370. This is something that plagued me with the traditional 22-250 and caried over into the 22-243win I ran prior to switching to the 22 Creedmoor. When I add to my collection very little leaves on the other side. I have some R26 and R23 that I want to try. Well, the good news is the 22 CM seems to have all the energy needed for the task. Required fields are marked *. Jeffs current endeavors cover a broad spectrum and he can be found anywhere from local matches helping and encouraging new shooters as they develop their own love of the sport, to the dove field with his friends, a charity sporting clays shoot, backpack hunting public land in Montana, or the winners podium of a major championship. I've worked up a couple different loads with slower powders. The process for making that brass was easy enough, but still, somewhat time-consuming. Satterlee Scott. I have plenty like that..including my original model 73 Winchester in .38-40! Among his training credits include NRA Instructor, AR-15 armorer, FBI Rifle Instructor, and Officer Low Light Survival Instructor. Life Extenders This one has my attention. Made to order we strive for a 2-3 week turn time when blanks are on hand (please email/call for current availability), we get Bartlein blanks weekly so lead times do vary. Just received my 22 creedmoor reamer and have a 20" Proof Carbon Savage pre-fit in 223 that I'm going to have reamed out and picked up a Savage take off 22-250 barrel to ream and use for fire forming/prairie dogs. Evidently they have a thin jacket. Shooting heavier bullets at more reasonable velocities also calms some barrel-burning qualms. 22 Creedmoor Bartlein Barrel Build a 22 Creedmoor Bartlein to fit your needs! I stopped buying them after a while..its just repeating over and over. I totally agree! The 22 CM drops below that 800 ft-lb threshold at between 600 to 775 yards depending on the bullet and velocity of Copper Creek's different offerings. With a 22 BRA (22 BR with 40deg shoulder) youll have plenty of velocity. These cartridges include (from left) the .22-250 Remington, .22 Creedmoor and .22-250 Ackley Improved. Extremely stable and very accurate across a great many firings. If you've neck turned, it will be closer to .252". Yet the 22-243 had obstacles of its own, with it often having somewhat narrow and finicky accuracy nodes. I had a rifle built by Meredith Rifles, using a Defiance action, Bartlein barrel, Manners stock andNightforcescope. The original 6XC chambering was designed based off the usage of 22-250 brass which typically has a web diameter in the range of .461-.463. The item "Thompson Center Encore SS PH 3007599 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel-NEW" is in sale since Saturday, June 26, 2021. The only thing needed is a fast twist barrel to stabilize the long, high BC bullets; 1 x 7 7.5 twist. 22 Creedmoor. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. For those wanting to know more about the .22 Creedmoor, check out this video we put together for you below! There is also 22 Creedmoor SRP brass available offering small rifle primer holes for shooters preferring small rifle primers. Barrel life variable depend on your rifle, barrel, load, velocity and bullet. In our research though, it seems to have been made first either by George Gardner of GA Precision or by Tim McWhorter of McWhorter Custom Rifles. Both these rounds are considered fantastic for long-range shooting. others are using non magnum but its what I have and im getting single ES with them so im not changing it. Ammo, Erosion from bullet friction alone is minimal as suggested by the longer barrel life of "mild" cartridges like 30-30 Winchester, 22 Hornet, and especially 22 rimfire. Well, it seems opinions are mixed, and you know what they say about opinions. After hundreds of comments, phone calls, and mess. If you want to run light bullets fast, just build a 20 tactical and run the 32gn v-max at 4100. The action is a standard Savage 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor purchased at Cabela's during their sale. We were all enlistedour CO/Officer in charge was an Ensign straight out of the Naval Academyand he was in agreement with all of his men (us)that this was cake duty and that God is the benevolent supreme being by stationing us there temporarily on TAD. Heavier 88, 90 or 95gr .224 will deliver even more energy down range with the 22 Creedmoor, but you will need at least a 1-7 or 1-6.5 twist to stabilize them properly as we found our 1:8 twist Krieger 28.1 barrel was just not enough to stabilize the 88gr Hornady ELD-Match bullets (even though Hornady recommends 1-7 minimum we still had to try), and the sweet spot was the 75gr Hornady ELD-Match for our 1:8 twist rate. You could achieve better barrel life going with a slower powder especially with the 80 and heavier bullet weights. Load development was stupid simple, thanks to an excellent smith in Shaen (shooter71) and a rock creek blank. H4350 is kind of a "go-to" powder for the Creed case but I have had really good performance and barrel life out of H4831, H1000 and RE23. Is Cheap Thermal Worth It? When you hit a deer you could hear a loud Thwapp! In front of me was a dry wash I could see deer enter it on one end and pop out about 100 yards in front of me. There arent really any large scale manufacturers making a 22 Creedmoor Factory Rifle, however, there are somewhat off the shelf 22 Creedmoor rifles available from companies like McWorther custom rifles and GA Precision to name but a few. The accuracy nodes are wide and forgiving, the feeding is boringly reliable, and the performance out in the world has been dominating. The same brothers that forged Thor's hammer Mjolnir. So, was a 22 CM worth spending the time and money to build? Great idea. They wouldnt allow me to stay on shore duty if I re-enlisted I didnt really want to end up o the U.S.S. And barrels cost less than new truck tires! There are not yet 22 Creedmoor SAAMI specifications, however with the popularity of the cartridge and how its use has become widespread, we should soon see SAAMI release drawings a specifications for it. With super light recoil, and speeds exceeding that of a hot 22-250 by 150-200fps, the 22 Creedmoor takes down coyotes at any distance, fast. Barrel life, according to most precision shooters is basically the number of rounds expected before the rifle shows inaccuracy of more than one MOA. .22-250. Compare it to Factory ammo available to everyone for the last 50-75 years to see if its even worth the bother to wildcat it. Gun writers simply ran out of stuff to write about..and manufacturers ran out of new and improved items to sell. But at the end of the day, a rifle is made to be enjoyed, so dont hold back on shooting your rifle over concerns of losing accuracy, but rather enjoy the rifle and monitor barrel life so that you can prepare for a replacement when one is due. There are a number of things that a shooter can do to reduce barrel wear. Maps & Charts . Our 22 Creedmoor is loaded to fit in rifles running the standard .081 freebore or longer. All with R26. JavaScript is disabled. You guys all using 6 Creedmoor dies with different bushings? I then send those pieces of fired brass off to Whidden Gunworks to have a custom full length sizer and micrometer seater die set made. Like most things Creedmoor the performance of the CM is exaggerated by pitting the highest BC bullets against standard 308 bullets and even getting that data completely wrong. I presume the Alpha brass is good too. Mason? 2,959. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! When you use the link above to shop for one of the products, we receive a small commission from the sale, at no extra cost to you. The 22 Creedmoor or 22CM as some call it, was bound to happen at some point as almost every new caliber or cartridge created, gets necked down to a wildcat with a lighter bullet for more speed at some point in time, however the exact person to first do it is still to be confirmed. This is known as a barrel log. I moved a couple of years ago..I sorted through hundreds of gun magazines, its all the same. The barrel may still produce many years of happy shooting. I picked up a whidden full length sizer, but have always used a modified 6.5 redding seater, Yes i did send in some chamber fired brass to whidden, seems pretty standard though, as for rigging up a seater , used a redding 22-250 stem in a 6.5 cm competition seater die, hope that helps. The reason this cartridge stood out in the first round hit study, is because these heavy for caliber bullets have relatively high ballistic coefficients, and can be launched at fast speeds resulting in less wind and elevation corrections being required. Skip to content. Starting with a .260" bushing on the first pass and finishing with a .250" will often work quite well. JavaScript is disabled. I kept the barrel short to run a suppressor. This rifle is an absolute nightmare on Coyotes, Feral Hogs, Prairie Dogs, and Whitetail Deer. The Creedmoor gets its longrange performance reputation from a combination of 140- to 143-grain, high B.C. In fact, I compared wound tracks in ballistics gel and it was virtually indistinguishable from a 168 gr ballistic tip from a 30-06. I'll elaborate more on 25 Creedmoor in future stories! Rather than gripe, i got out of my tree and left it to the combat hunters. For instance, 22 LR's can go much further than 5-10K, while 223 types can burn out in less than 1K. I have been shooting 22 Creedmoor since 2014 and have pressed it into service as my primary coyote hunting cartridge. This was a super accurate load but rather slow for this cartridge. You can also neck 6mm Creedmoor down to 22cal easy enough. Ive heard of guys blowing up 90 and 95 smks with 6.5 twist barrels. I'm rough on my barrels but since I can rechamber myself I don't worry too much. I can tell you for an absolute fact that the 90 gr berger vld at 3400 fps is a death ray for white tails. With a CCI200 primer I got the following with an 82 grain Berger. And, if you shoot an AR platform, a Blaser R8, or Sauer 202, you can swap out barrels on your own in seconds. So, it is definitely more than just the energy numbers that is important. Your email address will not be published. The reason for this is to generate the highest muzzle velocities, and lowest Standard Deviation of velocity. Ive used the same round on whitetail deer and inside of 100 yards it takes them off their feet and they never know what hit them. The general "rule" about barrel life concerns bullet diameter versus the cartridge's shoulder diameter ratio. The bullet diameter is .224, the same as any other .22 centerfire cartridge like the 223 Rem., 22-250 Rem., 224 Weatherby Magnum, 223 WSSM and 220 Swift. Estimated at roughly 1% the cost of a modern rifle setup The Ultimate Guide To Rifle Marksmanship will be one of the best purchases you could ever make as a rifle owner! Muzzle Energy: 3975ft-lbs Effective Range at Sea-Level Pressure: 1440 meters Accurate Barrel Life: 1003 Rounds Load #2 Bullet: Hornady 195gr ELD Match Propellant Load: 75.5gr of Vihtavuori N165 Muzzle Velocity: 2932fps Muzzle Energy: 3738ft-lbs Effective Range at Sea-Level Pressure: 1390 meters Accurate Barrel Life: 1895 Rounds Load #3 We have mentioned it a few times throughout this article so far, but really to reiterate, Lemi Shine works wonders for cleaning brass, removing the ugly green hue sometimes left after tumbling brass in a wet tumbler, and leaving the brass looking shinier than when it was new. The consensus on the optimal barrel length for 6.5 Creedmoor is 24" and 26", if the objective is long range Precision Rifle Shooting (PRS). A chronograph for example, mostly only a rare expensive piece of laboratory technology a few decades ago, is now part of almost every precision shooter and reloaders equipment, and a very affordable one at that. $65.75. So, the 22-250 would have slightly better life than 243, but close enough to not be a deciding factor at all, the 6.5 Creedmoor will have MUCH better life than these 2. Here's the relative bullet diameters for these three Creedmoors: 6mm: 0.243. The 22 Creedmoor finds itself in the perfect configuration for functionality with heavy bullets within short action magazine system limitations. My 22 Creedmoor is doing 3511 fps with 80 gr Nosler CC bullets. Personally for most other field competition shooting for distances below 1000 yards, we recommend the 22 Creedmoor above almost all other cartridges. With a wide selection of bullets and factory brass available, all thats needed is reloading dies to put it all together, and with reloading dies now available from major sources such as RCBS, Hornady, Redding, and Whidden, the 22 CMs seems on the rise. Handloading, CLICK HERE to read full GunsAmerica 22 Creedmoor test report. Anyway, enough preaching. ---Craddock Precision, Twist Options 1:7 and 1:12 (throated specific to twist), 3 Contours based on the most popular gas blocks:.750", .875", and .936", Threads: 1/2-28, 5/8x24, 3/4x24, or No Threads all with a 11 Target Crown, Polished or Bead Blasting included, Cerakote Available, Several Fluting Styles (Allow 1-2 more weeks for Fluting). Everyone has a different take on what they consider acceptable accuracy which will increase or decrease the numbers. The gunsmith would need to preferably have a 22 Creedmoor reamer to create a chamber in the barrel for it, however some advanced gunsmiths can turn a chamber based on a 22 Creedmoor brass case. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I built one after reading this and other articles. Especially factory 250 ammo. It is my feeling that Alpha Munitions OCD 22 Creedmoor is the best presently available. Very long barrel life; Cons of the 6.5 Creedmoor. At our 22 Creedmoor muzzle velocity of 3550fps the Hornady 75gr ELD-M bullets produces around 2099 ft.lbs of energy, taking it close to medium 6mm bullets or light 308 Winchester rounds. MFG #: FCTR22CM24BF. For the third purpose, hunting deer sized game the 22 CM will certainly shoot far enough flat enough to get accurate hits. An occasional shooter may still enjoy years of successful shooting beyond this point, however precision will gradually decline, until eventually reaching a point where precision and accuracy is no longer satisfactory. This requires that you have the correct reloading shell holder or case holder as it is sometimes called for each of the calibers that you reload ammunition for, to ensure that you can hold the cases in the reloading press to use them. 6mm Creedmoor Barrel Life. Yes deer are half the size of a man and do not have body armor but even the mostly ignorant DOD civilians are letting the military look at larger calibers than .22 because of lack of long range effectiveness. Furthermore, allowing the barrel to cool between strings of fire will also help extend your barrel life. The cartridge and rifle perform well with my handloads or the factory available ammunition. Leaning toward the more conservative number of 1300 ft-lbs, the same 22 CM bullets combinations are good out to 300- 400 yards. 24" 1:7 5R. Im up to 3 pronghorn and a pig with my 223 shooting 70 grain tsx, at reasonable ranges. Easily adapted components, brass, and dies. Many readers misinterpret our article on barrel life; assuming that were estimating the exact number of rounds until a shot-out barrel. Thorley enjoyed reading your article on Barrel Life. Please email or call us if you would like an estimated time of arrival.After turning down the barrel, we jacket a 416R Stainless steel match barrel in a roll-wrapped carbon fiber sleeve and load it under tension. I know several folks including myself have been playing with the 22 creedmoor for a while now. Im running the heavier bullets, typically 88 or 95 grains. For what this is worth, my load above shoots great with Hornady brass but as with most tinkers I wanted to try some loads using small rifle primers. You could achieve better barrel life going with a slower powder especially with the 80 and heavier bullet weights. I had a stand at the top of a rocky hill, surrounded by field. Research shows that recommendations range from 800 ft-lbs to 1300 ft-lbs. Want One? This is by far my favorite gun to shoot now. Most shooters first roll their eyes when hearing you say you have a 22 Creedmoor, just hearing the word Creedmoor, but they often do a double take a second or two later and ask, 22?. If you enjoyed this article please leave a comment below, and keep an eye out for future posts. One of the most common uses for the 22 Creedmoor caliber, is in compact truck rifles, or varmint rifles. Barrels . About the author: Most shooters first roll their eyes when hearing you say you have a 22 Creedmoor, just hearing the word Creedmoor, but they often do a double take a second or two later and ask, 22?. Why was it not compared to any of the mainstream big boomer .22 calibers, e.g. As with any multi-purpose tool there tends to be compromises. Bullet diameter.224, Shoulder angle30 degrees, Rim diameter.468, Case length1.92 inches, Primer typeLarge and small. A longer barrel may also contribute to bullet jacket failures in high-velocity loads with heavy-for-caliber bullets (85gr+). . The good news is thatHornady, Peterson, Gunwerks, Atlas Development Group (ADG) and Alpha Munitions are all selling factory brass now, so no more necking down the 6 CM for me. As soon as any new cartridge hits the mainstream market, hand loaders start tinkering with it making wildcat variations. The available ammunition is priced in line with high-quality hunting and match ammunition, which is taking the 22 CM a step beyond the realm of a wildcat requiring hand-loading, and getting closer to that of being a factory product. How ever those were heavy barrels on the rifles, I mainly now have sporter barrels on all I have with the exception of the Ruger American Predators, I have Three, there barrels are a bit heavier then the sports as Im sure you all ready know. This makes an outstanding round with only 7.1 mils drop at 1000 yards, and 1.7 mils of wind drift for a 10-mph wind at that distance. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on J The 22 Creedmoor finds itself in the perfect configuration for functionality with heavy bullets within short action magazine system limitations. Use at your own risk! I thought that might be the case just wanted to confirm. Peterson Cartridge has released their own drawings for the cartridge. Your email address will not be published. It shot the 80.5 Berger's with great accuracy also. Its a great quality barrel, but the only profile available at the time was far heavier than I would have liked, so in order to keep the overall weight of the gun down I had the gunsmith make it shorter, giving up some velocity to gain mobility afield. I think the barrel will give me a good barrel life based on round count but not based on time because I really enjoy shooting it and letting others try it. I have all the necessary dies and a good sample of bullets to try it out with. I have killed a couple with that round as well..but it took a lot longer to do so. For more information about keeping a Shooting Record Book, read our article titled: How to Estimate Range with the Mil-Dot Reticle (Subheading: How to Determine Target Size). He has been featured on several of Outdoor Channels Shooting Gallery episodes and on a Downrange TV series. I believe it will gain a true following like it's big brothers. My Rifle isnt Shooting Right: What to do? Putting an additional 14 grains of powder behind the same bullet and bumping pressure up another 2,000 psi cuts barrel life in half. At 4400, it was toast. Bipods and Rests . Depending on size of the game hunted, but generally you will often hear most industry authorities recommending 6mm, 243 Win, 270 Win for any smaller CXP2 type antelope, and 30-06 Spingfield or larger for CXP3 medium to large game. Nobody routinely uses a 45-70 or a 30-30 where they anticipate regular shots at over 100-150 yards; stupid comparison. I HAVE shot the bbls out a a few older models, which is WHY I went to the 22-250. Regardless of who the actual pioneer was, the caliber was created, and with it, possibly the all-time best 22 caliber rifle cartridge ever. The advent of the 6mm Creedmoor immediately had folks necking the hornady 6mm down to 22 cal and upon doing so found virtually the perfect case capacity for heavy weight .224 bullets. I'm going to try out 22x47L once this barrel is toast. Allow extra time for your barrel to cool between shots, and avoid rapid or sustained fire where possible. Thats some great information, i figure my barrel will be lucky to make it to 1000rds, 800-1000 seems to be a trend, Im running test with the 4831sc this weekend, and I think I low balled myself compared to those loads you posted, we will see, once again thanks for contributing, this really is one bad ass round. My main 26" barrel is pushing 80gr Berger's at 3525fps and is relentless inside 800yds. Your email address will not be published. Ensure correct methods of cleaning and maintenance. Compared to my rifle chambered in .308 Winchester which also has a 20" barrel, the 6 CM needs 30% less elevation out to 1,000 yards and is 25% better in the wind. This helps us keep this site going, and does not affect the price you would pay usually in any way whatsoever. Your favorite large rifle or small rifle magnum primer. On unknown distance targets, that flatter trajectory would result in more hits. We have found some 22 Creedmoor shooters pucking the bullet speeds in excess of 3400 fps to get around 1200 to 1400 shots out of their barrels, and some have been able to extend that with proper barrel care life letting the barrel cool between firing strings, and hBN coating their bullets. I did group it against one with far less rounds and it did not group as well. This erosion is accelerated when cartridges are loaded hot (adding additional propellant) with the aim of increasing the bullets velocity. A benchrest shooter will consider a barrel shot-out long before a hunter will. Cerakote Options: Put the Cerakote Code you would like and we'll do the rest! I never thought I needed another 6mm or 6.5mm cartridge. The one company is doing a buy one, get 50% off that barrel for the next barrel, so I figured I would build the first one expensive.