But he was an ambitious politician. In any event, he struck another car and left a 5-year-old occupant of that car paralyzed. If he did that stuff he was accused of, we never knew about it.. American Bandstand Serie. He said funeral services are pending. One, a district attorneys re-election campaign. The TV program AmericanBandstand was an icon in the entertainment industry, and an important driver of popular culture. Yet, as the third and fourth stories in this collection show, there was a downside toAmerican BandstandsPhiladelphia years. She liked to pose for photos the kind you could not take to your drugstore to get developed and she would do some other things, but would not allow sexual intercourse because she had a boyfriend and didnt want to cheat on him. Rest in peace dad. These were the guys I met during my first job in radio, in the music library at WIP, and whom I saw accompanying Horn during his nighttime radio show when I later worked at WFIL. A small table was next to the hosts platform, where guest performers would sit and sign autographs. Dorothy said that she did it willingly. She just walks up and introduces herself. In contrast, when Acosta once appeared on Bandstand on the full network he was not allowed to slow dance with Lynn. petite, less than 100 pounds, with a big bosom. Famous Hooks had known Clark for 40 years and says he never saw the man so upset. When Dick Clark wrote in his 1976 autobiography, Bandstand was a segregated show for years. Also, the kids danced to Whitemans live band, not to records. We would do dances like the slop, bop, slow drag and the grind, which originated in the black dance halls. Theres a dramatic difference between the description of Horn by his adult co-workers and what we hear from his teenage fans. SOME OF WHICH HAVE BEEN LICENSED BY ME AND/OR IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN. Hooks credits Dick Clark for personally choosing him to be a regular dancer on the show, the first black to gain that distinction. Since no black students went to school dressed like that, we couldnt get in anymore. This was her unique moral code. Horn led a double life that included activities his virginal dancers never dreamed of. So, you know, it was no big thing. When Horn admitted that he knew her, Annenberg ordered him to resign from the station. But Horn also was the bad guy who allowed blacks to be systematically excluded when it looked as if their dancing might dominate the show. The disc jockey might have gone back on the air after a few days, however, if the citys district attorney hadnt made a phone call to the station. Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 19 business days. Why did the station move so quickly to dump Horn? Happy 60th anniversary of the 4th anniversary of Bandstand going national! (My knowledge about this comes from the fact that I worked as record librarian at two Philadelphia stations while I was in school, and then was Night Operations Supervisor at WFIL.). When I look at video of you dancing on the show, I still am awestruck. Later, Ro bought Justine and Arlene onto the show as they lived in the same area. With Clark, the program became more popular than ever. I used to see Horn with the young girl, Lois Gardner, when she accompanied him to the station for his 11-to-midnight radio show. Bob was color blind, Sheldon told me; On the first shows there were black couples dancing on the floor along with white couples. The author worked at three radio and television stations involved in this report. The English Beat 1983 1 On American Bandstand Old Tv Music Photo When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. The SIX Show Tickets - Section GA Row GA, Dick Clark's American If ABC had not been the poorest of the networks, unable to provide daytime programs to its affiliates, Bandstand would never have been born. Most people around the station found him less than charming. Clark revamped Horns show for national broadcast by ABC. American Bandstandbuilt a national youth culture around the pop music records Clark played on the show and the commercial products his sponsors targeted to this $9 billion consumer market. So if you got on the show once you were assured of returning, as long as they liked you, ahead of people who phoned in or wrote in. He announced that the luncheon was being postponed because there was a labor dispute at the restaurant and city officials didnt want to cross any possible picket line. For more about your favorite dancers, read Bandstand Diaries. You had to line up at the end of each show and the producer picked whom he wanted to come back, so you had to please him. American Bandstand Serie. Donde Ver Streaming Online When Kenny Met Arlene | American Bandstand Diaries The Philly Years 'American Bandstand' kept secret that teen stars were gay PT. 01 Mar 2023 18:16:18 For all about the lifelong friendships and memories with the Regulars, read Bandstand Diaries. Eventually AmericanBandstand deserted Philadelphia and moved three thousand miles away. Dick Clark later wrote that he kept that dress code when he took over because it made the show acceptable to adults who were frightened by the teenage world and teenage music. Some observers might say that he was making the show acceptable to people who were frightened by the appearance of blacks. Carole Scaldeferri Spada, 70, 'Bandstand' dancer - Inquirer.com The partygoers at Wordens place knew to stop short with Maxine when she attended, because of her strict rule. Allison said it never happened and his wife provided him with an alibi, consisting of a log she kept of his activities. This was also a time of day when ABC didnt feed any network product to the local stations, leaving WFIL with a time gap to fill locally. The men sat on chairs against the walls of the studio and the girls sometimes knelt in front of them and pleasured them. Catholic schools in those days were 99% white. ES. In 1950 WPEN moved into a modern new building at 2212 Walnut Street. In all, 27 men were arrested. Lois testified that Horn took her to apartments where she willingly had sex with him, and she specified four dates starting in 1953 when she was 13. This, however, was basically a talent show and dancing was secondary. 1y. This show debuted on television from 2:45 to 5 p.m. on October 7, 1952. American Bandstand 1960s Dance Partners Barbara Warchol & Bruce Richard - YouTube 0:00 / 5:44 American Bandstand 1960s Dance Partners Barbara Warchol & Bruce Richard ABdancers 6.91K. Clipp called Grady and me to his office, Hurst related, and asked us to start in two weeks. Horn signed some of them to his own record label which he started with the help of a group of businessmen and musicians including Nat Segall, Artie Singer, Bernie Lowe and Harry Chipetz. Dick Clark's American Bandstand Theater, Branson, Missouri. They wrote thousands of People would phone the station if they wanted to attend, and callers were told there was a six-month wait. Not being able to get in, that was a way of life then. Legends In Concert official tickets are on sale for Tue Apr 18, 2023 - 08:00 PM at Dick Clark's American Bandstand Theater. He had become District Attorney when Richardson Dilworth resigned that office to successfully run for mayor in 1955. For more about your favorite dancers and show, read Bandstand Diaries. In this part of the story well see what Bob Horn did that caused the ABC network and its Philadelphia affiliate to ignore the 50th anniversary of the programs start. These kids invented new dance steps and made The Bunny Hop and The Bristol Stomp popular. Throughout the rest of the 1950s, "American Bandstand" featured a number of famous acts including the debut of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (November 22, 1957), Jerry Lee Lewis (March 18, 1958), and Dion and the Belmonts (August 7, 1958). Perhaps ready for a night on the town! The English Beat 1983 1 On American Bandstand Old Tv Music Photo. Peggy Waggoner Names talks about her experience: When I started dancing on American Bandstand in 1965, blacks and whites could dance, but not as couples. Clip From 'American Bandstand' In 1964 Has Viewers - apost Clark became a national icon with the popular dance show American Bandstand in the late 1950s, hosting the show for more than 30 years. Here are some of the most popular Regulars who danced on Dick Clark's American Bandstand beginning in 1957. Clark inherited WFIL's local television show Bandstand (1952-56) from the deejay Bob Horn, who proved that teenagers liked watching their peers dance. #americanbandstand #bandstanddiaries #edkelly #dickclark #nostalgia #book, Here are Marilyn Brown and Diane Iaquinto. Epoxy Flooring UAE; Floor Coating UAE; Self Leveling Floor Coating; Wood Finishes and Coating; Functional Coatings. Harris replaced the Kefauver footage with a new opening that he shot with Vic Blanc talking into the camera and warning the public of the dangers of sex. On the Billboard Hot 100 this week 1) Tossin and Turnin Bobby Lewis 2) I Like It Like That Chris Kenner 3) The Boll Weevil Song Brook Benton 4) Dum Dum Brenda Lee 5) Hats Off To Larry Del Shannon 38) Stand By Me Ben E. King The Bandstand Top 10 today (I can only see the first 8) 1) Lets Twist Again Chubby Checker 2) School Is Out Gary (U.S) Bonds 3) Last Night The Mar-keys 4) Dum Dum Brenda Lee 5) Pretty Little Angel Eyes Curtis Lee 6) Hats Off To Larry Del Shannon 7) Tossin and Turnin Bobby Lewis 8) I Like It Like That Chris Kenner Thank you for watching!_______________________________ This is dedicated to my dad who, through our long car trips together listening to oldies radio (950 KJR Seattle) and by listening to his Turtles (and other) records when I was a kid, first inspired my passion for the wonderful music of the 1960s. The station advertised, Troubles in town, sporting the monicker of Steve Allison. When Blancs campaign was launched, friends of Walter Annenberg hoped that the DA would find some dirt on WPENs popular night-time talk host, Steve Allison, because Allison often criticized Annenberg and the Inquirer. Our parents didnt teach us what was going on.. The Secret Gay Lives Of The "American Bandstand" Dancers Race and American Bandstand, The Seven-Year Itch: West Philly Loses American Bandstand, Report accessibility issues and request help. The young dancers on American Bandstand were the reality stars of the 1950s and '60skids nationwide rushed home to watch their every move and chatter about their relationships and exploits. Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. American Bandstand 1961 - 4th Anniversary Show (Partial - YouTube Pelculas Series Personas Noticias. So if a majority of the attendees came from the Catholic schools, that made the audience overwhelmingly white. Teenagers sat in rows on bleachers that were assembled on one side of the studio. Models Inc. was based on a Senate investigation of modeling schools, and in its original form the film opened with a statement by U.S. Cameraman Vince Gasbarro said: Horn was old-looking. To get in the studio, boys must be wearing a suit jacket and tie. Event starts on Saturday, 18 March 2023 and happening at Edoff Memorial Bandstand at Lake Merritt, Oakland, CA. I would think, that with the off-season moves the dugout dance party will also end. Clark looked like one of the kids. (Horn was 40 when he left Bandstand and Clark was a babyfaced 27.) Even when black artists like Chuck Berry and Fats Domino appeared in live shows, 95% of the audience was white. Did you know that when Dick Clark announced her Sweet 16 birthday party on air, it turned into mayhem when kids from all over Philadelphia showed up? He asked a bunch of us to be on a committee to act as examples to other teenagers, and he gave birthday cakes and Christmas gifts to all of us on the committee. EN ES DE FR. Off-camera his personality was abrasive, egotistical and aggressive. In this climate, Philadelphias new district attorney decided to make sexual misconduct in broadcasting a public issue. He later became a Hollywood screenwriter. If we dont do something, theyll take over was the expressed fear. #americanbandstand #bandstanddiaries #philadelphia #television #nostalgia #book #author #coffeetablebook #lennynatale #kennyrossi, Here is Janet Hamill who danced on American Bandstand from 1957-1960. I was so innocent that I thought they wouldnt stand in our way. A generation later, courts began to rule that a woman has the right to say no at any point in a relationship. Self 1 episode, 1970 Karen Carpenter . Some of the kids would jitterbug in an impromptu fashion while Grady and Hurst played popular records on the air. Filmes Sries Pessoas Notcia. Maybe he was on edge because the vice trial was about to start a few days later. When the program went on the ABC network, stations in the South, where racial segregation was the norm, objected to the fact that black dancers occasionally appeared on the dance floor. Clarks daily afternoon program pioneered in musical television by showcasing a range of black and white pop music performers, including R&B, rock n roll, and country. Victor Blanc, the DA, was investigating what he called teenage sex rings. He phoned Lew Klein, an executive at WFIL who was a lodge-brother of his, and warned him not to reinstate Horn because theres more to the story; this is only the beginning of Horns problems. The district attorney phoned Klein as a personal courtesy, and to serve the public interest. A funeral director in Newtown Square confirmed Monday night that Mrs. Spada had died, but declined to divulge the details before meeting with her family. I'm sure I missed several of the regulars that are featured here today in the opening credits. One of the regular attendees at the broadcasts was Bernie Jacobs, a man who ran a modeling agency. Horn was from the old school, a radio announcer conversant with varied forms of music, from semi-classical to pop. While Clark opened. This historical marker recalls Dick Clarks American Bandstand, which was broadcast from West Philadelphia from 1957 to 1964. After impressing the host, Clark praised the teens' performance. American Bandstand kept secret that teenage stars were gay Whose Culture? BERTIE'S BANDSTAND. Allison thought this decision was reprehensible and criticized Annenberg for it. Did you know after Bandstand he enlisted in the army and served with Elvis Presley in Texas? When he ran dances out-of-town he always made sure that each of us had rides to get there and back. Party Rockers Dance Reality Show () - Philip Punzo | Listen Notes Created by Chris Thompson and starring Bella Thorne and Zendaya, the show follows the adventures of CeCe Jones (Bella Thorne) and Rocky Blue (Zendaya) as they star as background dancers on a local show, Shake It Up Chicago. The mother was put on trial for manslaughter. For more about your favorite dancers, read Bandstand Diaries. Dorothy she of the Allison incidents testified that she stripped and played a game called 69 with Wordens wife at Hound Dog Hill while guests took photos of the two of them together. She took a variety of dance lessons when she was young, including tap, modern and ballet. He took my friend Adam and me out fishing on his boat, along with some of his record-company friends, and asked us for ideas to improve the show. One singer who appeared on his show says Horn was a loud-mouth smart-ass with an appetite for girls. Other acquaintances use words like arrogant and self-centered. It was just his shtick. American Bandstand (TV Series 1952-1989) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. In July 1956, Dick Clark, a commercial pitchman and deejay with an unsullied reputation, inherited WFIL-TVsBandstandfrom scandal-tainted Bob Horn and revamped it for a national audience of teenage consumers as ABCsAmerican Bandstand, which first aired in August 1957. At the time, I didnt know it was racism to go somewhere and not get let in. There were trysts of another Jacobs model and another WPEN announcer, and other girls had encounters with a publicist and a photographer, respected professionals who were in love with their wives and felt they were just having some harmless, job-related fun on the side. Barbara Marcen, a white regular, remembers a day when one black teenager tried to slow-dance with a white girl. : Am, D, G, C. Chordify la tua piattaforma n. 1 per gli accordi. late 1950s American Bandstand Regulars. He took us fishing on his boat and introduced us to his wife and kids. DA Blanc spent considerable time and money on his probe, renting a center city storefront as an unmarked headquarters instead of using his own office in City Hall. #americanbandstand #bandstanddiaries #nostalgia #philadelphia #holiday #holidaygift #vintage, Bobbi Young appeared on Bandstand and American Bandstand from 1953-1958. A black man who grew up a few years after that is Thomas E. Kennedy: I grew up at 47th and Haverford, two city blocks from the studio. 2023 Getty Images. For the most part, the white kids from West Catholic and Roman Catholic, etc., were intimidated when we got on the floor. American Bandstand aired between 1956 and 1963 on ABC in Philadelphia Its teenage stars danced in pairs and some formed on-screen partnerships Many, including Arlene Sullivan, were gay but hid. 'American Bandstand' kept secret that teen stars were gay Horn was arrested for drunk-driving on June 21, 1956 and was suspended from his broadcasts, then was forced to resign. Annenberg asked Horn to confirm or deny that he knew the teenage girl who was cooperating with Blancs investigation. Bob became like a second father to me. Did you know they were best friends since the 1st grade? He says that he would have loved to see blacks in the studio, so I could learn their dance steps. Instant Download. The perfect way to visit San Juan, Puerto Rico. 24 talking about this. When I took over the programming of Menefees afternoon show in the summer of 1953, Menefee attacked me on the air. American Bandstand 1950s Dance Partners 1 ABdancers 6.85K subscribers Subscribe 33K views 6 years ago As a teenager in the late 1970's I always enjoyed watching American Bandstand on Saturday. American Bandstand 1960s Dance Partners Barbara Warchol & Bruce Richard As a teenager in the late 1970s I always enjoyed watching American Bandstand on Saturday afternoons. The Mann Act was law, barring anyone from transporting a person across state lines for an immoral act, even when it was consensual. American Bandstand was an American music-performance show that aired in various versions from 1952 to 1989 and was hosted from 1956 un. This went on for almost three years, sometimes in a radio studio while Horns records were spinning on the air. But our Philadelphia program had a history of racial exclusion that was more complex and more interesting. "American Bandstand" stars Kenny Rossi and Arlene Sullivan. Some people have criticized Dick Clark for keeping blacks out, but clearly the policy was started by Horn, before Clark.