Birth date: October 17, 1918. "[17]:122 She said, "Basically, I am a good, gentle person, but I am attracted to mean personalities. She also starred in the Technicolor musical Cover Girl (1944), with Gene Kelly. One night, Heston and his wife Lydia joined the couple for dinner at a restaurant in Spain with the director George Marshall and the actor Rex Harrison, Hayworth's co-star in The Happy Thieves. [citation needed]. Of course, that didn't really come until the last seven or eight years. She also appeared in Henry Kings The Snows of Kilimanjaro (1952), based on a short story by Ernest Hemingway. [47] She particularly relied on the advice of Carroll Righter, who called himself "the Gregarious Aquarius" and the self-proclaimed "Astrologer to the Stars", who informed her that the optimal time to sign a film contract was exactly 2:47a.m., causing her to set her alarm for 2:45 so she could be sure to obey his instructions. Rita Hayworth was one of the highly sought after actors in the 40s, but unfortunately, while her career was on a constant high, Hayworth's personal life couldn't have been more different. Garbo, Hedy, Gardner, Hayworth. Aly Khan, legendary playboy son of the Aga Khan, prowled the Riviera in relentless pursuit of speed, sport, and women. Hayworth had no interest in the sport, but became a member of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club anyway. Chalkley died on January 9, 1966. In 1951, Hayworth set sail with her two daughters for New York. Susan Hayward (Juin 30, 1917 - Mairch 14, 1975) wis an American actress. [86], Hayworth was a lifelong Democrat who was an active member of the Hollywood Democratic Committee and was active in the campaign of Franklin Delano Roosevelt during the 1944 presidential election. 135. nice. (1958), a movie based on real events, Hayward portrayed Barbara Graham, a prostitute who was convicted (possibly wrongly) with two companions of having murdered a wealthy widow in 1953 and was executed in the gas chamber. [17]:359 When asked how her mother was doing, Yasmin replied, "She's still beautiful. She owned 25% of the profits with her own company and had hit after hit and she had to get married and had to get out of the business and took a suspension because she fell in love again! As of August2017[update], a total of more than $72million had been raised through events in Chicago, New York, and Palm Beach, Florida.[95][97][98]. Because she could not remember her lines, her scenes were shot one line at a time. [17]:337338 In November, she agreed to complete one more movie, the British film Tales That Witness Madness,[17]:343 but because of her worsening health, she left the set and returned to the United States. "[52] Her provocative role in Gilda, in particular, was responsible for people expecting her to be what she was not. Judson was as old as her father, who was enraged by the marriage, which caused a rift between Hayworth and her parents until the divorce. I was provocative, I guess, in some things. Check out our rita hayworth nude selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our wall hangings shops. [17]:2830 She played an Egyptian girl in Charlie Chan in Egypt (1935), and a Russian dancer in Paddy O'Day (1935). [58] Ford later moved next door to her in Beverly Hills in 1960, and they continued their relationship for many years until the early 1980s. She attended public school in Brooklyn, where she graduated from a commercial high school that . The press coined the term "The Love Goddess" to describe Hayworth after she had become the most glamorous screen idol of the 1940s. "[34], The fourth atomic bomb ever to be detonated was decorated with a photograph of Hayworth cut from the June 1946 issue of Esquire magazine. [8], Margarita's father wanted her to become a professional dancer, while her mother hoped she would become an actress. Advertisement. Less than a week earlier, his other ex-wife, Joanne Dru, also got a bench warrant because she said he owed $4,800 in support payments for their three children. "[84], In July 1981, Hayworth's health had deteriorated to the point that a judge in Los Angeles Superior Court ruled that she should be placed under the care of her daughter, Princess Yasmin Aga Khan of New York City. She received a percentage of the profits from this and all her subsequent films until 1954, when she dissolved Beckworth to pay off debts.[37]. [6] The picture was so successful, the studio produced and released another Astaire-Hayworth picture the following year, You Were Never Lovelier. Years after her film career had ended and long after Cohn had died, Hayworth still resented her treatment by both him and Columbia. RKO borrowed Hayward for The Lusty Men (1952) with Robert Mitchum, then she went back to Fox for The President's Lady (1953), playing Rachel Jackson alongside Charlton Heston; White Witch Doctor (1953) again a costar with Mitchum; Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954), as Messalina; Garden of Evil (1954) with Gary Cooper and Richard Widmark; and Untamed (1955) with Tyrone Power. But I did the picture, and Pal Joey, too. Feet rating stats (456 total votes) 232. beautiful. The men in her life often used and damaged her, and ultimately her failed . His financial problems were so bad, he could not return to California without being arrested. She sued Orson Welles for back payment of child support which she claimed had never been paid. Nonetheless, she acquired an agentas well as a new name, Susan Haywardand in 1937 she embarked on a series of uncredited bit parts in movies. No one can live that way. [18], Sam Bronston borrowed her for Jack London (1943) at UA. Birthplace: United States edit. At Universal Hayward was in The Saxon Charm (1948) and she did Tulsa (1949) for Wanger. In 1948, at the height of her fame, Hayworth traveled to Cannes and was introduced to Prince Aly Khan. [70] Hayworth rejected his offer of $1million if she would rear Yasmin as a Muslim from age seven and allow her to go to Europe to visit with him for two or three months each year, stating: Nothing will make me give up Yasmin's chance to live here in America among our precious freedoms and habits. And I just saw this lovely girl destroying herself. [79], In 1972, the 54-year-old Hayworth wanted to retire from acting, but she needed money. Legend has it that Rita Ranch, on Tucson's southeast side, was named after actress Rita Hayworth by one-time beau Howard Hughes, who once owned the land on . She wanted to go to Washington to hold a press conference, but Harry Cohn wouldn't let her because it would be unpatriotic." She took two or three suspensions! She made comedic television appearances on Laugh In and The Carol Burnett Show in the 1970s. They were found and photographed by a reporter from Confidential magazine. Birth City: Brooklyn. She is the hostess for the events and a major sponsor of Alzheimer's disease charities and awareness programs. Margarita Carmen Cansino was born in Brooklyn on October 17, 1918. The news sent photogs rushing to the Santa Monica Courthouse on Sept. 7, 1943. He had a one-night stand with Marilyn Monroe, a 6-month fling with Judy Garland, and a 40-year, on-and-off affair with Rita Hayworth. [14][15] In 1926, at the age of eight, she was featured in La Fiesta, a short film for Warner Bros.[6], In 1927, her father took the family to Hollywood. Sam Goldwyn borrowed her for My Foolish Heart (1949), which earned her an Oscar nomination, then she went back to Fox for I'd Climb the Highest Mountain (1951), which was a hit.[25]. [46], Before her Catholic baptism, Hayward had been a proponent of astrology. The actress and dancer, born Margarita Carmen Cansino on Oct. 17, 1918, rose to fame during Hollywood's golden age, starring in films like "Strawberry Blonde" (1941) and "Tales of Manhattan" (1942). Neither film was particularly successful; nor were I Thank a Fool (1962) at MGM, Stolen Hours (1963), and Where Love Has Gone (1964), which co-starred Bette Davis. In 1952, Hayworth refused to report for work because she objected to the script. Joan Fontaine Actress. Haymes's $5,000 weekly salary was attached by the IRS to pay a $100,000 bill, and he was unable to pay his pianist. and the studio wouldn't pay for it. It was made for Paramount but was sold to United Artists. Body Measurements: Height, Weight. Sheehan was grooming her for the lead in the 1936 Technicolor film Ramona, hoping to establish her as Fox Film's new Dolores del Ro. [94], The public disclosure and discussion of Hayworth's illness drew international attention to Alzheimer's disease, which was little known at the time,[33] and it helped to greatly increase federal funding for Alzheimer's research. [23][24] Bob Landry's photo made Hayworth one of the top two pin-up girls of the World War II years; the other was Betty Grable, in a 1943 photograph. The papers picked that up, of course. They had a daughter, Rebecca, who was born on December 17, 1944, and died at the age of 59 on October 17, 2004. Orson Welles, Rita Hayworth get married Courtesy of AP. [45], Harry Cohn thought of me as one of the people he could exploit, and make a lot of moneyAnd I did make a lot of money for him, but not much for me. At Republic she was Wayne's love interest in The Fighting Seabees (1944), the biggest budgeted film in that company's history.[19]. Several production members, including Hayward, John Wayne, Agnes Moorehead, Pedro Armendriz (who committed suicide after a diagnosis of cancer), and director Dick Powell later succumbed to cancer and cancer-related illnesses. Judson had failed to tell Hayworth before they married that he had previously been married twice. [71], In January 1953, Hayworth was granted a divorce from Aly Khan on the grounds of extreme mental cruelty. Hayworth was one of the biggest stars of Hollywood's Golden Age. [84], The Rita Hayworth Gala, a benefit for the Alzheimer's Association, is held annually in Chicago and New York City. Her father was a transportation worker, and Susan lived a fairly comfortable life as a child, but the precocious little redhead had no idea of the life that awaited her. It worsened and she did have an alcoholic breakdown and landed in the hospital. The press coined the term "The Love Goddess" to describe Hayworth after she had become the most glamorous screen idol of the 1940s. For two years, Hayworth's photograph was the most requested pin-up photograph in circulation. Many movie pundits have referred to her performance in I Want To Live as the greatest Hollywood acting performance ever, of any actress, of all time. [6], Hayworth appeared in five minor Columbia pictures and three minor independent movies in 1937. She was the top pin-up girl for GIs during World War II.[1]. [59][60][61][62][63], In 1937, when Hayworth was 18, she married Edward C. Judson, an oilman turned promoter who was more than twice her age. [15] The film served as inspiration for the 1960s TV series Bewitched and was based on an unfinished novel by Thorne Smith. She was a friend who we will miss. In early May, Hayworth moved to Nevada to establish legal residence to qualify for a divorce. From the start of their marriage, Haymes was deeply in debt to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Following her graduation from Girls Commercial High School, she began working as a photographers model. It carried over to his dancing. Hayworth was born as Margarita Carmen Cansino in Brooklyn, New York, the oldest child of two dancers. Hayward made Thunder in the Sun (1959) with Jeff Chandler, a mediocre wagon train picture about French Basque pioneers,[36] which was a modest success financially, and then Woman Obsessed (1959) at Fox. By the late 1940s, the quality of her film roles improved, and she achieved recognition for her dramatic abilities with the first of five Academy Award for Best Actress nominations for her performance as an alcoholic in Smash-Up, the Story of a Woman (1947). Rita Hayworth (October 17, 1918 - May 14, 1987), was an American actress who reached fame during the 1940s as the era's leading sex symbol. To the world, Rita Hayworth was a fiery-haired love goddess who captivated audiences on the big screen with a single slip of a satin glove, served as one of America's favorite pinups during . The order of these top Rita Hayworth movies is decided by how many votes they receive, so only highly rated Rita Hayworth movies will be at the top of the list. Rita Hayworth on August 11, 1941 . Oor Lady o Perpetual Help Cemetery (Carrollton, Georgie) . Fred Astaire, with whom she made two films, You'll Never Get Rich (1941) and You Were Never Lovelier (1942), once called her his favorite dance partner. "[12]:67 She noted "I didn't like it very much but I didn't have the courage to tell my father, so I began taking the lessons. [49] She had a modeling contract with Max Factor to promote its Tru-Color lipsticks and Pan-Stik make-up. [27], In March 1942, Hayworth visited Brazil as a cultural ambassador for the Roosevelt administration's Good Neighbor policy, under the auspices of the Office of the Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs. Susan Hayward (born Edythe Marrenner; June 30, 1917 March 14, 1975) was an American film actress, best known for her film portrayals of women that were based on true stories. He hoped Hayworth could influence the government and keep him in the United States. Think of what she could have made! When I suggested purchasing a home, he told me he didn't want the responsibility. [76] On September 1, 1961, Hayworth filed for divorce, alleging extreme mental cruelty. After a tumultuous two years together, Haymes struck Hayworth in the face in 1955 in public at the Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles. In January 1976, at London's Heathrow Airport, Hayworth was removed from a TWA flight after having an angry outburst while traveling with her agent. Hayworth married Orson Welles on September 7, 1943, during the run of The Mercury Wonder Show. In late 1934, aged 16, she performed a dance sequence in the Spencer Tracy film Dante's Inferno (1935), and was put under contract in February 1935. He was very possessive of me as a person, he didn't want me to go out with anybody, have any friends. [33], Hayward's last film with Wanger, I Want to Live! She would break all the furniture and she'd get in a car and I'd have to get in the car and try to control her. Hayworth is perhaps best known for her performance in the 1946 film noir Gilda, opposite Glenn Ford, in which she played the femme fatale in her first major dramatic role. I was under contract, and that was it. During her time at Fox, Hayworth was billed as Rita Cansino and appeared in unremarkable roles, often cast as the exotic foreigner. Actress Rita Hayworth, glamour star of the 1940s and 1950s, in a sultry publicity photo. Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth starred in the 1946 noir classic Gilda. [39] During this period in Hollywood, contract players could not choose their films; they were on salary rather than receiving a fixed amount per picture. She shot her scenes on a sound stage with co-star Clark Gable in Hollywood. The press release stated the target date for fulfillment of the stamp and Academy Award to be on October 17, 2018, on what will be the centennial of Hayworth's birth. [6][7] Her maternal uncle Vinton Hayworth was also an actor. Hayworth was the daughter of Spanish-born dancer Eduardo Cansino and his partner, Volga Hayworth, and, as a child, she performed in her parents' nightclub act . And yet she remained unhappy and unloved until the day she passed. They married in Las Vegas. [17], Hayward appeared with William Holden in Young and Willing (1943), a Paramount film distributed by UA. On June 30, 1966, she was baptized Catholic by Father Daniel J. McGuire at SS. (Getty) When Hayworth was pregnant with their daughter Rebecca, who was born in 1944, Welles . Nevertheless, the picture was highly publicized. Rita Hayworth's highest grossing movies have received a lot of accolades over the years, earning millions upon millions around the world. Hayward in the early 1940s. Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture Drama, Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Susan_Hayward&oldid=1137644340, Best Drama Actress Golden Globe (film) winners, Best Musical or Comedy Actress Golden Globe (film) winners, Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actress winners, Deaths from brain cancer in the United States, Neurological disease deaths in California, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, TCMDb name template using numeric ID from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 5 February 2023, at 18:54. She has sort of triumph and tragedy story like Rita Hayworth. They write new content and verify and edit content received from contributors. Free shipping for many products! I wish Turner Classic Movies will attempt to do a story on her. "[21] Astaire commented that "Rita danced with trained perfection and individuality She was better when she was 'on' than at rehearsal." [54], Susan Hayward has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6251 Hollywood Boulevard.[55]. Photo by Ernest A Bachrach. Back at Paramount she was Loretta Young's sister in And Now Tomorrow (1944). [40] Hayward went on to appear in such movies as Adam Had Four Sons (1941); Cecil B. DeMilles Reap the Wild Wind (1942); The Fighting Seabees (1944), in which she costarred with John Wayne; and Deadline at Dawn (1946). However, in I'll Cry Tomorrowwhose vocals were once widely attributed to professional ghost singer Marni Nixon[30]Hayward sang the vocals undubbed and appears on the soundtrack. At an unknown date (ca. In 1950, he made his screen debut in The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd. [16]:253. They had me so intimidated that I couldn't have done it anyway. [48], In 1949, Hayworth's lips were voted best in the world by the Artists League of America. [41] She said, I was in Switzerland when they sent me the script for Affair in Trinidad and I threw it across the room. Cohn continued to showcase Hayworth's dance talents.