[32] Following Nick Anderson's tribute to Wilson in wearing number 25 at Illinois, many others who graduated from Simeon and moved on to play for the Illini have carried on the tradition of wearing the jersey number 25. Ben Wilson, who died in 1984 in Chicago, was once rated among the best high school basketball players in the country and recruited by the University of Illinois weeks before his death. The "Fab Five" later paid homage to Benji when Juwan Howard sported the No. Brandon Wilson is former Simeon star Ben Wilson's son. The two engaged in a loud argument, with an infuriated Wilson and Moore exchanging expletives. Moore served 19 years and 9 months in prison before his release in 2004. Try again. Much like Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis, Benji began his high school career as a guardin his case, a point guardbut eventually outgrew his position, albeit without leaving behind his perimeter skills. The inscription on his headstone reads "Best in the Nation.". If that happened to me or one of my fam members, I would own that place. He lost his own son, William IV, to gun violence in July 2017. Plant a tree. Wilson, 17, suffered gunshot wounds to the chest and groin and arrived at the hospital at 1:15 p.m. He also had a sister, Brelyn (Suga). The couple had conceived a child early in 1984, a son named Brandon, and Rush would neither speak to Wilson nor let him see his child. Born in 1967 to Ben Wilson Sr. and Mary Wilson (ne Gunter), Wilson was raised in the Chatham neighborhood on Chicago's South Side. Almost immediately thereafter, she became withdrawn from Wilson and largely focused on taking care of the baby. Brandon enters and graduated from the Long Island Police Academy following in his Pops footsteps to become a police officer. Moore 5'9" 165lbs and Dixon 5'11" would not go up to a 6'8" 239 lb angry man and dig in his pockets. Wilson was twenty years old when he followed the boy into the men's washroom at the Oceanside Harbor. While waiting outside while Erica was in the store a upset and angry Ben Wilson and girlfriend come up from behind Moore arguing. Jun 28, 2007 - Brandon Wilson went undrafted in the 2007 NBA Draft making him an Unrestricted FA. "I'm self-motivated. They always said he bumped into Moore. He also left Brandon, who was 10 weeks old at the time of his father's death. Ben "Benji" Wilson, Jr. - Tribute to a Basketball Legend The prospect of making his Chicago basketball debut in front of some of them might seem daunting, but Brandon denied feeling the need to fulfill any expectations. Sadly Brandon, former college player turned Port Washington police officer was killed in a single car crash January 13th. While the first meeting between the two men was three years ago, they appeared publicly for the first time Thursday at Malcolm X College on the Near West Side. The first, directed by Coodie and Chike and produced in association with ESPN Films, was titled Benji and made its debut at the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival. But all the accolades and sales pitches became meaningless babble shortly after noon Nov. 20 as Wilson walked past a convenience store about a block from Simeon. Moore remained there until the police began pounding on Murphy's door looking for him later that evening. 9. When an athlete dies young, there is anger and a horrifying sense of loss, but also a nagging question: How good might he have been? Weve updated the security on the site. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. I am not buying the lie and you shouldnt either! This page was created in memory of Ben Wilson (3/18/1967 - 11/21/1984) whose life story. [11] During the 198283 season, he was the only sophomore on the varsity basketball team. Uncle by heart, Napoleon Morales; aunts by heart, Phyllis Holiday, Pamela Shannon, and mothers sorority sisters of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, especially line sister of "Mass Confusion. He had one son, Brandon Wilson (b. September 1984),[24] with his high school girlfriend Jetun Rush. "He's not your stereotypical shooting guard, but he'll get you some rebounds, defend and rough it up inside," Long Island Lutheran coach Ronn Hall said. 40s. Sorry! The brothers of slain Simeon High School basketball star Ben Wilson are turning to forgiveness after their brother's death. Really, it was probably her fault arguing over something stupid and trivial with Ben in the first place! Failed to remove flower. Benji's passing had a massive impact on his community in the immediate term. I started crying when the young girl started singing Going up Yonder while the other people were falling out and haven't stopped crying since. I want to make sure other young people dont have to go through the things I had to dealwith.. Benjamin Wilson Jr. (March 18, 1967 November 21, 1984) was an American high school basketball player from Chicago, Illinois. Benjamin Wilson Mary Wilson Follow. Nick Anderson was the first to do so during what would've been Wilson's senior season and throughout his collegiate and pro career. Benji was a 6'9" jack-of-all-trades swingman who's since garnered comparisons to Kevin Durant but who patterned his game after those of Magic Johnson and George Gervin. This story is still so unbelievably sad. After watching the documentary I am even more convinced of their innocence. She settled in New York, where she married Edward Rivers. Brandon spent his early childhood in Chicago before moving to New York with his mother, Jetun, and his stepfather, Edward Rivers. On January 13, 2022 he was called home for eternal rest. Theres so much hatred when someone is shot; they never want to forgive. They saw the king of the world., Mimi Faust confirms that Ex Fianc Ty Young had Affair with Drew from RHOA, New Mother KeKe Palmer is impressed with single mothers, Kim Kardashian and Kelly Rowland Work Out Together and Show Off Abs in Mirror Selfie, Jackson State University President Thomas Hudson has been placed on administrative leave, Thoughts from Ms. Going to Africa. Pisces Named Ben #6. [8], At 12:37 PM local time, a call was placed to 911 for emergency assistance. Moore yelled up the street at Wilson to watch where he was going. During an appearance on "The Daily Show," Wilson said she was banned after taking a bathroom selfie. The sponsor of a memorial may add an additional. But she began to push away from him, and he became confused. View the profiles of people named Branden Wilson. Special friends; Ana Memic; uncles, Darrell Rush (Dawn), Peter Cashaw; great aunt, Patricia Cashaw; aunts, Tracy Person (Leroy), Erica McClay (Alton), and Alicia Rush; godmother, Marcia Kinnie, and a host of cousins, and friends. [14] Brandon Sherrod Wilson, Jetun and Bens son would become a star player at Riverside Church and St. Francis Prep,[15] and Long Island Lutheran High School and would be recruited by the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, where he played one season. This page was created in memory of Ben. All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery. [12] ESPN HS regarded Wilson as the best junior in the country for the 198384 season. Brandon, at 6-2, is a "tweener," with not quite the height to play forward in a high-level NCAA Division I program and not quite the perimeter skills to play guard there. Paramedics were slow in reaching the scene and at approximately 1:20 PM, Hambric decided to take it upon himself to get his star player to the hospital. Brandon Wilson. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. I think Moore was thinking more about trying to have xes with Erica Murphy like any other 16 year old boy would. A lot is placed on their shoulders. Wilson said Disney asked her . HOWLLelujah! In fact, per Jackson, Magic called Benji's house during the Illinois state championships in 1984 to wish him luck. I'll admit, I believed Moore when he talked about what happened when Benji bumped into him, and didn't say excuse me. That passion produced a player Dildy insists was better in high school than current NBA stars Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant. Ben Wilson father's name is Benjamin Wilson Sr and mother Mary Wilson. They may delete the videos as some sites have been doing before. Real loss. They didn't accuse Ben of stealing anything. 25 jersey for the New York squad to honor the father he never knew. As the school year started, Wilson was beginning to grow more and more frustrated by the situation and his interactions with Rush became significantly tense, to the point where they were having loud arguments in the school hallways between classes. The city's murder rate has declined overall since 1984, but has seen a 27 percent spike this year, per Jon Greenberg of ESPNChicago.com. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. Early the next morning, Mary Wilson asked that her son be taken off of life support, and Ben Wilson died shortly thereafter. Look at this praise dancing doggie. Ben Wilson, a 6-foot-7 forward from Simeon High School, was considered the No. [33] ESPN premiered a documentary on Wilson titled Benji on October 23, 2012. It took them hours before they could get a trauma surgeon and by then Wilson had lost so much blood the doctors said he would be a vegetable. Despite ample legal trouble, Sizemore had steady film and television credits. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. He leaves to mourn: his mother, Mary; his father, Benjamin, Sr.; brothers: Brumet and Curtis Glenn, Jeffery (11) and Anthony (8) Wilson and a two month old son, Brandon Wilson. Brandon Wilson, who was on death row for the 1998 ambush slaying of a 9-year-old boy in Oceanside, was found dead Thursday hanging in his cell at San Quentin State Prison, state corrections officials said. What happened to Ben Wilson? - Sage-Answer Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code. It may not display this or other websites correctly. i dont buy billy moore's story, it was to perfect making him out to be the 'victim', the fact they cut school was armed with a gun and went to that school looking for a kid over 10 dollars tells me they were up to no good.i believe they decided to rob benji, him already being upset with his girlfriend he probably wasnt in his right mind frame and didnt think about this kid has a gun maybe he should back down. Jetun Rush was the prosecution's lead witness and testified to the same effect. Photo Credit: Ball Is Life On September 11th, 1984, Ben Wilson had his first child, Brandon, with then-girlfriend Jetun Rush. "It really doesn't matter where I go," he said. Learn more about managing a memorial . Chicago (March 18, 1967 - November 21, 1984) was an American high school basketball player from Chicago, Illinois. Delivering Benji's eulogy at that ceremony was the Reverend Jesse Jackson, who'd been a candidate to represent the Democratic party during the presidential primaries earlier that year. Brothers of slain Simeon High School basketball star Ben Wilson find 59. My heart feels so heavy after watching that documentary. Wow that was a very good documentary. That same team also featured Tim Hardaway, a five-time All-Star and four-time All-NBA performer best known for his prominent role on the "Run TMC" Warriors of the early 1990s. Brandon went on to coach basketball. Use the links under See more to quickly search for other people with the same last name in the same cemetery, city, county, etc. Maybe us outsiders looking in don't know the whole story. This - 1000x's. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Wilson began playing basketball at an early age, starting in elementary school. "He was a fierce competitor.". To use this feature, use a newer browser. "His serious side was out there on that court," said Dildy, whose King team lost to Simeon in the 1984 Public League semifinals. Michael O'Brien on Twitter: "Brandon Wilson is former Simeon star Ben So many problems, causes and affect for them. You are using an out of date browser. The two boys then decided to hang out for a little while and wait to see if Erica Murphy, Wilson's classmate and a friend of Moore's, was around. Brandon Wilson. According to Chicago's then emergency protocol, Wilson was taken to the nearest available hospital, which was St. Bernard Hospital in Englewood. 30 FOR 30: BENJI (TV) - Paley Center for Media Ben Wilson was one of three children born to Ben Wilson Sr. and Mary (Gunter) Wilson and was raised in the Chatham neighborhood on Chicago's South Side. At the screening, Billy Moore and Ben Wilson's brothers Anthony and Jeffrey appeared onstage together and the two Wilsons publicly forgave Moore for his action; this was the dying wish of Mary Wilson, who passed away at the age of 63 in December 2000. Oceanside boy's killer hangs himself in prison - San Diego Union-Tribune Brandon was called home on January 13, 2022 and God said, "Well Done. We found 15 records for Brandon Wilson in CO, TX and 10 other states. An estimated 350 students from the citys public and Catholic schools attended the event. The money issue got resolved before they got to the school, so now media said they were there to steal from Benji Wilson of all people? Stories abounded about "Benjy" shooting baskets into a garbage can at age 5, of how deftly he handled his burgeoning celebrity and of how hard he studied because he wanted to be more than just a basketball player. Give a memorial tree. Try again later. 25 in 2009, ending a long-standing tradition at the school of the team's best player wearing it on his jersey to honor Benji's memory. I feel for kids in his position. That sh!t was tragic. A: The biopic is organized by Jeff Wilson, he will announce once it's done. [15] As his senior season approached, it was believed that Wilson was considering scholarship offers from the University of Illinois, DePaul University and Indiana University.[17]. Facebook gives people the power. ). . In fact, Parker recently worked with Jordan Brand to design a special shoe for the Simeon basketball team with Wilson's number on it. If somebody had just robbed or took money from Moore's cousin then in the same day they are going to rob somebody else. Brandon Sherrod Wilson was born January 13, 1984 to Benjamin Wilson and Jetun Rush. I did it for the city of Chicago, said Jeff Wilson, 46. Benjamin Wilson: Son Sentenced To Six Years In Jail For Attacking Ben Wilson, who died in 1984 in Chicago, was once rated among the best high school basketball players in the country and recruited by the University of Illinois weeks before his death. "I don't think I've ever played against or seen a player who had the whole package of skills with his size," said Wheeling coach Lou Wool, who played for the Evanston team that lost to Simeon and Wilson 53-47 in the Class AA state championship game in 1984. He was not a pro yet with pro money. Sisters Jacora and Jasmine Morris jump into icy pond to save 2 kids. "He legitimately could play any position on the floor.". From left, former U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, Rapper Common, William Moore, and Anthony and Jeffrey Wilson, speak at Malcolm X College, during a conversation and private screening of Both Sides of the Gun, Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020, in Chicago. He attended and graduated from the Nassau Police Academy. Centennial, CO. View Full Report. Oh hell no. For the 198384 season, Simeon advanced to the Illinois AA State Championship, which was held at Assembly Hall on the campus of the University of Illinois at UrbanaChampaign. Please try again later. There is a problem with your email/password. Steele retired all six Padres batters he faced, then headed to the bullpen to throw 25 more pitches. The jury was only out for about one hour before returning guilty verdicts against both Moore and Dixon. March 18 Basketball Player #2. This is a carousel with slides. He served for five years on the PWPD force, but was killed in a single-car crash on the Northern State Parkway near East Hempstead, New York in January 2022 after losing control of his vehicle. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Brandon accepted Christ at a young age. During that same summer of 1984, when he shot to the top of the prep hoops stratosphere, Ben Wilson had the opportunity to strut his stuff alongside two future NBA stars. Benji meant so much to us, and his story really scared me, knowing it happened to a great player. Moore and Dixon had cut school that day, and Moore had a .22 caliber pistol in his possession. Brandon earned a scholarship to University of Maryland Easter Shore. Why do you think they were trying to rob him? Dixon was given the lesser sentence because even though he was involved in the crime, Moore had been the one to fire the fatal shots.[21]. A system error has occurred. When this happened, it was a real tearing for me because Benji was like family to me, and Billy [William] is my real family, Moore said. Jetun met and married Edward Rivers. Once they were informed that Wilson had died, his teammates were asked whether or not they wanted to go forward with their season opener, which was scheduled for later on against the team they defeated to win the state championship in 1984, Evanston Township; they won the game. The actor suffered a brain aneurysm Feb. 18 at his Los Angeles home and died in his sleep Friday at a hospital in Burbank, California, his manager said. I am sure 6'8" 239 lbs Ben Wilson bumped into 5'9 165 lb Billy Moore and didn't say excuse me because he was in a heated argument with his girlfriend. He underwent five hours of surgery at St. Bernard Hospital but died at 6 a.m. Nov. 21. What the hell is going on in our community such that ten fck!ng dollars is the impetus for settling a beef ? 1 prep player in the class of 2013, has taken a similar approach to his time at Simeon. I shouldn't have watched this. I kind of understand your point of view a little bit after watching this concerning the guy that actually shot him. Brandon Wilson Ben Wilson/Sons. Benjamin Wilson Jr. (March 18, 1967 - November 21, 1984) was an American high school basketball player from Chicago, Illinois. those of you who will end with LARGE STUDENTS LOAN BALANCESwhat if everyone relocated outside of the U.S.???? Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? Brandon Wilson Obituary (1984 - 2021) | Warren, Ohio From what . This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. I was emotionally compromised meeting this man.. Ben left that playful side of his personality behind when it came to basketball. BW shouldnt have to continuously live in a state of silence in order to appease people in society, Mom of NYC teen killed subway surfing plans to sue MTA, Jon Stewart expertly corners pro-gun Republican: You dont give a flying f**k about children dying". That boy could be alive today if not for that. Wow. He shot Wilson twice, with one bullet striking his groin and the other nicking his abdominal aorta. There are no volunteers for this cemetery. He was the only non-senior on a squad that upset previously-undefeated Evanston at Assembly Hall in Champaign in the final. Omar Dixon, 15, tried to rob Wilson, who resisted. The New York native, by way of Chicago, played for the Hawks in the early 2000s. The conflict, however, was resolved before Moore got there. The jury needed only an hour of deliberation to convict them. Why do people post controversial opinions online but are surprised when they get dragged? Failed to report flower. Benji first gained national notoriety in the summer of 1984, when he was named the No. Brandon Sherrod Wilson was born January 13, 1984 to Benjamin Wilson and Jetun Rush. Brandon wore the No. If she wasnt able to forgive, I dont think her sons wouldve.. Wilson's temper eventually would get the best of him as he shoved a teacher to the floor when the teacher tried to break up another argument between the two. Anything can happen. Resend Activation Email. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. [1] Wilson, a Neal F. Simeon Vocational High School basketball player, was regarded as the top high school player in the U.S. by scouts and coaches attending the 1984 Athletes For Better Education basketball camp. What happened to Ben Wilson Son? St. Bernard was a small community hospital that was not equipped to handle emergencies or trauma cases like shootings, so a call was put out for any available trauma surgeon to report immediately to St. Bernard. But it seems like so many variables were involved.