After bumping into Portia, the daughter of Brother Jeremiah, he instantly falls in love with her, and the feelings are mutual with her. The Minstrel welcomes the audience back and tells them of the stresses that the Bottom brothers and Shakespeare face ("Welcome to the Renaissance (Reprise)"). Scribd is the world's largest social reading and publishing site. He is completely disapproving of Portia's relationship with Nigel. When some of the actors become suspicious of Nostradamus and why he is at their theatre, Nick lies and says that Nostradamus is an actor. to Skip Seattle Premiere and Debut on Broadway in March", "COVID-19 stuns struggling theater industry", "Cast & Creative Team - Something Rotten", "Drama Desk Nominations: 'Hamilton' Leads the Polls (FULL LIST)", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Something_Rotten!&oldid=1138335997, Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical, Outstanding Production of a Broadway or Off-Broadway Musical, "Welcome to the Renaissance" Minstrel and Company, "God, I Hate Shakespeare" Nick, Nigel and The Troupe, "God, I Hate Shakespeare (Reprise)" Nick, "A Musical" Nostradamus, Nick and Ensemble, "The Black Death" Nick, Nigel and The Troupe, "Bottom's Gonna Be on Top" Nick and Company, "Welcome to the Renaissance (Reprise)" Minstrel, "Hard to Be the Bard" Shakespeare and Ensemble, "We See the Light" Portia, Nigel, Brother Jeremiah, Nick, Ensemble, "To Thine Own Self" Nigel, Nick, Shakespeare and The Troupe, "To Thine Own Self (Reprise)" Nick and Nigel, This page was last edited on 9 February 2023, at 03:26. Bookstore The show launched a US national tour with previews at Proctors Theatre in Schenectady, New York on January 10, 2017, before officially opening at the Boston Opera House on January 17. She renounces her father's ideals and joins the Bottoms, Shylock, and Nostradamus in exile. NICK: A puritan? Bea, Nick's wife, tells them the events of her day and how she acquired their dinner as she serves it. THIS FEATURE IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR PRO MEMBERS. Sheri Gross We. proto-feminist wife and Brooks Ashmanskas as Brother Jeremiah, Portia's literally Puritanical but clearly closeted father . And what role are you auditioning for? When: 8 p.m. Saturday and March 11, 2:30 p.m. Sunday and March 12, Where: Renaissance Theatre, 138 Park Avenue West. David Tennant, 2009; Maxine Peake, 2014; "It's really one big love letter to musical theater.". He rants about his hatred of Shakespeare to the troupe members, who are horrified ("God, I Hate Shakespeare"). Citrino has recently been working on a cruise ship. Brothers, Nick and Nigel, are desperate to write a hit play but are stuck in the shadow of William Shakespeare, the Renaissance Rockstar. The Puritans leave and Nick tells Nigel what the soothsayer said, but neglects to tell him that it was not Nick's own idea. Portia! . Bea, Nick's wife, tells them the events of her day and how she acquired their dinner as she serves it. Set in the 1590s, brothers Nick and Nigel Bottom are desperate to write a hit play but are stuck in the shadow of that Renaissance rock star known as "The Bard." Portia and Nigel set out to show him that love and art aren't bad things, and they're actually good ones. If you love comedy combined with some of the most hilarious songs and dances you've ever seen, then 'Something Rotten' is the perfect show to get you out of the winter doldrums.". SPECIAL DEAL: The 1595 Upstart Crows Tour T-Shirt, as seen in New Line Theatre's production of Something Rotten! Leah Gum Nostradamus messes his future telling up and tells him that the show will be called Omelette. He's Shakespeare's assistant, Eyepatch Man: Tells Shakespeare that Nick has been visiting Nostradamus, There are also multiple acting troupe members with names but the only one I remember is Francis Flute, That's all for this character breakdown. Renaissance regular Leah Gesouras is back as Beatrice, Nick's wife. "It's a fun time the whole way through," Citrino said. [5] It was nominated for ten Tony Awards, including Best Musical, and won one (Christian Borle as Best Featured Actor in a Musical). Nigel has just met Portia, a Puritan and the daughter of Brother Jeremiah, and they immediately fall in love. That continues to be how I live," Chaviano said. Brother Jeremiah Show Something Rotten Gender Male Age Range Adult, Mature Adult Role Size Supporting Dancing Mover Voice Tenor, Baritone Time & Place london, england, 1590s Tags puritan religious protective obsessive bitter unyielding furious moral litigious father Analysis Late 40s to late 50s. (22) March 23rd 2015, Broadway Unknown ~ MP3, untracked . follows the tale of the Bottom brothers, Nick and Nigel, who struggle to find success in England's theatre scene and compete with the astronomical success of their contemporary and The Bard himself, William Shakespeare. I loved Something Rotten. When Nick and Nigel Bottom decide their theatre troupe rivals that of William Shakespeare the best way to beat him is to hire a soothsayer and write a musical about Eggs right? He worries about their future together, but Portia reassures him by saying that everyone, even Nick and Brother Jeremiah, will change their minds about their relationship when they hear Nigel's beautiful sonnets ("We See the Light"). Brother Jeremiah then runs in to find a drunk Portia and once again admonishes Nigel. Shylock has become their new investor, though they cannot find a title that would make his role legal. 1 39. Something Rotten! Broadway Musical Comedy Original St. James Theatre 246 W. 44th St., New York, NY SYNOPSIS: Not content to let William Shakespeare get all the attention, the conniving but. There is no doubt that Brother Jeremiah is a one joke character, and that joke is that he's a closet homosexual. Meanwhile, the troupe is rehearsing "Omelette: The Musical" ("It's Eggs!"). Work Light Productions presents the new non-Equity national tour of the Tony-nominated musical Something Rotten!, launching September 19 at the RiverCenter for . A local soothsayer foretells that the future of theater involves singing, dancing, and acting at the same time. She renounces her father's ideals and joins the Bottoms, Shylock, and Nostradamus in exile. Something Rotten! Nostradamus agrees to help Nick further with the creation of the musical, as he is sure it's going to be a big hit. Nick pays him with most of his savings. The couple sets out to prove Brother Jeremiah and Nick wrong because they're tired of "the feuding family plot" and they want to be together. [Brother Jeremiah:] He's a writer, doing what he can [Puritans:] What he can! :snowflake: Snowy Sunny :snowflake: [mini Hiatus]. And it went nowhere. 'Something Rotten' Continues through Aug. 7 at Beck Center for the Arts, 17801 Detroit Ave. Lakewood. A spy tells him that the brothers are trying to steal Shakespeare's upcoming hit. Buena Park, CA, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee ", VIDEO: FUNNY GIRL Announces Broadway Closing; New Performance Montage, McClure, Kritzer, Brightman, & Iglehart to Lead SPAMALOT. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand. The wonderful book The Friendly Shakespeare Producer: Kathleen Breedveld Where: Renaissance Theatre, 138 Park Avenue West. Brother Jeremiah- Male, 40 to 50s. Nigel is not very happy with "Omelette" and claims that it doesn't feel right. Brian d'Arcy James (Nick Bottom), John Cariani (Nigel Bottom), Christian Borle (Shakespeare), Jenny Hill (u/s Bea), Brad Oscar (Nostradamus), Kate Reinders (Portia), Brooks Ashmanskas (Brother Jeremiah), Peter Bartlett (Lord Clapham, Master of the Justice), Gerry Vichi (Shylock), Michael James Scott (Minstrel, Ensemble), Linda Griffin, David . But Nigel is a secret fan, as is the lovely Portia (Kate Reinders), a seraphic blonde whose huffy father, Brother Jeremiah (Brooks Ashmanskas, hilarious), leads the Puritan anti-theater crusade. I thought the humor very funny. His full name is "Thomas Nostradamus" as revealed when Nick confuses him for /the/ Nostradamus. Something Rotten! He yells at his quill and makes it talk back to him (negatively) to the point where Will "strangles" the quill and his valet has to calm him down. Something Rotten! Scribd is the world's largest social reading and publishing site. She has made a deal with Shakespeare that they will be exiled to America ("To Thine Own Self" (Reprise)). Before Nick and Shakespeare erupt into blows, Brother Jeremiah arrives to retrieve Portia, who has been- drinking alco Her father takes her away in a rage. (Nick + Nostradamus). JEREMIAH, PURITANS THEY GOT THE RIGHT, THEY GOT THE RIGHT TO BE TOGETHER JEREMIAH I NEED NO FURTHER PROOF . SPECIAL DEAL: The original 1588 Tamburlaine Show T-Shirt, as seen in New Line Theatre's production of Something Rotten! "David Armstrong, artistic director of 5th Avenue Theater, said that after the positive buzz surrounding the musicals workshop in October [2014], he and Mr. McCollum began discussing the possibility of the show bypassing Seattle in favor of Broadway. Nigel sits down to try to write a new play. Research Playwrights, Librettists, Composers and Lyricists. Please be aware you will be asked to create 8 counts of improv movement. Something Rotten! Lisa Radzanowski Bea tells him how she could help them out, but Nick is ambivalent ("Right Hand Man"). ", That could also describe "Something Rotten.". "Toby Belch" arrives at the theatre and is hired for the company. A hit on Broadway, "Something Rotten" was nominated for 10 Tony Awards. Chris Poston Something Rotten! The musical opens with "The Minstrel" welcoming the audience to the European Renaissance ("Welcome to the Renaissance"). Nick reprimands Nigel for falling for Shakespeare's false friendship and for falling in love with a Puritan. [Brother Jeremiah:] She's the daughter of a preacher man [Puritans:] Whoo! Something Rotten! Created by Grammy Award-winning songwriter Wayne Kirkpatrick, and successful screenwriters Karey Kirkpatrick and John O'Farrell, Something Rotten was lauded by audience members and critics alike, receiving several Best Musical nominations and hailed by Time Out New York as "the funniest musical . Set in the 1590's, brothers Nick and Nigel Bottom are desperate to write a hit play but are stuck in the shadow of that Renaissance rock star known as "The Bard". Bea enters, disguised as a lawyer, and makes Nick confess that he stole from the Money Box. to read our character analysis for Brother Jeremiah and unlock other amazing theatre resources! They then meet up and discuss their love of poetry (I Love the Way). follows brothers Nick and Nigel as they try to top Shakespeare's plays with their own acting troupe. Lord Clapham: Bob Stratton Its target is the straight-male fear of penetration and his confusion resulting from his inability to read gay codes,coupled with hiscertainty that each and every gay man is trying to bed him. Chaviano will be making his Renaissance debut. The team then joined with Casey Nicholaw, who brought in several of the actors, resulting in the workshop in 2014. An adorably quirky Puritan girl whom Nigel meets on the street. Nigel explains to Portia that he sent one of his sonnets to The Bard for feedback. Update as of June 17, 2022: We are so sorry to advise that all remaining performances of Something Rotten! is an homage to musical theater and the great bard, William Shakespeare. "[14] The TheaterMania reviewer noted that the song "A Musical" "encapsulates the entire book-musical form in six hilarious minutes. Kate Reinders (Portia), Brad Oscar (Nostradamus), Brooks Ashmanskas (Brother Jeremiah), Gerry Vichi (Shylock), Michael James Scott (Minstrel/Snug), Peter Bartlett (Lord Clapham/Eyepatch Man) First Preview! The iconic example is the "Not That There's Anything Wrong with That" episode of SEINFELD. Music Theatre International's Something Rotten! Kad said: "I didn't think the humor was gay panicky, just obvious and tired. Most people aren't offended, except by the been-there-done-that-ness of it all. Hamilton22 said: "I don't know why gays would want to come see it.". and "Make an Omelette" are combined into one track because of the brevity of the former. "everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace.". Portia's father. He gets excited at the possibilities of success and dreams of a future in which crowds cheer for him and Shakespeare bows down to him ("Bottom's Gonna Be on Top"). New Play Festival Spring 2023 - Audition Sign Up Sheet. Portia knows that Jeremiah is completely disapproving of her affairs, much less her relationship with Nigel. Shakespeare's Richard II was obviously a hit compared to Nick's. 9 52. do u know who her father is?-Nick, You really want that guy giving a speech at ur wedding reception-Nick and more. They are rehearsing for their upcoming play "Richard II", while William Shakespeare (referred to as "the Bard") is opening Romeo and Juliet. Tours and international productions have followed. In court, Shylock, Nick, Nigel, and Nostradamus are on trial and Nick is sentenced to beheading. That is another piece that was also performed at Theatre 166. Nick cannot stand Shakespeare at all, thus resulting in the song "God, I Hate Shakespeare." Playhouse on the Square: August 19th Sept 18th, 2022, Book by: John OFarrell and Karey Kirkpatrick, Music and Lyrics by Karey & Wayne Kirkpatrick. Ohio, as Brother Jeremiah, a scolding Puritan who tries to have the Bottom brothers thrown in jail; Allyson Szymanski of Adrian, Brother Jeremiah's daughter who falls in love with Nigel Bottom; Stephen Kiersey of Brownstown Township as . Nigel has just met Portia, the daughter of Brother Jeremiah; they immediately fall in love. When a local soothsayer foretells that the future of theatre involves singing, dancing and acting at the same time, Nick and Nigel set out to write the worlds very first musical. Something Rotten! I skip read the first post but unless it means when all else fails, throw in a 'are you being served' poofy joke and the populus will wet their breeches. John O'Farrell He tries to keep Portia away from Nigel, but it usually doesn't work. Nick and Nigel Bottom are two brothers who run a failing theatre troupe in the year 1590. I don't know anything about gay panic humor but Something Rotten sucked so much. They finally joined with John OFarrell to write several songs and presented those songs and a treatment to the producer Kevin McCollum in 2010. Something Rotten! Meghan Hornbacker Tickets Welcome to the Renaissance and the outrageous, crowd-pleasing musical farce, Something Rotten. Ooh ooh Go on Do it Go on Do it right now Yeah! Brother Jeremiah: This is unacceptable I do not approve Portia: But I know you'll win him over His heart is gonna sing And he'll love you When you do your thing Nigel: If love is love purely Then let me opine That all love is surely divine Brother Jeremiah: Good God, y'all I see the light You changed how I'm thinking Cause I was blind And you . Nigel sneaks out to London Bridge to see Portia, where he reads her another poem about his love for her. As Nigel sleeps, Nick faces the real reason he hates Shakespeare: "the Bard" makes Nick feel self-conscious ("God, I Hate Shakespeare (Reprise)"). Something Rotten! Here's another character breakdown for one of the funniest shows on Broadway, (Also when I type Something Rotten! "Toby Belch" arrives at the theatre and is hired for the company. is a historical fiction, musical comedy. Shelly McDowell The book Shakespeare's London: Everyday Life in London 1580-1616 Something Rotten! haterobics said: "Something sucking a lot doesn't sound negative to the gays. Note: All Troupe Auditioners will read all 3 parts of Robin, Peter, and Francis in the TROUPE - pg 99 & 100 side, BEA (& NICK) - pg 16 - pg 18, Right Hand Man, All (Bea w/ Nick to read), NIGEL & PORTIA - pg 43 & 44, I Love the Way, All (Portia and Nigel), LORD/ LADY CLAPHAM - pg 9 - 10 end with Like the Bard, Welcome to the Renaissance, mm. Osvaldo Mora San Juan Capistrano, CA, Accessibility Statement Terms Privacy |StageAgent 2020. [BROTHER JEREMIAH] Good God, y'all . So I don't know why gays would want to come see it.". SOMETHING ROTTEN START: 1/2 BROTHER JEREMIAH Side 2 of 2. Full Synopsis Act One The musical opens with "The Minstrel" welcoming the audience to the European Renaissance ("Welcome to the Renaissance"). Set in Renaissance England, it's a play about playwrights, . What: "Something Rotten". 1 41. Breakdown: Brother Jeremiah is the Puritan father of Portia and secondary antagonist in Something Rotten!. ARTc3 formerly ARTc. have been canceled. Thespian Troupe 4982 served up comedic rhythm and fun. Something Rotten!.pdf - Free download as PDF File (.pdf) or read online for free. Gullible fans such as Nigel Bottom. . "I'm proud to say I'm a working actor. New Line Gear Nick is having qualms about "Omelette: The Musical" as well, but dismisses these doubts once he learns that the town lined up all the way around the theatre for tickets. The brilliant Shakespeare sitcom Upstart Crow The story follows the Bottom brothers, Nick and Nigel, who . The most interesting Hamlets: Laurence Olivier, 1948; John Gielgud, 1951; "This is one of the funniest collections of actors ever to grace our stage. NICK & NIGEL - pg 7 & 8 (Cut Robins lines)BEA (& NICK) - pg 16 - pg 18NIGEL & PORTIA - pg 43 & 44NIGEL - speech pg 100 (Nick please just listento to sleep perchance to dream.)SHAKESPEARE - bottom of pg 58 - 60NOSTRADAMUS - pg 24 ("Did I hear a need - pg 27SHYLOCK - pg 14 (bottom of page) - pg 15BROTHER JEREMIAH - speech on page 35 (cut Nicks line)LORD/ LADY CLAPHAM - pg 9 - 10 end with Like the BardTROUPE - pg 99 & 100 Start Nigel Im still working. End -" Its better than Shakespeare". Choreographer: Meghan Hornbacker, Shakespeare: Tommy Lassiter 1 41. [5] The tour cast featured Rob McClure (Nick Bottom), Adam Pascal (Shakespeare) and Josh Grisetti (Nigel Bottom). Contact Us When Nick sees her at work one day, she tells him that she is pregnant, thus putting more pressure on Nick that Bea is trying to take away. He tells the audience that "not everybody is getting what he wants", referring to Nick Bottom, who runs a theatre troupe with his brother Nigel. is a historical fiction, musical comedy. Chriistopher Plummer, 1966; Nicol Williamson, 1969; "Nick comes to Nostradamus hoping to find out what the future of theater is, so he can get a leg up on Shakespeare," Roberts said. Wiki is a FANDOM Music Community. Hailed by Time Out New York as "the funniest musical comedy in at least 400 years," SOMETHING ROTTEN is a joyously outrageous entertainment and an irresistible ode to the . Will Nick's show Omelette succeed or will he still be stuck in the shadow of The Bard? He asks Nostradamus what Shakespeare's new hit is going to be. His whole life is upended when he falls in love with a Puritan girl named Portia," Chaviano said. Most recently, he acted in "Assassins" in Atlanta. Andrew Kracht March 23rd, 2015 [Broadway] Brian d'Arcy James (Nick Bottom), John Cariani (Nigel Bottom), Christian Borle (William Shakespeare), Brad Oscar (Nostradamus), Heidi Blickenstaff (Bea Bottom), Kate Reinders (Portia), Brooks Ashmanskas (Brother Jeremiah), Peter Bartlett (Lorde Clapham/Judge), Gerry Vichi (Shylock), Michael James Scott (Minstrel)Notes: First Preview . Shop Broadway Souvenirs in BroadwayWorld's Theatre Shop! Nigel wants to do "The Brothers from Cornwall", the story of the two brothers' lives, but Nick vetoes saying it has to be bigger, and decides to do a play about theBlack Death. A militant Puritan, and the father of Portia, a. Kathleen Hornbacker (u/s Portia) Portia then arrives, having escaped the tower. That is the plot of "Something Rotten," the latest production from the Renaissance Theatre, set to run the next two weekends. Something Rotten Book By Karey Kirkpatrick and John O'Farrell Music and Lyrics by Wayne Kirkpatrick and Karey Kirkpatrick Conceived by Karey Kirkpatrick and Wayne Kirkpatrick Directed by: Anthony SanFilippo Parental Advisory: Something Rotten! Something Rotten - Free ebook download as PDF File (.pdf), Text File (.txt) or read book online for free. Artistic Staff and Cast for Something Rotten! I didn't get it, but I almost do. . Jan 14, 21, 28 at 8:00 PM Something Rotten! It's a second home to me," she said of the Ren. More information: Visit rentickets.org or call 419-522-2726. Nico Jaochico Will is a very deceptive character who has all the best things about fame, but still wants more. Not quite offensive because I don't think it's my place to be offended. In court, Shylock, Nick, Nigel, and Nostradamus are on trial and Nick is sentenced to beheading. She is a strong leader and a powerful woman who is quite persuasive when she wants to be. A militant Puritan, and the father of Portia, a The production . SOMETHING ROTTEN! A hurt Nigel scrambles out onto the street and is confronted by Shakespeare, who steals his hit under the guise of "improving it". Something Rotten is the loving roast master of Broadway. I should have a Les Mis one up soon and maybe a Hamilton one I'm not sure yet :). Results may vary. For those who had tickets for the remaining performances, please watch your email inbox for an email with a form discussing possible options for your tickets. ". He worries about their future together, but Portia reassures him by saying that everyone, even Nick and Brother Jeremiah, will change their minds about their relationship when they hear Nigel's beautiful sonnets ("We See the Light"). It is hinted at throughout the show that much of Will's work is not always done by him, and in the song Hard to Be the Bard, Shakespeare sets out to become a part of Nick's troupe to see what he's doing and put a stop to any success the show might end up having. It's so chock-full of witty references and energetic dance; it's hard to see how it could be topped. "Something Rotten!" - Ensemble "Make an Omelette" - Nick, Company "To Thine Own Self (Reprise)" - Nick "Finale" - Company Which of these audition songs for Something Rotten did you choose? He is based in Florida. They/them. Nigel and Portia go to the after party, where Portia gets drunk. And have ROBIN say that line, God I Hate Shakespeare,mm. Shylock has become their new investor, though they cannot find a title that would make his role legal. When a soothsayer mistakes Hamlet for Omelette the Musical, chaos ensues, resulting in a very funny conclusion. Towards the end of the number, Shakespeare reveals himself and sues the brothers. Portia and Nigel set out to convince Jeremiah and the other puritans that they should be together rather than following the "star-crossed lovers" idea. In a rage, Nick goes back to Nostradamus with what he has left of the money he stole from the Money Box. Will Jeremiah be convinced or will their actions be in vain? But amidst the scandalous excitement of opening night, the Bottom Brothers realize that reaching the top means being true to thine own self, and all that jazz. For example, during the song A Musical, "Nostradamus and the chorus men don sailor hats, which harkens to several nautical-themed musicals, including South Pacific, Anything Goes, On the Town and Dames at Sea. Will Portia be able to convince her father that she should be with Nigel or will her efforts be in vain? Shylock expresses a desire to help fund the troupe, but Nick rejects him as it is illegal to employ a Jew. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Bea is a very thoughtful person when it comes to her husband and his brother. Melissa Felps (Portia), Jeffrey Izquierdo-Malon (Nostradamus), Jason Blackburn (Brother Jeremiah), Robert Doyle (Shylock/Lord Claphon), Chris Moore (Minstrel), and Mara Bollini, Kent Coiffel, Brittany Hester, Ian McCreary, Maggie Nold . Welcome to the Renaissance and the outrageous, crowd pleasing musical farce, Something Rotten! Set in 1595, the story follows the Bottom brothers, Nick and Nigel, who struggle to find success in the theatrical world as they compete with the wild popularity of their contemporary William Shakespeare. Not Honey Nut Scooters. Tickets: From $15 to $39. He is surprised to learn that his hit is about eggs. Lord Clapham/Judge . Long Beach, CA, The Mousetrap However, when a Broadway theatre became available, Kevin McCollum decided to open the show without the Seattle tryout. , PURITANS WHOO! I found it offputting. Portia sneaks out to see him, and they discover more about their similarities, especially in the way they both love poetry ("I Love the Way"). As Nigel sleeps, Nick faces the real reason he hates Shakespeare: "The Bard" makes Nick feel self-conscious ("God, I Hate Shakespeare (Reprise)"). NOSTRADAMUS - pg 24 ("Did I hear a need - pg 27, A Musical, mm. Later on in the show, you discover that she's the daughter of Jeremiah, but she's nothing like him. Nigel and Portia go to the after party, where Portia gets drunk. Join StageAgent today and unlock amazing theatre resources and opportunities. Citrino most recently appeared locally in last spring's acclaimed "Once," a musical in which all the actors played instruments, at Theatre 166. Two brothers set out to write the world's first musical in this hilarious mash-up of sixteenth-century Shakespeare and twenty . The show is so silly it's really hard to take anything seriously or be offended by its content.