You might find one of the other competitors to have more features, but you WONT find one that has better accuracy and consistency. All you have to do is plug it in, sit back and get ready to enjoy the final product without having to worry about charcoal or propane. Right now, for example, Amazon has discounts on select smokers such as 23 percent off the highly-rated Realcook Vertical 17-inch steel charcoal smoker. A: From the grill covers I have tested, this is one of the strong ones. Oakwood, cherry wood and mesquite wood achieve three different flavors, flavors that you won't find when using a charcoal grill. But being able to cook low and slow over a flavored heat source isnt the only difference between a gas grill, charcoal grill and smoker, according to Jim Mumford of Jim Cooks Food Good and Brand Ambassador for Johnsonville. After some research I chose the DLX over more expensive models that are essentially the same but have wifi. Although the Big Green Egg is at a higher price point than other at-home smokers, these ceramic cookers are almost a must for any backyard kitchen, explained Jonathan Fox of Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q. Camp Chef Woodwind 24 WiFi Check latest price at Camp Chef Check Latest price at BBQ Guys Unboxing and setup In this hands-on review, well go through, So youve just unpacked your brand new electric smoker. I have BBQed many racks of ribs, this grill cooked them perfectly. I could not see a single blemish anywhere. The grill was recommended by a friend and it definitely did not disappoint. I found the temp probe design simple but effective. Yes. I used the meat probes several times and found their temperature accuracy to be on par with my other thermometers. Among the fascinating new features, we revealed Smoke Control. Theyre fine in terms of getting the job done quickly but forget having a smoky flavor. Booster Reminders. . With four vents and a capsule shape, this charcoal smoker can easily convert from slow and low heat into a fiery grill. With a simple pull of a knob the ashes drop from the burn cup into a removable cup on the underside of your pellet grill. So, dont worry if you dont see enough smoke. These grates left me split down the middle. I've mostly done short smokes on it, but I have also done a 16hr boston butt cook that turned out amazing. Were a passionate team of outdoor-lovers, makers, and culinary experts committed to bringing five-star flavor to the great outdoors with versatile gear that can stand up to the demands of both the backcountry and back patio foodies. I routinely run my woodwind at smoke level 10, at temps around 180 with no issues. Giantex vertical smoker features a detachable 2-layer structure. 5 Main Causes and 6 Easy Solutions! Share you tips, ask questions, or show off you cooking skills! The grill controller also has a feed function that I found to be very useful. A louvered drip tray allows flames to reach the bottom grill racks giving you a wider grill temperature range from 160F to 650F. I just could not have been happier with what I found when I opened the box. Logan Savoy are you sure? You then just take the can off and dump the ashes. Is Your Camp Chef Running Out Of Pellets While Cooking? This thing has done everything I've expected of it perfectly. Like I mentioned in the intro, Camp Chef does offer an add-on front shelf for the Woodwind for additional prep area. I have used a Kamado style grill for 15 years. I would not buy this smoker again despite some nice features because of the very unreliable temperature control. There could be many reasons why your pellet grill is not producing enough smoke or smoke at all. Since smokers can provide heavy smoke flavor in a low heat environment, they offer something that grills just cant emulate. -Todd Bulloch, 2023 CAMPCHEF.COM / ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please try again later. Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question. Quick pressure release. As always, feel free to ask questions in the comment form below if theres something that you want to know about this grill. The use of this website means that you accept the confidentiality regulations and the conditions of service. As an example, the Woodwind smoke setting control does not even work at temperatures above 350 degrees. This sleek replacement control board is perfectly compatible with Camp Chef SG 24/30, SGX, DLX, XT, Pursuit 20 (NOT XXL Vertical Smoker) models. To help guide you to the best smoker for your home cooking, we consulted experts on how to buy them and which are the best ones out now. There must be a natural pull of heat toward the right side of the grill, even when smoking low and slow. I have owned this smoker since fall 2017, just over 2 years. But now that I know the proper order, monitoring (or changing) the temp and the 4 probes remotely is excellent. Ill make that trade every time, but I did want to point that out. The slider rods and locking plates for the pellet chute, ash cleanout, and direct flame grilling are well designed. SMF is reader-supported. Director of Baseball Operations/Assistant Camp Director. Those who love the unique flavor profiles in Southern food should really consider purchasing a smoker. My second cook was a prime brisket point smoked central Texas style: post oak pellets, salt and pepper, fat side up, low and slow, wrapped in butcher paper just before the bark was finished, cooked to an internal temp of 202, then rested for one hour. It depends on your choice, whichever you want to use, as both work great to give you excellent flavor. You asked and we deliveredthe new Woodwind line is Camp Chefs most feature-packed grill, making it the smartest and most versatile grill on the market. 2. However, this seems to be a problem that many pellet grill manufacturers tend to struggle with when it comes to their Apps. The 16,000 BTU burner range is 480 F Low to 900 F High - fantastic for reverse seared steaks. Assembly was a little confusing but not too terribly bad took about 45 minutes. The ash cleanout feature is innovative making it the easiest to clean pellet grill I have tested to date. After a few months of selling out of inventory, we've heard the chatter--does Smoke Control really work? WIFI controller users would be able to adjust their Smoke Number (either manually on their pellet grill controller or through the Camp Chef Connect app.) Check out our full guide to pellet grills for a comprehensive list, and here are a few of the main Woodwind alternatives worth considering. The Wi-Fi allows me to know the temperature and let's me know when to flip or take the meat off through the Camp Chef App, she said. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault Ribs 17,022 views Sep 2, 2019 214 Dislike Share Save Description Random Reviews & How-To's 6.16K subscribers Subscribe In this video I'm using the 3, 2, 1 cooking. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we dont use a simple average. With the option to add a sidekick grill or griddle youll have a super versatile grill. Please try again later. Giantex vertical smoker combines 3-in-1 use of fire pit, BBQ grill and smoker, which is suitable for BBQ, grill, smoke, roast and braise. Max Hardy, Owner and Head Chef, Coop Detroit. If you like this grill, but cant live without WiFi, I recommend you take a look at Camp Chefs top tier grill, the Woodwind series. And they are, but in a good way. If your camp chef is not smoking enough, dont worry. There was a problem completing your request. EDIT: If it works for you, would you mind saying what pellets you use? This does have a lot to do with the density of the wood. This one's for all the nerds out there who are dying to hear exactly how Smoke Control works. And with Covid-19 cases increasing this winter, you can smoke your meats and fish from the safety and comfort of your backyard. I am happy to say that these are STILL among my favorite pellets to use. Our Smart Smoke Technology also offers the precision you need for baking, grilling, braising, and every other cooking job. It seriously makes things taste much better even if you aren't going for a wild smoke flavor. The biggest selling point is the ash clean-out. I was a bit disappointed in the max grill temp of the grill. OK, yes the manual could be better. I did discover that it is almost necessary to fire up the app on the phone Before turning on the grill otherwise it just wont connect. In this review, Ill be sharing my experiences cooking on the Woodwind over the last few months. Either way, make sure you have cardboard underneath the grill body so you dont scratch it when you bring it upright. Feed your outside however you want with the durability, versatility, portability, and power of Camp Chef. This is the right choice for anyone that likes smokey flavors and cooking slow at home. Camp Chef 5. Youll be glad you did. When the slider rod is pulled, it moves the plate and drops burnt pot ash into the cleanout cup. The Woodwind does provide a little bit of prep area in the form of a shelf, but that real estate is lost if you add the SideKick or sear box. A similar product, the Kamado Joe Classic I, can be shipped to your home, however. I didnt really come across any nuances with the grill. I use it as a grill and a smoker, and I'm satisfied with its performance at either task. I dont believe they were damaged during transport. https://pelletgrillsmoker.com/issues-problems-with-pellet-grill-smokers-troubleshooting-tips/, https://www.reddit.com/r/pelletgrills/comments/c31kof/what_is_the_smoke_setting_on_camp_chef_for/. By creating an account, you certify that you are at least 13 years of age, agree with the, i certify that i am at least 18 years of age, agree with the. I was extremely pleased with the smoking ability of the Woodwind. Outlets and voltage differ internationally and this product may require an adapter or converter for use in your destination. I'll start by saying I smoke and grill a lot and have cooked on many brands of smokers. The Camp Chef Woodwind is one of the most highly recommended pellet grills on the market today. I love the PID controller and how easy it is to get up and running. These fluctuations in temperature and ignition are what give us "tasty" smoke. So, you can really dial in the level of smoke you prefer. The high smoke setting in Camp chef increases swings, allowing the pellets to fume more which stimulates more smoke around the general setpoint. The Kamado Joe wont shut properly because it is getting old, perhaps, or you just happen to be misusing it. For these tests, I used Camp Chef premium hardwood pellets but I would assume similar performance with other pellets. Theyve since decided to launch their own brand and enter the fray. LaurenLevyis a contributor with work published on The Knot, PopSugar, CafeMom, Mom.com, Bridal Guide and Care.com. Ditching the pellet smoker for a stick burner, Camp Chef Apex 24/36 (combo pellet & propane grill), The new Camp Chef Woodwind Pro looks promising. Gas grills simply dont bring out the robust flavors compared to smoking or charcoal grills, Chavez noted. It also brings new and old styles of grills and grilling methods all Kamado Joe Wont Latch? It is worth the extra! Thanks, good to know it should be possible. We absolutely love this machine!" The slider rod on the pellet chute opens a slot located in the bottom of the hopper. No scratches, dents, chips, scrapes, NOTHING! Packed with our most popular recipes includingbrisket, pulled pork, ribsand more! I'm not new to grilling, nor am I the grill master. Assembly was a little confusing but not too terribly bad took about 45 minutes. Camp Chef high smoke levels at really low temps I posted the recent comparison cook and quite a few people have asked why I only used Smoke Level 2 on my Camp Chef SG24 when cooking at 180 and the reason is that the fire will go out with really high smoke levels at really low temps. There were two parts that showed small nicks in the paint, but they were quite minimal. When grilling, the meat comes out nice and tender. I ended up getting rid of this, through no fault of it's own. In my testing I found that increasing the smoke level did somewhat increase the temperature. Make sure you are using right smoke setting on your Camp Chef. You can add on the Sidekick or Sear Box, and the App and clean up experience is the same as well. The higher the Smoke Number, the more smoke and flavor would be added to your dish. Or is it? It allows you to tailor how much smoke gets incorporated into your meal. Cast Iron Cooking Grid Grates for Camp Chef SmokePro DLX 24 Pellet Grill, for Camp Chef PG24MZG SmokePro/SG24/ SE24 /24 WiFi Woodwind Pellet Grill, Grates for Camp Chef 24" Pellet Grill, Grates for Camp Chef 24" Pellet Grill,Camp Chef SmokePro DLX 24 Pellet Grill, for Camp Chef PG24MZG SmokePro/SG24/ SE24 /24 Woodwind Pellet Grill, Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon. The Low Smoke setting allows the temp to swing from 140 to 180, so wide swings and low temp produce decent smoke. If the temperature accuracy and variance concern you greatly, I would look toward a different option. I was looking for a outdoor cooking solution that would give me the ability to cook like the pros without the super sized trailer. Fully equipped with our innovative PID and WIFI enabled controller, youll be able to stay connected to your grill using the Camp Chef app. in Cooking Area, 8-IN-1 Grill for Outdoor BBQ, 700D2E, Solo Stove Modern Grill Ultimate Bundle Heavy Duty Portable Charcoal Grill for Outdoors great BBQ Smoker Grill Includes Grilling Accessories and Cooking for Camping, LIZZQ Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12 inches - 5 Hours of Billowing Smoke - for Any Grill or Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking - Stainless Steel 304 - Silicone Oven Mitt - Silicone Basting Brush - Free eBook Grilling Ideas and Recipes, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, Camp Chef 24 in. Hope this helps. Im happy with these results, although you should expect worse efficiency with the larger Woodwind or if cooking in cold weather. After weeks of, Traeger is by far the biggest name in pellet grills. I had mine go out too - super hot day, low temp and high smoke. You can set up the outdoor smoker easily in your patio, outdoor camping site, fishing events to enjoy smokey food. I was pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of the grill box when used with the Sidekick.