Stave 4 - the final ghost Charles Dickens only really scratched the surface of this. Draw an arrow from each underlined word to the word it modifies. Imagery of warmth has symbolism of generosity, compassion and forgiveness- Fred always makes a effort with scrooge. The idea that they shake hands with each person 'individually' shows the humanity with which they treat everyone - they do not see the poor as 'creatures' Ideas about purgatory and hell would have been recognisable to the mainly Christian readership at the time - and would have made the allegory more frightening. Themes= greed and generosity/ time. Stave 2 - the Fezziwig's party Glorious! He did it all and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did NOT die, he was a second father., He knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the Knowledge.. Stave 2 - Scrooge becomes distressed by what he is seeing. Hes comparing Cratchits actual body temperature to Scrooges personality. He is cheerful and oily where scrooge is cold and sharp. Hallo!" Click the card to flip Definition 1 / 5 The repetition of the word 'little' reinforces to the reader how young and innocent and undeserving of death was Tiny Tim. The verbs suggest age, disfiguration and pain suggesting how unnatural their conditions are that have led to this. Invite Scrooge to come for Christmas dinner 4. Stave 3 - description of Mrs Cratchit However, some of the scenes are to help develop Scrooges character and add backstory. Dickens believed in collective responsibility - that the wealthy should take responsibility for helping the poor, specifically through the provision of education and support for children. 5. The description of the children is designed to shock the reader. The use of the word 'alone' is repeated showing again that selfishness will lead to a life of loneliness. Inclusive now of society - not isolated and solitary. Bovey, Lee-James "A Christmas Carol Quotes " Book Analysis, https://bookanalysis.com/charles-dickens/a-christmas-carol/quotes/. A description of the ghost of Christmas past, who symbolises memory and who shows scrooge events from the past. Does this line support or contradict the speaker's statement in the final stanza, "Nothing really happened"? The two children Ignorance and Want represents the attitudes of the rich to the poor in Victorian society. These cover themes like wealth, poverty, Christmas, and kindness. cried the gentleman, as if his breath were taken away. Instant PDF downloads. Fred is unrelenting in his attempts to change his uncles way of thinking. I am as giddy as a drunken man., Scrooge was better than his word. They now drag him down in death, and hes forced to wander the earth, unable to undo what he did before. Stave 3 - Christmas at Fred's Themes= family/poverty/greed and generosity. Stave 5 - Scrooge's reaction to discovering it is not too late Stave 3 - the ghost uses Scrooge's words against him Stave 4 - Tiny Tim's burial place is eden like - as, despite his poverty and place in life, he was good and will be welcomed by god. The workers will be repairing the building. However, this in itself would probably not have been enough to alter his ways. Did the Anglo-Saxon period last between 449 and 1066? Thus Dickens is ending with the message that we can all change our selfish ways and be a positive influence. Then there are some of the settings contained in A Christmas Carol. With in-depth analysis, this video aims to help you gain a greater understanding of the novella in a matter of minutes. Part of the reason that A Christmas Carol is so widely studied is the abundance of different themes that it touches upon. Bob describes his crippled son. Describes Fred, who is a symbol of Christmas spirit. The Cratchits are generous and loving in very difficult circumstances. Dickens is very clever in his use of dialogue in this section of the story as the Ghost of Future Yet To Come shows Scrooge the people that are talking about his death. He doesn't believe it, but when he goes to the window, the street is deserted and dark as nighttime. Along with the words, 'sole' and 'solitary' used throughout the novel to suggest that each individual must take responsibility for his own choices - just as Marley is paying for his individual sins. What I think is really clever is that the story is framed so that when we see the ghost of Christmas past, seeing the things that shaped Scrooge into the man he is at the beginning of the play starts to let us feel sympathy for him so that when he is offered a second chance as a reader, we are glad he gets to redeem himself. Oh, no, no! The finger was still there. The adjective solitary and neglected highlight his feelings of loneliness and isolation, creating sympathy for him. External heat and cold had little influence on Scrooge. ', 'He was all in a glow; his face was ruddy and handsome; his eyes sparkled, and his breath smoked', Christmas is a time when people 'Think of the people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. Stave 3 - the Cratchits Exhausted- "i cannot rest,i cannot stay, i cannot linger anywhere.". This compounds our sympathy for the Cratchit's as Tim was a symbol of innocence. Stave 5 - Scrooge walks the streets enjoying the company of others. 'It was a strange figurelike a child: yet not so like a child as like an old man'. The happiness he gives is quite as great as if it costs a fortune. The Ghost of Christmas Present greets Scrooge from on top of a pile of luxurious Christmas fare. The 10 Most Important Quotes in A Christmas Carol - https://youtu.be/8wpegV4ueYY'The Ghosts' in A Christmas Carol - https://youtu.be/15HiKFCMEyk'Scrooge' in A Christmas Carol - https://youtu.be/c2x9wiRRFQYQuick, relaxed, and informative, Dr Aidan's Guide to Literature aims to make literature accessible to everyone. Tiny Tim's comment is generous in spirit, seeing his disability positively as it will remind others of the true meaning of Christmas by allowing them to think of Jesus on Christmas day. In defending Fezziwig, he is taught a lesson and makes him think about how he treats his clerk, leading to his second moment of regret in which he'd like to 'say a word to two' to Bob. Dickens though that this was wrong and aimed to change perception, 'Mankind was my business. Studying Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol'? This means that Scrooge is implying Christmas was designed to trick and fool people into spending money. Privacy Policy, https://bookanalysis.com/charles-dickens/a-christmas-carol/themes-and-analysis/. uses long and short clauses to show how busy they are. In what ways did Louis XV differ from Louis XIV? sungiemarie. The list of verbs, gives the spirit a threatening air- this is compounded by the fact that he does not speak to scrooge at all. "the phantom slowly, gravely, silently approached", A description of the ghost of Christmas future; he is the darkest of the spirits, a reminder to scrooge of his terrible fate if he fails to learn his lesson. For characters like Fred and Bob Cratchit, Christmas represents the Christian ideal of goodness and moral prosperity, but Scrooge is at his most miserly when Christmas is mentioned. No fog, no mist; clear, bright, jovial, stirring, cold; cold, piping for the blood to dance to; Golden sunlight; Heavenly sky; sweet fresh air; merry bells. These cover themes like wealth, poverty, Christmas, and kindness. His selfish ways have left him this way. This almost prompts a realization in Scrooge as he catches on to the fact that his wealth provides him (and indeed Fezziwig) with the power to make people happy. He begins with no compassion for others but eventually learns a better way to live. Marleys ghost is the one that kicks everything off but also acts as a mirror to Scrooge to show him the error of his ways. Stave 1 - description of Scrooge's house The use of nature with a type of plant typically seen around christmas time makes scrooges comment even more menacing saying that they should kill him with the very thing that is giving him happiness in that certain period.- Scrooge If they would rather die, they had better do it and decrease the surplus population. This mirrors the Victorian rich's attitude to the poor. They are mans. And I know I know my dears, that when we recollect how patient and how mild he was; although he was a little, little child, we shall not quarrel easily among ourselves and forget poor Tiny Tim in doing it. Spirit! he cried, tight clutching at his robe, hear me! Marley haunts scrooge- a description of his chains. Themes= greed and generosity/ time. forgiving- "to Mr Scrooge, the founder of the feast.". Stave 1 - Scrooge's response to the gentlemen saying that people would rather die than go to the workhouse. The spirit of Christmas is personified in his open heart, open hand, and outstretched arm. Fire symbolizes emotion and warmth. A squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous, old sinner! Oh, glorious, glorious! Summary. "Its genial face, its sparking eye, its open hand. Dickens creates sympathy for the poor, through the Crachit's and their tight knit family. Scrooge is particularly affected by the death, and this is a death he is able to reverse in the future when he amends his behaviour. Fan is portrayed with affection - and her term of endearment shows that Scrooge has known affection. Stave 3 - Scrooge asks if Tiny Tim will live, having been moved by his goodness. The noun phantom has negatives connotations in contrast to the more positive spirits - once again, warning scrooge of his fate if he doesn't change his ways. A Christmas Carol - Quotes and Analysis Stave 1 Stave 2 Stave 3 Stave 4 Stave 5 ( ) The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker and the chief mourner. The synonyms 'alone' and 'by himself' emphasise again the loneliness of the life he has chosen. * The use of pathetic fallacy shows that he is in direct opposition to anyone who tries to help him. He greets Scrooge with a drink that makes him feel good: the milk of human kindness though one could be forgiven for seeing an alcoholic connection and then takes him on a tour of Christmases around the country. Perfect for those studying the book at school (particularly GCSE students) or simply those wanting to learn more about it.For more in Dr Aidan's 'A Christmas Carol' series:The 10 Most Important Quotes in A Christmas Carol - https://youtu.be/8wpegV4ueYYPicture credits: Grim Reaper: openclipart.comCornucopia: openclipart.com Here in this quote, one can see Dickens playing with literal and figurative meanings to great effect. The image of the 'lonely boy near a feeble fire' reflects very closely the older Scrooge we have seen, alone eating gruel. She looked at me as if I had insulted her. Lord bless me!" The childhood innocence has been 'shrivelled' and 'twisted' showing the ill effects of their treatment. That being said the fact that Marley is suffering damnation suggests that he too led a similar path to Scrooge. So, therefore, we should take responsibility for being a positive influence. Tiny Tim is frequently referred to in Christian terms - as though his true goodness is close to God. However, some of the scenes are to help develop Scrooge's character and add backstory. Leading up to this moment it appears as if Scrooge already fears that this is the case, but that does not detract from the tension that Charles Dickens can create here. This shows scrooges selfishness and his addiction to money with belle feeling replace with money she feels like she doesnt matter to him and that all he cares about is money. As a result of this he was damned to walk as a ghost chained with money boxes surrounding him. They were a boy and girl. If he had been, he'd have had somebody to look after him when he was struck with Death, instead of lying gasping out his last there, alone by himself.'. Setting can help create an atmosphere or mood in a literary work. () The introduction of the portly gentlemen provide an opposition to Scrooge. "[He called out in a] comfortable,oily, rich. A happy New Year to all the world! Scrooge's assertion that 'it is not my business' is challenged quickly by Marley's ghost whose view is that 'mankind' should have been his 'business. Given an unexpected opportunity to communicateperhaps as a Christmas miracleMarley feels determined to help Scrooge and he warns him here. All rights reserved. "Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only?". Coggle requires JavaScript to display documents. The adjective 'common' shows the reader that the poor only want those things which should be normal and available for all - the 'common' things rather than luxuries. The noun unanimity suggests that he is happy to be involved. Foul weather didnt know where to have him. At this point, Scrooges character has become fairly well established but the reason that this particular meeting is of such importance is that it highlights Scrooges outlook towards the poor as well as provides his comments about how the poor should be treated. This girl is Want. The simile shows Bobs wealth in his family; he values them more than money and so is content with their love. A Christmas Carol (Key Quotes) 'Mankind is my business' - Marley (Should be Scrooges and everyone elses too) 'I will honour Christmas in my heart and, and try to keepit all the year' - Scrooge (Willing to change, become better person) . Oh! Themes= Christmas/greed and generosity/family. " Stave 1 - Scrooge's view of the plight of the poor A description of the school house that Scrooge was left in as a child, by his family. If they would rather die, they had better do it and decrease the surplus population. They are likely to be of even higher class than Scrooge but are choosing to do good for the poor. Their terrible behaviour is a consequence of the ignorance and want that Dickens personified in stave 3. He always did!". The words of the charwoman, who disgusts Scrooge, in the rag 'n' bone man's shop reflect the views to which Scrooge subscribed at the start of the novella when he declared that the poor were not his 'business' implying that his only business was himself. It is too much linked to his miserly ways thus suggesting that the learning is not finished yet. The idea that anybody would be so callous about the dead is quite jarring and would have been especially impactful with a conservative Victorian readership. A description of Fezziwig, a rich merchant t whom Scrooge is apprentice. But, they were happy, grateful, pleased with one another and contented with the time. Scrooge can see the error of his ways and then acts accordingly to become a better person. The verb forged shows skill and effort- Marley spent his whole life's time and effort in his greed so is suffering the consequences. There is a very real suggestion that Scrooge knows that the people are describing him. Here are some of the best 'A Christmas Carol' Scrooge quotes for this holiday season that will melt your heart. Partially because of the nature of its main character. One interesting feature of this stave relates to the fact that two people die in it: Scrooge and Tiny Tim: the richest and the poorest people in the book. Oh! A frosty rime was on his head, and on his eyebrows, and his wiry chin. This is the image of rich men who are shown to ridicule Scrooge after his death.The rich are presented as unfeeling and callous- their physical ugliness reflects the lack of generosity in their spirits. To Kill a Mockingbird -Analysis of Major Characters. 'He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did NOT die, he was a second father. They often came down handsomely, and Scrooge never did. The relative clause describing Tiny Tim reinforces the idea that it is Scrooge's actions that caused him to live. Imagery of warmth has symbolism of generosity, compassion and forgiveness- Fred always makes a effort with scrooge. - Scrooge, Is scrooges staple opinion to christmas at the start of stave one, showing off his negative opinions to begin with, this is used to emphasise the change in scrooges character from the beginning to the end. Hallo there! The chains are a metaphor for his punishment for his greedy life. How does the speaker begin and end "Incident"? Shows Scrooge's inability to harness any other views that arent his. Dickens uses these characters to challenge popular preconceptions that the wealthy had about the poor - preconceptions which led to support for the poor law and the workhouses. The opening line says, ''Marley was dead: to begin with. The book also explores what you might call the true meaning of Christmas and while this might not be true from a Christian standpoint, from a morality/spiritual view, you could claim that it really does help to make that point. This shows scrooges lack of empathy for the poor people around christmas time not regarding their life or family, this is used to show a change later on in the book with him not donating to the 2 gentleman at the start but him donating to them at the end of the play- Scrooge to the two gentleman, Marley during his life was a harsh businessman similar to scrooge and he was also very uptight not giving money to charity or other good causes. Scrooge will avoid spirits for the rest of his life geddit? Describes Fred, who is a symbol of Christmas spirit. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. The adjective monstrous, creates a negative impression of the man, almost evil, and reinforces Dickens message that it was the ignorance of the rich that created many society's problems. - Scrooge, Ever idiot who goes around with merry xmas on his lips should be buried with a stake of holly through his heart, The use of nature with a type of plant typically seen around christmas time makes scrooges comment even more menacing saying that they should kill him with the very thing that is giving him happiness in that certain period.- Scrooge. Ignorance could represent the wealthy upper classes who are ignorant of what they must do to help. ', People with lots of money already are more likely to be greedy for more, not thinking about sharing that money with others effectively. Th onomatopoeia here makes the bells sound particularly noise -and yet Scrooge sees them as 'glorious' which is suggestive of noises from heaven. The boy is ignorance. Bitter- "no wind that blew was bitterer than he. Like an oyster, he keeps himself to himself, hidden beneath a hard shell that he uses to protect himself from the world. Whatever the book. A Christmas Carol is the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, a stingy, cruel, wealthy, old bachelor.The book opens with a funeral. Stave 2 - Belle's husband tells Belle about seeing Scrooge. Shows Bob's place of work, and shows scrooges harsh treatment on him. Accessed 4 March 2023. The verb sparkled has magical and positive connotations, shows Fred is the antithesis of scrooge. 1. The Christmas Spirit I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time the only time when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers. It is through your support of visiting Book Analysis that we can support charities, such as Teenage Cancer Trust. but stopped at the first syllable', Repeated phrase (Juxtaposition and patterning), Stave 5: 'Hear me! All rights reserved. No, Spirit! He is designed to show that the wealthy can make a significant difference. But as I know your purpose is to do me good, and as I hope to live to be another man from what I was, I am prepared to bear your company and do it with a thankful heart', Stave 1: 'He tried to say 'Humbug!' enthusiastic- "a merry Christmas uncle. () *The cold within him froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose, shrivelled his cheek, stiffened his gait; made his eyes red, his thin lips blue; and spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice. A solitary child, neglected by his friends is left there still - Scrooge sobbed, This shows scrooges lack of companionship and support even since a child this could show why scrooge became so money obsessed, I have always thought of Christmas a good time. This symbolises his generosity and air of festivity. The clerks sprinting home juxtaposes Scrooge's dinner in a melancholy tavern. Themes= greed and generosity/time. I think this is why the character of Fezziwig exists to show that Scrooge is not representative of all the upper classes. Here, we get the image of a country that is united during this time of year; a place where Christmas and Britishness are inextricably linked, which would have been incredibly popular for a Victorian audience who were in the throws of empire building. Dr Aidan, PhD, brings you the second video. The last line of A Christmas Carol is God bless us, everyone. Its spoken by the well-loved character Tiny Tim. I am sure we shall none of us forget poor Tiny Timshall weor this first parting that there was among us? a squeezing, wrenching . This reminds us of Freds line during the beginning of the book a phrase that Dickens later called The Carol Philosophy: It is only during Christmas that we open our shut up hearts and think of each other as being fellow passengers to the grave and not other beings on some other journey. During this section, Scrooge is reminded that we all die in the end, it is the only sure thing in life, and that all we have to work with is the short time that we have down here. ', 'secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster. I defy himif he finds me going there, in good temper, year after year, and saying, Uncle Scrooge, how are you? If it only puts him in the vein to leave his poor clerk fifty pounds, thats something. Themes= greed and generosity of the poor. In many ways, it is the child who can most tug on Scrooges heartstrings. With in-depth analysis, this video aims. This phrase is repeated to describe both Mrs Crarchit and her daughter. This brightly\underline{\text{brightly}}brightly lit room will be perfect for my art studio. The Fezziwigs throw a party and treat everyone the same - no matter their status. There is no magic formula to revision but this three-point patience and hope fro them. When it was made you were another man. Her gown is poor but she is 'brave in ribbons'. Whatever the book. Fred, as Scrooge's foil, is a kind, forgiving character who is determined to give Scrooge the same chance every year. () A famous geographer Thomas Malthus came up with the theory that the poor were just surplus population and thus should be left to their own devices - even if this meant letting them die. The adjective 'brave' suggests that the Cratchit's approach to life is noble and admirable - but not easy. Walled in by houses; overrun by grass and weeds. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. 'Long and wound about him like a tail made of cash-boxes, keys, padlocks, ledgers, deeds and heavy purses.'. Towards the end of the book, Scrooge has clearly learnt that fact and decides to spend his remaining days sharing his time, his wealth, and enjoying the fruits of his fellow men. Stave 3 - ignorance and want Stave 2 - Belle breaks off the engagement ', Where the portly gentlemen explain to Scrooge about the plight of the poor and the responsibility of the rich to deal with it, In Stave 5, Scrooge begins to redeem himself for all the terrible things he did in the past, Victorian society was still extremely religious at this point and they believed strongly in the impact of sin upon the treatment of one in the afterlife, The way that Scrooge worships money would have been considered as sinful at the time as it is in a way idolising something that is not the holy lord, Stave 5: 'that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge', Stave 1: 'A squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping clutching, covetous old sinner! However, inside that shell - like Scrooge - the oyster is soft and vulnerable. Themes= greed and generosity/Christmas/poverty. Fezziwigs character is an understated part of the story of A Christmas Carol. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. This went against what Victorians considered to be a 'good death' where you die surrounded by friends and family and then are mourned afterwards. No warmth could warm, no wintry weather chill him. I will not be the man I must have been but for this intercourse! He spreads joy over all like a force of nature. Dr Aidan, PhD, provides you with the 10 key quotes in Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol', along with in-depth analysis, to he. The ghost of Christmas yet to come is a symbol of the effect that memories have on someone as they age. as if its hold were of uncommon strength." Jacob Marleys demise is possibly part of what shaped Scrooge into the person that he is. We have never had any quarrel, to which I have been a party. Scrooge's sympathy for himself leads to sympathy for the carol singer from the night before. Stave 4 - in the rag 'n' bone man's shop Themes= time/Christmas, "A solitary child, neglected by his friends.". The father of a long, long line of brilliant laughs. So while he did not invent these particular traditions many people credit him with popularizing them. His most famous saying is bah humbug. He used it as an exclamation when he wanted to express his displeasure about something. Scrooge's language has been formal and official: here he is informal, natural and joyous. The Spirit pointed from the grave to him, and back again. Money 5. This is a great description, wanders around holding a candle snuffer that looks like a hat. 2003-2023 Chegg Inc. All rights reserved. Without the ghost of Christmas future, Scrooge wouldve been unlikely to change. Scrooge has undergone a metamorphoses - he has literally been reborn as a new man. 2. In the first stave of A Christmas Carol, the following quote is really important in characterizing Scrooge:. Key quotes from a Christmas Carol- Stave 2, A Christmas Carol Vocabulary, A Christmas Car, myPerspectives, English Language Arts, Grade 8, myPerspectives: English Language Arts, California (Grade 9, Volume 1), myPerspectives: English Language Arts, Grade 7, myPerspectives: Grade 10, Volume 2 California Edition, A Christmas Carol - quotation analysis-Stave. Fezziwg really represents what Scrooge has and what he could (and eventually does) become. in Its progressive form. A Christmas Carol is rarely classified as a gothic novel. Themes= poverty/family/greed and generosity. Representing Victorian society. This is another quote where Dickens draws on the semantic field of the cold weather. scientist; is. This is where the clerk lives. The adjectives: genial show his joy/ cheer, sparkling presents tense- has connotations of light and magic and open emphasises his generosity.Themes= greed and generosity/Christmas. Scrooges words to the charity collectors as he refuses to give charity. () The famous phrase Humbug really means either shame or hoax. Themes= Christmas/greed and generosity/family. 'Scrooge was his sole executor, his sole assign, his sole residuary legatee, his sole friend and sole mourner'. Of course, the suggestion that people might be talking about him is beastly to Scrooge. But I have made the trial in homage to Christmas, and. The noun 'idol' shows that Belle believes Scrooge is so enamoured of money that he worships it. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy., Scrooge says to the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come: I am prepared to bear you company, and do it with a thankful heart., Two Business Colleagues: Its likely to be a very cheap funeral, said the same speaker; for upon my life I dont know of anybody to go to it., Scrooge to the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come: I see, I see. Perhaps Dickens is using him to represent the idea of childhood innocence and how close children were to God in order to reinforce his message that the wealthy need to do more to mitigate childhood poverty. Click the card to flip Flashcards Learn Test Match Created by AIC-CREATOR-TD Terms in this set (36) For example, the first ghost is a metaphor for how memories and the past shape ones experience, while the last ghost is a metaphor for death and ones legacy. "If these shadows remain unaltered by the Future, the child will die.". I am not the man I was', When Scrooge sees the name on the gravestone, he realises that time for change is limited, The ghost of Christmas past shows Scrooge some memories that may have been lost to time, Stave 2: 'each one connected with a thousand thoughts, and hopes, and joys, and cares long forgotten', Stave 4: 'Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only? "I wish you could have gone. Whatever the genre. Past: "The curtains of his bed were drawn aside, I tell you, When the Ghost of Christmas Past arrives, the curtains of his bed were drawn aside by a hand. Here, it is clear that it is the ghost who makes the move the ghost actively. The hellish atmosphere is emphasised by the fact that the ghost's clothing and hair appears to move as though in an updraft of heat, suggesting that the ghost is in hell. Example: The scientist, along with her two assistants, (is, are) working on a computer simulation of earthquake activity. The declarative 'will' conveys certainty showing how urgent it is that Scrooge change. Use if fairy tale convention, shows the story will have a magical ending. In this way, like a patient completing therapy, he has faced his past, but can now move on. But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge! Himself. Theme= poverty/greed and generosity. Gone are the puritanical values that banned Christmas, and, also, to a large degree, gone as well are the memories of Christmas as a serious and religious celebration of the birth of Christ. "The noisy little Cratchit's were as still as status". Here, readers are exposed to the ghost of Christmas yet to come. The ghost breaks the news to Scrooge that the person whose death has been talked about so callously was his own.