Though, again, thinking about the competencies of the staff that you're going to hire maybe to oversee curriculum fidelity processes or maybe to support staff to build their skills. And that one seems pretty important, right? Diversity training. Train on how to form relationship with families. So, if you're using the creative curriculum and there's a certain amount of autonomous exploration of interest areas, you want to make sure that teachers are making time for that, particularly in shorter days, where scheduling might get in the way. HSKo@Wq`{w)DbHUmUfNvgg{%lO* i|rC^?S^OSpyy^sQ6lNt_C. Curriculum Materials to Support Implementation: The curriculum provides some materials to support implementation. Make teaching the Creative Curriculum Clothes Study fun with these engaging, hands-on magnetic tiles shape templates. The publisher also offers in-person courses designed for administrators and coaches on how to help teachers implement the curriculum with fidelity. Coaching to Fidelity includes The Fidelity ToolTeacher Checklist, which helps teachers reflect on their practice, and The Fidelity Tool for Administrators, which helps administrators determine how well teachers are implementing The Creative Curriculum for Preschool in their classrooms. The curriculum also provides a video series that can be used as a tool for coaching or professional development to support staff in their ongoing implementation of the curriculum. No, one copy is required for the program and needs to be We have two additional Ed Manager webinar series coming up, one in January, on the 24th, and one in March, on the 28th, at the same time. But since we're talking about curriculum today, Joe and I thought it might be interesting to have you all start with just entering a word or two in the chat box about what you think of when you hear the term "curriculum. What's a curriculum to you, with your program? We'll talk about professional development support and the ongoing assessment of child learning, okay? 0000041633 00000 n Is the teacher lacking materials? their self-esteem and confidence. When a coach, principal, or fellow teacher observes instruction, he or she should not provide critical feedback. This house framework for effective, everyday practice is really familiar to all of you, I'm sure, right? And so in programs where you're seeing a high degree of implementation fidelity or processes to support that, you're going to see staff focus on the specific goals identified in the lesson plan. So just as a reminder, we have two more webinars in this series. Joe: Yeah, so there's there's been a couple of questions on curricular enhancements, and I think the question that best gets to what we're trying to get to is what should programs think about if they are considering a curriculum enhancement? Just a few logistic things. 0000026080 00000 n The curriculum comes with a Trainer's Guide that provides instructions on how to facilitate an eight-hour "Comprehensive Introduction to Innovations: The Comprehensive Infant and Toddler Curriculum" session, as well as 29 modules that can be used with pre- or in-service teachers as either workshops or staff meetings. And, really, if you look across disciplines even, but certainly in the early childhood and k-12 world, those teacher variables that are most related to implementation fidelity include the teacher and the intervention alignment, teacher beliefs so, their efficacy previous practices, and congruence between teacher and intervention priorities, right? And certainly you want to ensure that there is some observation going on so that teachers are not, as I said, just following a specific script or not adjusting for individual children's needs or knowledge or skills, those types of things. And that information is really helpful to program leadership, such as education managers, such as yourself, As you think about what supports are needed to sustain curriculum implementation. Definitely, it seems obvious, but making sure you're using the most recent version of the curriculum is always important because as research progresses, curricula change. But has it been, you know, a month and a half and staff have been able to plan together? 0000010353 00000 n So, if teachers believe that this curriculum is effective, that there's a need for it, that the curriculum will be effective and that they themselves have the ability to carry it out and that, in doing so, that's going to benefit children. by. The two Lesson Plans for a Strong Start books give teachers six weeks of lesson plans for infants and toddlers as well as information on how to continue to make intentional plans for children. $7.00. Online courses represent another option for ongoing professional development. 111 49 And when we think about fidelity of implementation here, we're talking about two aspects, really global fidelity and individual lesson or activity fidelity. Probably lots of you are familiar with that approach. Asking parents to share about their culture is a great one. It is intended to be used in conjunction with four other tools: Effective Coaching of Teachers: Fidelity Tool Rubric and Fidelity Tool Worksheet. Hi, everyone. Again, seems obvious, but but a really important one. You're not going to go out with your umbrellas. That's a great one. Led all-day, in-person classes in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and other software applications. Is "The Fidelity Tool" from Teaching Strategies accepted as a curriculum? are also connected to other standards, right, the standards that say that we want to use research-based professional development. Is that training, an asynchronous, sort of 20- minute video that folks watch online and then they're given the curriculum manual and off they go into their classroom? - Developed curriculum, mentored and tutored students, created assessments and evaluation - Managed small teaching teams, and coordinated weekly responsibilities of a team of learning assistants Introduction to Probably the most important tool for you to look for is anything that came with your published curriculum. So, curriculum is all of these things, and it also includes all of the things that you're all entering in the chat box. 0000006537 00000 n Publisher (s): Teaching Strategies, Inc. In addition to the observations, during interviews, the teachers stated that the "Sesame Street" cartoon-character posters in the classrooms represented the diversity and ethnicity of the children. gold coaching to fidelity fidelity tool teacher checklist 5 volumes fidelity tool for administrators 5 volumes, 1 login to the creative curriculum web site www creativecurriculum net with your username and password provided to you by teaching strategies via e mail your administrator must create your username for you 2 to confirm Assisted with exhibition design, curation, and planning. July 2018. that are really important. One is the session presentation, where you can, you know, print that off and take notes, and you'll have the slides to keep after the webinar. How do you work with teachers who are not implementing the curriculum in the way it was intended? Okay, great. Coaching to Fidelity: The Creative Curriculum for Preschool and Teaching Strategies GOLD on Amazon.com. Explore the research base around why curriculum fidelity is important. We spend so much time focused on making sure that learning is meaningful and relevant for children, and we need to do the same thing for our staff, to do real and meaningful professional development. The training may address literacy, behavior issues, child needs and professional development of staff within the classroom. So, again, tying these pieces of P.D. So, we could sort of think about that as the sort of the way a curriculum What sets your curriculum apart, you know? 0000043178 00000 n I have system for monitoring attendance 13. You would see maybe programs that administer some program evaluation instruments in assigned classrooms in the fall and then again in the winter to kind of think about quality practices, homes, or socialization. This videotape-winner of the 1989 Silver Apple Award at the National Educational Film and Video Festival-demonstrates how teachers set the stage for learning by creating a dynamic well-organized environment. Use this document to understand and explore curriculum fidelity. So, again, just thinking about, you know, if you make changes in a curriculum, it can be unclear what effects the curriculum will have on children. The Guide to The Creative Curriculum for Infants, Toddlers & Twos orients teachers to the curriculum materials. And so in that way, collecting information about curriculum fidelity can really be helpful. Welcome. You would see classrooms where, you know, ed managers and other staff visit classrooms regularly to coach and to provide feedback to teachers as they work on improving teaching practices through a reflective cycle, such as maybe the practice-based coaching cycle. It can be unclear about how efficacious teachers feel about implementing the curriculum. So, those are some of the pragmatic reasons for thinking about curriculum fidelity. teachers are going to say, "If I could just see that morning meeting done in the way it's so beautifully laid out in my manual. The online portal houses three introductory videos, which provide an overview of the curriculum materials. So, those science materials in the science corner with the, you know, magnifying glasses that children never venture over to and look brand-new and unused you definitely those are those are things you'd want to think about. So, we hope that you save these dates and we see you again on the next webinar. Allyson? Fidelity refers to implementing a program or curriculum as intended, which can be a key factor in its success and whether it positively moves youth outcomes. Professional Development: Frog Street Toddler offers a range of in-person courses, including both initial (Frog Street Toddler Curriculum Implementation) and ongoing (Frog Street Toddler Curriculum Follow-Up) training sessions. Or would that teacher thrive more in a smaller group setting where you can talk through these issues with other teachers? Professional Development: Frog Street offers a range of in-person courses, including both initial (Frog Street Infant Curriculum Implementation) and ongoing (Frog Street Infant Curriculum Follow-Up) training sessions. The curriculum features 13 Activity Guides that provide weekly lesson plans. So, again, really just thinking about making sure that we shore up that pillar of the house by making sure that we're following the curriculum and implementing it in the way it's intended. hb``e``Ka Y800* B1Cy9l9TdZ_s0~a"`_"z"1[b/4q=T y#%7Bp3pH310uq20S` ^% endstream endobj 158 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/Index[10 101]/Length 24/Size 111/Type/XRef/W[1 1 1]>>stream I have normed the classroom, so all students are included and engaged in the learning process 14. 0000007045 00000 n Great one. But maybe I really stay away from the science pieces of a curriculum because I'm not really as confident there. If you find that 6 out of 10 classrooms have not had any math activities going on in the past two months, you're you're going to need a plan, right? And let's start with fidelity of implementation. Discover research about why curriculum fidelity is important. If it's a confidence issue, figuring out the best way to provide training and support. The other resources you will need to use along side this are: Effective Coaching of Teachers: Fidelity Tool Rubric. Asia-Pacific early childhood care and education: teacher training handbook for social and emotional learning Corporate author : UNESCO Office Bangkok and Regional Bureau for Education in Asia and the Pacific Person as author : Singh Diwan, Monisha [author] Document code : TH/C3-5134/IQE/22/022-HB Scores approached 100% accuracy/completion for all stations. And I am sure we'll have some exciting topics for all our participants then, as well. You want to hear from teachers and home visitors about their challenges in curriculum implementation, what things they feel particularly good about, how well the curriculum meets the needs of the children and family in their program. And you can print that out and follow along. I convinced my fiscal office that I had to have the manual, the fidelity tools, and all the activity cards to go with it. 0000009802 00000 n Allyson: It's probably the best you can do. Similarly, Welcome to Frog Street Toddler describes the program components and how to use the various curriculum materials. Nobody has printed photos anymore. The materials may also include resources to help education managers and coaches support education staff to implement the curriculum effectively. But why else is it important? So, you'd think about that. The Fidelity Tool: The Creative Curriculum for Family Child Careare consumable companion pieces to Coaching to Fidelity: The Creative Curriculum Stay up to date with news about our free webinars, online resources, and products! Your students will love playing fashion designer as they use the magnetic tiles to create clothes for each template. More importantly, simulation-based education should be a teaching approach, and many simulations are utilised to substitute high-risk, rare, and complex circumstances in technical or situational . So, if a child isn't progressing as planned and you have some concerns, it can be helpful for teachers or a home visitor to really examine how the teaching was implemented, how the curriculum was adhered to, and where there was effectiveness of instruction and where maybe there wasn't, right? And I'm gonna start with global fidelity. So, let's move past implementation to professional development. So, ensuring the best and most positive outcomes for children means that we implement the curriculum to fidelity because research tells us that when teachers implement curriculum and instructional strategies in ways that are faithful to what was intended, children do better, right? Additional courses cover a wide range of content, such as family engagement and how to plan age-appropriate activities in each domain. Effectively individualize coaching with positive guidance, clear strategies, and observation tools. So, all of these things are really critical to ensuring implementation with fidelity. I'm with NCECDTL. School personnel need to conduct fidelity checks regularly (e.g., three times per year) as part of the overall implementation of RTI. Maybe, as Peter said in the chat box, maybe there's a chance for a teacher to go and see the curriculum implemented in a really strong way that can be used as a model. And then, in addition, when I practice it, am I getting some good modeling and coaching to make sure that I'm implementing the curriculum in the way it's intended? And then let's think a little bit, again, from the teacher's perspective about why ongoing assessment of child learning is so important. digging tools, containers for filling and dumping, other props such as sieves, slotted spoons, cookie cutters, animal and people figurines_ . So, you're going to want to know if your program is using assessment data over time and that that formative assessment data is used to inform curriculum modification. Measure and improve fidelity. Okay. And so what This is taken directly from those new Standards. The other thing you might see is the use of survey or other qualitative methods of gathering feedback from teachers themselves or home visitors. And really that's about ensuring that teachers are getting and all staff are getting support, feedback, supervision for continuous improvement. Karen Campbell Sawyer Oh, I recognize that name. I think this session will meet your need, and really just excited to get started. coaching on teachers' ability to implement The Creative Curriculum with fidelity. I (Noel like Christmas) am a quick-learning, Agile engineer (literally and in methodology) looking for product-focused roles and experiences maturing and growing my strategic mindset. This set includes 13 no-prep templates perfect for exploring shapes, critical thinking, and creativity. Creative Curriculum for Preschool, Guided Edition Getting Started Guide. Joe: I had some connectivity difficulties. 0000001545 00000 n Curriculum Materials to Support Implementation: The curriculum includes a comprehensive set of materials to support implementation. And the reality is, when you think about where you are on this continuum, lots of folks might think a curriculum, big "C," is that written plan I purchased. One of the things to think about is sort of why this professional-development piece is so key. So, as they saw children benefit and really increase their access to and the outcomes from the learning experiences, they were more and more committed to continuing to do it. Certainly, we want to train all education staff to implement the curriculum as intended using any fidelity tools that may be provided by the publisher, and I think several of you mentioned that in our chat box. 0000009277 00000 n Lots of great responses coming in. For instance, if the curriculum guide for this week or this month say that you're going to focus on shapes and all your children already identify shapes well and have really a solid understanding of that concept, you're not going to the activities around shapes, right? And what Robert Pianta and his associates found in a study regarding the use of a curriculum intervention, in terms of positive outcomes for children, was that it was that individualized consultation and regular, consistent feedback that were most effective in improving preschool teachers' use of instructional strategies. Effective Coaching of Teachers: Completed Sample of Fideilty Tool Worksheet. Now, if you look to the left pillar on your screen, research-based curriculum and teaching practices, and you think about all that that pillar is doing in this house, right? 0000007652 00000 n Teachers have used cartoon characters to help children develop self-concepts. It makes me think about sort of the OWL curriculum. So, in addition to observation, where you can see that in action, you might look at lesson plans. This document aligns with the Rubric of Effective Practices from TX CAN Indicator I: Alignment to State Standards - Components 1, 3, and 3a, Indicator II: Effective Teams - Components 3 and 4, Indicator IV: Differentiated Instruction - Component 7 and Indicator . Teams with previous simulation training (n510) demonstrated numerical superiority to teams without . Assessment. Innovations: The Comprehensive Infant and Toddler Curriculum. Because what we know is that curriculum is all of these things. The Teacher is responsible for performance expectations, child outcomes, compliance and adherence to policies that create a safe and active learning environment for all children in their care. So [Laughter] What are you going to do? Is the teacher, you know, not sure how to use her formative assessment to tailor or individualize a particular activity? So, am I learning about the training? 0000008207 00000 n We're really excited to kick this webinar series off. Resources used in the formation of this checklist include: The Creative Curriculum, The CAP of WI Head Start Policy and Procedure Manual, Head Start Performance Standards (HSPS), and the Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale. And so that's one aspect of implementation fidelity. In addition, over in the West Head Start Center classrooms, classrooms one and two, Cambridge County Community Action Agency Head Start/Early Head Start Center classroom two, the New City Head Start found that they lacked materials and pictures showing diversity, as specified in the creative curriculum to support children's cultures and home lives and ensure children felt a sense of belonging. Fidelity Observer(s) - Use this form to score implementation fidelity on four key elements. Have parents of color to visit the classrooms. And that's an important one because, again, I think sometimes when we think about adherence to a curriculum, a particular model or a plan, we forget about the pieces that are really open-ended and meant to be child-guided, which are just as important in terms of components around a curriculum. And I think, again, we can look to the research here to give us a clue about that. So, teachers and staff with regular, individualized consultation and coaching, procedures for providing teachers with specific and regular feedback, and ensuring that that feedback is focused on curriculum implementation, okay? Marissa is a student with visual impairment She is currently schooled in an from PSED 5 123 at Our Lady of Fatima University Those are all pieces of P.D. So, now we're gonna switch to think about actual individual activity, individual lesson fidelity, which really provides more of the sort of in-the-moment information about the way a curriculum activity is implemented within the learning setting, okay? With permission, take child and family photos from their Facebook postings. The Fidelity Tool Teacher Checklist September 20, 2022 Paraprofessional Training 09.29.2022.pptx.pdf CC Paraprofessional Training September 29, 2022 Paraprofessional Survey September 29,. And just as a reminder Yeah, so thank you again. 0000042626 00000 n Other research tells us that teachers are concerned about what they perceive as the need for the intervention. The next piece here is, why is curriculum fidelity important, you know, aside from the fact that it's now in the new Head Start Program Performance Standards, which of course, makes it important? Discover research about why curriculum fidelity is important. Thanks for calling in this afternoon or logging in from wherever you are in the country. For, you know, two weeks, I am on it. Am I learning about the curriculum? They also embed prompts for teachers to implement assessment and family engagement. We really have to think about that. Also learn ways to help education staff to implement the new Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS) related to curriculum fidelity. 0000001939 00000 n 111 0 obj <> endobj xref And then of course, as I said earlier, we know that curriculum fidelity is important because our Head Start Program Performance Standards really outline this as a key factor in high-quality early-learning programs, as defined within the Head Start Standards. And that's not just to answer the fundamental question of, "How well is the curriculum working for the children? although that's that's, you know, critical, particularly when we think about the Head Start Standards around individualizing and using data to individualize. 0000004408 00000 n And so one of the things the research gives us around this topic is sort of three main aspects of implementation fidelity, the first being differentiation so, the extent to which the critical features that distinguish the curriculum are present. The second handout is the scenario. 0000005044 00000 n trainers will be used) So let's just summarize some of these things that came up in the chat box, but let's think also just globally about all kinds of things we can do as a program, really foundational things to support curriculum fidelity from the start, right, so thinking about how you hire staff. You can have beautiful materials, but if you're not sure how to use them or where to place them in your program or like me when I had teachers in my childcare program it wasn't a Head Start program, but a childcare program we would get new materials once a year. Manual. Developed By National Center for Systemic Improvement This worksheet and rubric can be used to collect and score information about the fidelity of coaching so that this information can be used by coaches and other educators to continuously improve upon how coaching occurs. So, a lot of people are bringing up the notion of, you know, "I'm not sure that we're meeting our curriculum with fidelity. You can't really ever totally wean back. I think reassuring people and just helping people understand, when do you know fidelity is met? 0000010644 00000 n Why did you choose Opening a World of Learning? So, when you introduce a new curriculum or maybe when you're doing refresher training or maybe you're introducing a curriculum that augments your foundational curriculum maybe it's a language and literacy add-on to a foundational curriculum you're already using how do you do that initial rollout? Fidelity Checklist Items Yes No Comments for Program Improvement 10. That might be an implementation issue, right? Joe: Yeah. 0000000016 00000 n But it's also really important to teachers to give them information about how their practice is working or not working for children. 0000010532 00000 n That's a great one. The Creative Curriculum for Preschool provides the guidance, support, and encouragement your teachers need for effective implementation. Those are things you'd want to think about in your curriculum fidelity pieces. Find a Head Start job near you or anywhere in the U.S. Curriculum Implementation Fidelity Handout, Curriculum Implementation Fidelity Power Point Handout, Curriculum Implementation Fidelity - Scenario I, Early Childhood Development, Teaching and Learning. You know, that's a. It's, in a cyclical way, informing your interactions, the way you set up your environment. Scoring details at the bottom of this form. And I'm gonna get to interacting right from the start. It can be diagnostic, to a certain extent, for a program. 0000042098 00000 n program checklist, creative curriculums fidelity tool teacher checklist, the creative curriculum for preschool implementation, coaching solutions teaching strategies, teachingstrategies com pd or call 800 637 3652, new jersey department . Curriculum Materials to Support Implementation: The HighScope Infant-Toddler Curriculum provides a comprehensive set of materials to support implementation. The Fidelity Tool Teacher Checklist is a valuable tool to set up the classroom, prepare for students, and prepare teachers for the teaching practices they should implement consistently. It's almost like triaging. I have a little panic moment. 0000048428 00000 n This engaging Book Discussion Card Supplement for Henny Penny, comes right from the Teaching Guide, so you maintain fidelity to the program and make learning fun. Authors update them. 0000003450 00000 n Well, maybe not meaningless, but certainly maybe not as meaningful as another approach. Curriculum Materials to Support Implementation: Innovations: The Comprehensive Infant and Toddler Curriculum includes a thorough set of materials to support implementation. Criteria for Infant and Toddler Curricula, How to Navigate the Curriculum Consumer Report, Alignment with the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework (ELOF), Individualization Based on Interests, Strengths, and Needs, Individualization for Children with Disabilities, Suspected Delays, or Other Special Needs, Professional Development and Materials to Support Implementation. 0000018504 00000 n 0000018847 00000 n So if it's a materials issue, figuring out a way to support the purchasing of materials. Prefill your email content below, and then select your email client to send the message. You've got to sort of get to what's behind that, right? And I would say P.D. So, if you're already working, for instance, with teaching staff around the CLASS pre-K indicators under instructional learning format, for instance so, all of those things where you're asking staff to be thoughtful about using advanced organizers or re-orienting children back to the purpose of a lesson or some of those summary statements that, again, help children connect why they're doing certain things, what the purpose of activities is, what you're really what they're really what you're hoping they're going to get out of the activity. But if it's one week and it rained every day and it didn't happen, but within the course of a month, you see some that activity or something very similar around helping children understand different textures, then that would still be a curriculum implemented with fidelity, even though it wasn't scripted and it didn't happen in the exact time and place that a curriculum might define. And what we know is that these four components, when pulled together, sort of define what we mean by effective practices, effective teacher practices that really lead to the types of outcomes we want for children and families. 0000008709 00000 n So you can certainly use those tools. We've got a written plan all the way over on the left side of the vector diagram, and over to the right, everything that happens, right? So, I think about this, something just, you know, really straightforward. Creative Curriculum for Preschool: Implementation Checklist Share Resource Type: Instruments Author (s): Teaching Strategies, Inc. I adhere to that diet. And so when we think about wanting, really, to achieve some of the same results that were achieved by those researchers, we have to think about curriculum fidelity to ensure that we're optimizing those outcomes. Is the teacher lacking confidence? So important, right? You sort of go through all of the systems that are in your control, all the things you can control in terms of supporting children, and then if what's left is something more organic about the child, then you have great information to move forward with a referral or other options. Curriculum Materials to Support Implementation: The curriculum includes a comprehensive set of materials to support implementation.