Also, because technically it is easier, many patients are being reconstructed with very short stems which are press fit into the bone during an anterior approach. Would not make eye contact. Every prosthetic joint has a mechanical range of motion. My husband has a plastic valve (done in 86) and synthetic assending aorta and triple bypass (done in 2013)very successful surgery. Thank you, We can help you make the best decision for your knee replacement, and our friendly staff is available to answer any questions you may have. Results of the surgery numbness in the right thigh, inability to stand on the right leg, muscle atrophy all confirmed by EMG and second orthopedic surgeon. Have you ever performed the Mini on a patient 1 year after major open heart surgery? For the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of hip pain and other problems affecting your hips, call Advanced Sports Medicine Center today at (941) 957-1500. He strongly recommends the anterior approach as the only way to go. If I can put you on the spot. There are numerous complications associated with hip replacement surgery, but blood clots in the legs and hips are two of them. Im hearing no restrictions (once recovery is done) for Anterior, but always some for the other two. An anterior approach to hip replacement allows the surgeon to perform more limited views of the hip joint during the surgery, making the procedure technically challenging for less experienced surgeons. Pam. For risks she mentioned all the usual I knew about from the first surgery blood clots/loss, dislocation, etc. Each surgeon approaches these issues individually. Also congenital pulmonary hypertension (PA pressure about 52) and have hashimotos hypothyroid, and two additional auto immune issues ( alopecia and psoriasis of feet),and hypertension. Ill be 60 at the time and Im 54 and weight about 130 lbs in fairly good shape. There is a 1-2% risk of fracture of the femoral neck. I will reiterate what I know to be true. This is particularly true if the person is overweight, has very muscular thighs or is short. Thanks! Any info would be appreciated. Since my acetabulum is too shallow, and other angles are off as well, how does the new cup get positioned correctly? How do you ask your doctor the questions you want to ask? It sounds as if you had a wonderful surgeon. There does appear to be an increased incidence of stem instability when implanted through the anterior approach, but I believe this is largely a function of the surgeon experience. I furniture surfed in the house and used a stick outside.I was hopeless with crutches, but I think it is recommended we should use them, particularly to ensure we don't get a limp and build our leg up properly. Some patients report that symptoms increase in the not-yet reconstructed hip because of the leg length inequality. Time will tell if this generation of shorter press-fit stems fares as well. He is passionate about helping his patients achieve the best possible outcome and is committed to providing the highest quality of care. Because the dissection is over the front of the hip, a number of patients will experience residual pain and tightness anteriorly (in the front of the hip) at least early on. Is THR something that can help? I would like to share my experience with both procedures. A hip replacement can be delayed until it is absolutely necessary if the replacement parts can fail over time. Why would the doctor not have that at their finger tips? During anterior approaches, fracture repair is much more difficult and necessitates the use of a separate incision. General comments will be answered in as timely a manner as possible. Although Superpath hip replacement is often a safe treatment, it may be associated with certain concerns, such as increased postoperative pain, as with any surgical procedure. Until now. There are 5 questions, mobility, self-care, usual activities, pain and anxiety. I tore my labrum at age 43 and only discovered then that I had bilateral dysplasia. There arent any activities that you can do with a resurfaced hip that you cant do with a total hip. I am seriously looking at the infection rate at each facility. Also, is it immoral for an 80 year old to have THR and cost the nations health care system $25 $35k? I am a 49-year-old female. Dear Mary, Problem is that we have seen two doctors and both seem great but are on two extreme sides of the fence. as being in breach of those terms. If you feel confident in your surgeon, I would discuss it frankly follow his or her guidance as to which approach and prosthesis are most appropriate to give you the best result. Hip replacement is a surgical procedure in which the hip joint is replaced by a prosthetic implant, that is, a hip prosthesis.Hip replacement surgery can be performed as a total replacement or a hemi (half) replacement. A hip replacement is a common type of surgery where a damaged hip joint is replaced with an artificial one (known as an implant). But this blog was a nice nudge toward the posterior. This is because the nerve is located in front of the hip. The idea is it should be a little less painful if the muscle, tendons and nerves are not disturbed. Some hospitals and surgery centers are promoting one method of hip replacement over another. Both approaches have been shown to have potential in research. Some surgeons will use 2 incisions, both the anterior and superior approach. I am a 55 year old with a labral tear and moderate arthritis. I have been told that I can fly 48 hours after surgery?? The most important decision you must make is choosing your surgeon. Thanks, Posterior, mini posterior or anterior? Download scientific diagram | (a) Components of a total hip replacement; (b) The components merged into an implant; (c) The implant as it fits into the hip [15]. This improved quality of life will be beneficial. Click on the different category headings to find out more. By adhering to the surgeons instructions as well as their pre- and post-operative instructions, you can reduce your chances of complications. J. Dear Dr. Leone, I just had mine 10/30 all I can say is be patient get lots of rest and take your pain meds way before you start to move around so that the pain want be so bad with movement. Also, patients with shorter femur necks and genu varus (lower angle between the shaft of the femur and the femoral neck) are more difficult anteriorly. Im hoping to play tennis, go dancing and horseback riding once Ive healed. Before proceeding, it is a good idea to review the recommendations and specific parts that your surgeon may recommend. These are all realistic goals. The doctor has scheduled me for total hip replacement in two weeks and he uses the Posterior approach, he didnt say anything about the mini part. Pain is almost gone and I am beginning to get back to my life. The surgical technique for a SUPERPATH Hip Replacement was developed as an advancement to traditional total hip replacement. It also keeps the surrounding muscles and tendons in place to reduce the risk of post-op pain and nerve damage. Tossed the cane at three weeks and went back to work. The SUPERPATHTM procedure provides a number of advantages over traditional hip replacement surgery. I try not to bring up my mess but its hard when its with one 24/7. Most THR patients do not need significant supervised physical therapy after surgery; they simply do well when their surgery is done well. I absolutely would not insist on minimally invasive surgery and a small incision, especially considering your mom is short, obese and has osteoporosis. What is most important is that the surgery is expertly done, that the tissues are not brutalized, and that the surgeon can see what he or she is doing. This is not true for bilateral cases. It seems that whatever their particular approach is that is what they sell. Please comment. Lift your knee rather than your hip at the same time. I assume PTHR is referring to partial hip replacement. They are encouraged to be very active and most stop using a cane, can drive their cars and are exercising in the pool, just two weeks after surgery. I often suggest to my patients that they speak to other patients for whom Ive cared and to whom they can relate to learn about their experiences. Soon my right hip started bothering me. The highly crossed linked polyethylene liners are now the gold standard in this country. Yes, Im angry. You can check these in your browser security settings. Each question is scored from 1-5, with 1 being no problems and 5 being severe problems. This too will lower your anxiety and improve your experience. The best of luck to you, Stay was 2.5 days. My problem isnt from a worn-down joint with no cartilage. Thank you for sharing with others the nerve supplements that youre finding affective. As for doctors, the surgeon I had came highly recommended. I recently had a spontaneous hip fx and was diagnosed with hip displasia. The second most-common injury is to the femoral nerve. Is it really as good as it sounds? Glad that after lots of PT and massage and medial branch block for back issues with NO!!! Also, be aware that as the nerve recovers, the smallest C fibers within the nerve recover first, which can cause a burning discomfort. DAA and SuperPATH were equal in functional outcome and acetabular cup positioning. I play in the 50s age group. An anterior-approach hip replacement necessitates a small incision in the groin area on the front side of the leg. I had no inkling of this till he showed me on the x-ray. The intended interval between the front thigh muscles can be difficult to recognize and there has been an associated increase in injury to the femoral nerve or vessels. Recently the doctor doing anterior decided because of thin bone, he should do direct lateral approach. For many years, I performed bilateral THR and bilateral TKR procedures, but have backed away for a variety of reasons. Its interesting that when we critically analyze all the variables that ultimately make up the experience that one person has compared with another, or that one person experiences on one side versus the other, we come to recognize its not so straightforward. I am wondering if having mild hip dysplasia is a factor in which approach is used. Thanks so much for your help, very grateful. Posterior hip surgery may be the best option if your surgeon makes a larger incision at the side or back of the hip joint. It is generally agreed that the temporary numbness is more than balanced out by the substantially improved recovery, reduced pain, absence of a limp, faster return to function, and virtual elimination of the risk of hip dislocation. I was thinking of a Hip Resurfacing for my left hip and was convinced by my other top hip surgeons to stay away from it. Patient is a UK registered trade mark. Also if the mini posterior approach is so effective when would it not be preferred over the regular posterior approach?