Getting started with FTA Free To Air Satellite Television. On Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 07:13:50 AM CST, John wrote: On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 09:15 PM, Michael Black wrote: Suggest running at 50% duty cycle on the IC7610 for data. Best advice I can offer, is check pskreporter. Lets see in more detail how this works. 2,652 Stations <0 1,232 Stations >0. Different colors are different bands and minutes indicate the last time they heard and reported back automatically. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Freq: Frequency (Hz) of the received signal, Message Meaning, CQ KE8FMJ EM89 CQ call from KE8FMJ, KE8FMJ N8DXE EN91 N8DXE replies with location, N8DXE KE8FMJ-10 KE8FMJ responds with a signal report, KE8FMJ N8DXE R-09 N8DXE replies with own report, N8DXE KE8FMJ RR73 KE8FMJ says Report Received and Best Regards***, KE8FMJ N8DXE 73 N8DXE says Best Regards. I noticed for a while that I can hear better than I am being heard. With the bonus of DAX not requiring A/D conversion and the attendant degradation of received signals, your great installation, radio, and location really do put you ahead of the average Joe. All topics relating to the hobby are welcome here, from purchasing and building equipment, to operating techniques and activities, and everything in between. Good luck! Are you sure you wish to repost this message? The idea of replacing characters with indexes is important here, which is effective when using a small dictionary size. FT8 is one of a group of Multiple Frequency-Shift Keying (MFSK) modes that include JT9, JT65 and MSK144 created by Joe Taylor, K1JT and co-developers. FT4 is faster still (7.5 s T/R sequences) and especially well-suited for radio contesting. A FT8 contact would be quite an undertaking. What do all the characters mean? What sort of AGC are you using? Be sure to configure your software properly as described below. Of course, before the mass appearance of personal computers in homes, probably no radio amateurs were thinking about transmitting and decoding digital data. Despite this, according to the statistics, people definitely enjoy FT8 usage. They are negative numbers (unless you are running too much power; Is there too much power? Records the default button state of the corresponding category & the status of CCPA. 1 week 2 weeks 1 month 2 months 3 months 6 months 1 year no. You can find multitudes of contacts on these frequencies. I always thought, its likely because of a quiet location, a good radio (6600M) and maybe others running more power. These features can be selectively enabled to match band and signal conditions as well as the user's available CPU horsepower. This increase has come at the expense of other mode activity, especially CW. All topics relating to the hobby are welcome here, from purchasing and building equipment, to operating techniques and activities, and everything in between. The one on the right, being about 100Hz wide, is a second harmonic, and the one on the left, being about 150Hz wide, may be a third harmonic. FT8 uses 8-GFSKGaussian Frequency-Shift Keying modulation, includes forward error correction (FECForward Error Correction), and has an effective data rate of 5 words per minute. Many Thanks for the link James, explains it well, a useful chart that gives the scale. Display Reception Reports. For example what is the equivalent in comparison to RST. Overcrowding encourages some to turn on their amplifiers, which only makes things worse. Both FT8 and JS8 are heavily dependent on an accurate computer clock, since the modes send/receive information in a recurring, automated, 15s transmit/receive cycle. I HIGHLY recommend doing this. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. What are the frequencies? On Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 08:25:36 AM CST, Chris VE3NRT wrote: "The cycle of operation of a machine or other device which operates intermittently rather than continuously. To maximize the chances of success, each FT8 packet holds 13. A 14-bit CRC will also be added. Lots of variables here. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. The name FT8 stands for Franke and Taylor, 8-FSK modulation. +19 is about the best you should get, down to about -24dB. It is calculated as the ratio of signal power to the noise power. Darkness for night shadow (0-1) Show all Show LoTW/eQSL Show LoTW Show eSQL. CleanTalk sets this cookie to complete an anti-spam solution and firewall for the website, preventing spam from appearing in comments and forms. 73 Cliff W3KKO. Between the radio and SteppIR DB18, I have these devices inline: Welcome to the world of Antennas, Propagation and Black Box Technology!! When you get back a signal report from someone, it just tells you how loud you were on their setup at that particular time. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. According to WSJT-X instructions you should tune up for maximun output then back off till the power output drops on you monitor. I consistently get low signal reports for FT8 contacts, typically 15db less than what I send as a received signal. WSJT-X This is the client that most people use for decoding FT8. Frequency modulation 8-FSK, tone space is 6.25Hz. Since FT8 automatically transmits and receives only the bare minimum of information necessary to complete what officially counts as an amateur radio contact (QSO), FT8 has been criticized by some amateur radio enthusiasts as a means for radio amateurs to 'cheat' their way to victory in certain contests and award categories. *** As an alternate, sometimes you will see: N8DXE KE8FMJ RRR KE8FMJ says Report Received, KE8FMJ N8DXE 73 N8DXE says Best Regards, N8DXE KE8FMJ 73 KE8FMJ says Best Regards. nanninga campground alberta. Yes it can be frustrating some times, but the challenge is half the fun. FT8 signal report Sent/Rcv consistent difference. This cookie is placed by CleanTalk Spam Protect to prevent spam and to store the addresses (urls) visited on the website. As we can see, FT8 is quite an interesting protocol. The test_cookie is set by doubleclick.net and is used to determine if the user's browser supports cookies. Some of the data that are collected include the number of visitors, their source, and the pages they visit anonymously. I think this violates the Terms of Service. The cookie stores information anonymously and assigns a randomly generated number to recognize unique visitors. However this is what makes Ham Radio so DAM interesting and fun!! Cleantalk set this cookie to detect spam and improve the website's security. The message length of 77 bits was chosen as a compromise between the transmission time (about 13 seconds, which is not so fast) and the information capacity the message could be made longer, but the transmit time should also be increased. For details of this cookie, go to. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. It does not store any personal data. The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. Tail Ending QSO As a result, our CQ DL1ABC JO62 message will be converted to data block 00 00 00 23 44 4A 11 91 3F 88. As we know, we have a maximum of 8 tones (modulation type is FSK-8). I now have a new Windows 10 computer, loaded with the latest versions of WSJT-X (v2.2.2) and JTAlert (v2.16.17). This runs in the background and keeps your clock in-sync by resetting the time to one of the online atomic clock servers every 20 minutes. IZ1M confirms signal report & replies with his own report, KI7PO tells IZ1M, "Reception Report Received". Typically I run between 35w-65w for FT-8. FT8 is Weak Signal Mode FT8 80m Log. This cookie can only be read from the domain they are set on and will not track any data while browsing through other sites. Both are compromises, but my FT8 contacts in Antarctica, Fiji, Australia, NZ, Japan, etc don't know that. I think this message isn't appropriate for our group. Antenna for 70cms is a 7 ele ZLspecial, fixed towards SE up at about 15 feet. If band is open pulls in FT8 quite well, forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/the-skignal-reports.591508/. I don't run any preamp for FT8. You can test it by clapping your hands or sneezing while the FT8 transmission is ongoing, if you see something appearing in the waterfall on your monitor (as I did) then turn the MIC off. It's in fact often practically unattended. First off, you need to connect your PC to your HF rig. IMO, focus on doing everything you can to improve your receive capabilities first with a focus on lowering your noise floor, then improve antenna transmit gain before adding power. Grayed-out cells are commonly-used frequencies which are not included in the default program settings of JS8Call or WSJT-X (FT8). For FT8 and many other digital modes (But not RTTY), the values are measured by the software and are expressed in dB such as -10 or +02 for example. By far the most useful weirdness is to shift-click on the waterfall to put your TX signal there (think of it as shift my TX). Groups.io. There are several types of interface available, depending on your rig. JS8Call is an experiment to test the feasibility of a digital mode with the robustness of FT8, combined with a messaging and network protocol layer for weak signal communication on HF, using a keyboard messaging style interface. Want to say thanks? Examples of non-digital reports would be: The polite thing to do otherwise is to give an accurate report to the other party so they get a feel for how well their signal is getting through. Image provided by ANgazu. It's a good way to check the quality of your radio setup, and the radio propagation properties that depend on how grumpy the ionosphere is at the moment. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. What says you are have a problem are things like. It works only in coordination with the primary cookie. YSC cookie is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos on Youtube pages. During this step, we transform the message into a tones sequence of different frequencies. FT8 handles very weak signals very well, meaning that a Foundation licence holder with just 10 watts should be able to make some impressive contacts with a modest antenna - something not possible with voice or some other data modes. It's not a measure of your output. The numbers tell you the strength of your FSK signal (6.25 Hz) as it compares to the signals in an entire 2.5 kHz SSB bandwidth. The above is an example of what you will find at the PSKreporter.info website where you can monitor your own transmissions and see where you are heard. If this is the case, then you probably have signal distortion in audio output. (Sources: WSJT-X 2.1.0 Program default settings, DXZone, WSJT-X Documentation, JS8Call Documentation). Image source: www.qsl.net/w1dyj/FT8%20for%20web.pdf. CleanTalk sets this cookie to store dynamic variables from the browser. AE6Y will be active again as P49Y from Aruba Island, IOTA SA - 036, in ARRL DX CW Contest, 18 - 19 February 2023. I'm using a TS-590S for FT-8 on a MyAntennas 4010-1k EFHW that's around 35'. This letter is often printed on QSL cards between quotation marks (like "O" ) in order to clearly indicate that it's a letter O and not a zero. Signal reports in FT8 are signal to noise ratio, NOT strength. Easy doesn't equate with bad. Google DoubleClick IDE cookies are used to store information about how the user uses the website to present them with relevant ads and according to the user profile. I slide it down until my TS-590s ALC meter shows nothing. signal reports when using FT8 and JT65. Have you ever wondered why JT65 reports a Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) typically in the range -30 dB to -1 dB? Most likely your noise level is much lower than the station(s) you are working but I have also noticed a difference in the reports I give out depending which radio/AGC setting I am using. Many Thanks for the link James, explains it well, a useful chart that gives the scale. ft8 signal reports explained. I noticed for a while that I can hear better than I am being heard. These frequencies will appear in your drop-down band-selector list after you go to the Settings/Frequencies tab, right-click on the frequency table, and select Reset. Hello, after years of saying I would never work FT8 I have finally taken the plunge and having a play. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Press J to jump to the feed. A +12 signal at times says more about the other persons low noise floor than whether you maybe a strong signal. Welcome to Reddit's own amateur (ham) radio club. That lets a massive amount of signal into the mixer. Increasing FT8 usage on the popular bands 40, 30, and 20m means that the default 3 kHz sub-bands are often wall-to-wall with signals. I will be starting a donor thank you page soon so please indicate if you wish to be not listed. Conventions may change with time or by user preference; you can modify the frequency table as desired." On a trial basis, and in response to numerous suggestions from around the world, we have added a second set of suggested dial frequencies for FT8 on three HF bands and also on 6 meters. It's main advantage is that it allows low-power stations with marginal Let's say I call CQ and a few stations respond, the first being pretty weak (call 1st enabled). You are just very strong. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". Typically the interface will appear as a COM port and WSJTX will need to be set to the correct COM, PTT So that the PC can put the rig into Transmit, the software needs to know how to trigger Transmit. Examples: Does anyone else have this trend as well? Be aware that as currently implemented, WSJT-X will set your dial to the lowest frequency for the selected mode and band, when you switch bands. YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video. If the average recipient has a lot more noise than you, you will get a worse report on average. I am running . By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. This is most easlly done by the PWR Slider. Is it because I'm only running around 1/2 power? By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Thank you! It was specifically created to work well in really bad situations like meteor scatter or moonbounce. You know I hadn't even thought of that. On our website, you'll find information on what ham radio has to offer, help and advice for radio amateurs and clubs across the UK, and for those in the Essex area, a list of activities and local clubs. EME is a single letter O and nothing else than a single letter O. Now, with FT8, I have real comparisons and can surely see a 5 - 10 db difference for most contacts. Here you will see that on my FT8 Transmit some decoded me as +13 and others closer as -3, this can be due to skip zones as well as different antenna setups, etc. FST4 is designed especially for the LF and MF bands. I forgot how the software handles the ratio. The interface will need to connect into the PCs soundcard (for audio) and typically USB for controlling the radio. FT8 is designed as an HFHigh Frequency (3-30 MHz) mode, but (as with any amateur radio mode) can also be used on VHFVery High Frequency (30-300 MHz)/UHFUltra High Frequency (300-3000 MHz) if desired. You can make contacts a lot faster on CW or SSB. FT8 is by nature < 50% duty cycle. DT: Calculated offset of the received signal from your local clock Values above .3 are not optimal. Hertz (Hz), unit of frequency, defined as one cycle per second (1 Hz). The new topic will begin with this message. A cookie set by YouTube to measure bandwidth that determines whether the user gets the new or old player interface. JS8 is a variant of FT8 which allows operators to send more information and converse with each other. JS8 was created to allow the basic principles of FT8 to be applied to sending actual messages (instead of just the bare minimum QSO information that FT8 limits operators with). Ham radio callsigns have a strictly defined format of letters and numbers, which also allows us to record them in a more compact form. It's a shame that most people don't understand that FT8 is designed for weak signal communication. It contains a hashed/encrypted unique ID. The exchange above would therefore take about 90 seconds (compared with seven minutes on JT65). Try lowering the AGC, if any, and/or the output audio level. FT8 is a very popular protocol and continually growing. That means that you need your clock to be accurate to the precise second. I am using Windows 10 with WSJT-X v2.5.3 with a USB connection to an iCom 7610 transceiver running 100w. Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Advertisement" category . Hello, after years of saying I would never work FT8 I have finally taken the plunge and having a play. I've contacted 2 people in the same city before one after another. Your transmit and receive capabilities are not that much different. Forgot your username? Some operators do, some don't. Good sensitivity allows using of FT8 with compact or even balcony antennas. And strangely enough, this had its advantages the operator himself had to find the right frequency, evaluate the signal quality by ear, see the decoded characters on the screen, type the answer, and so on. Other amateur radio operators herald the mode as a boon to the hobby of amateur radio during times when the solar cycle is at a minimum and when radio propagation conditions are poor. ft8 signal reports explained. At this step, the message is converted to 00 00 00 23 44 4A 11 91 3F 8B 57 7E CF 78 77 39 55 DE 36 EF 01 48 data block. Benjamin Kowalewicz Instagram; Amos And Andy Billiard Board For Sale; What Cat Should I Get Quiz Buzzfeed; Holographic Film Plates; Sports Flick Champions League FT8 is a weak signal - not a low power mode (power works the really weak ones) FT8 lets you work DX on 6m when there would be none FT8 is suddenly dominating VHF/UHF contesting FT8 lets you work weak signal DX without proficient CW skills FT8 is like having constant DX beacons on every band If I ran the preamp on it would make the situation even worse. Wondering if I can get some clarification. See tip 5 and others. As with other data modes, youll need some kind of interface box to sit between the rig and your computer. Tell us more about your antenna system - antenna, feedline, any transmatch needed, etc. In general, the authors did a perfect job of creating an almost completely automated communication tool that could, on the one hand, transmit information more efficiently, and on the other, kill the ham radio spirit in the bud. FT8 and Ghost Decodes. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. On average I run about 30 watts only on this mode and have had some success on 70cms along with the other bands. Splattering shows up as an extra wide signal on the receiving waterfall. This cookie is set by DoubleClick to note the user's specific user identity. Sometimes propagation is like a laser. The only time I bump up to full power is if there's been QSB and the other station isn't copying my "RR73". FT8 transmits this minimum of information in a semi-automated fashion on its own time frame. FT8: Frequencies, Decibels, and Message Meanings. This signal is transmitted almost "as is" into the air, and the backward process of decoding is activated on the receiver side. Subject of the new topic: I've seen the same, that outlier station with a good receive setup or just weird propagation magic that copies you +12 while everyone else in that grid is coping you -10. Just kind of looking for a FT-8 signal report sanity check. There is just a PC screen, and the rest is done by algorithms and mathematics. SNR is expressed in dB (decibles). These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Automatic miles km. Functional cookie placed by CleanTalk Spam Protect to store referring IDs and prevent unauthorized spam from being sent from the website. On average I run about 30 watts only on this mode and have had some success on 70cms along with the other bands. https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html WSJT downloads for all platformshttps://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/devel.html WSJT-X source codehttps://github.com/kgoba/ft8_lib FT8 encoderhttp://laarc.weebly.com/uploads/7/3/2/9/73292865/ft8syncv8.pdf Synchronization in FT8https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-density_parity-check_code LDPC code, Coding, Tutorials, News, UX, UI and much more related to development, Python/IoT developer and data engineer, data science and electronics enthusiast, https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html, https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/devel.html, http://laarc.weebly.com/uploads/7/3/2/9/73292865/ft8syncv8.pdf, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-density_parity-check_code. When you get back a signal report from someone, it just tells you how loud you were on their setup at that particular time. The RST reporting system is represented in three numbers for CW and two numbers for Phone. If you're getting a +5 SNR report then obviously dial it way back but when I do DX at 100 Watts it's usually -10 or less. greg davies daughter carly; can i deposit someone else's check into my chime account; how much is bungee fitness near los angeles, ca; The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". CleanTalk sets this cookie to prevent spam on comments and forms and act as a complete anti-spam solution and firewall for the site. Its significantly faster than the similar JT-65, It works very well even with a lot of noise, Its popular, so theres lots of activity, Its semi-automated, making for easy contacts, Its a great way of racking up the countries youve worked, without too much hassle, Getting the audio connected. This will cause the software to compare the signal to the noise floor of the virtual audio signal which is way lower than my RF noise floor. In amateur radio, QRP operation refers to transmitting at reduced power while attempting to maximize one's effective range. The FT8 digital mode that Joe, K1JT, and company rolled out a little over a year ago has become a game changer in ham radio. In the first step, common abbreviations are replaced by shorter codes, for example, CQ gets a 02h code. Google Ads Service uses this cookie to collect information about from multiple websites for retargeting ads. Its a really smart combination of bit optimization, mathematics and usability. You may be working them off their side, or even long path. When I last had a play the lower the alc the smaller the spurs at each tone change. The message length is 15s, and messages are transmitted via fixed time slots, which makes decoding easier. The higher the better when it comes to decoding, but generally you do not want to come back as positive unless it is a nearby station as this indicates you are running way too much power. By . I do and I encourage you to do so as well. Special message It is an ICOM feature, not a bug. ft8 signal reports explained 97867 74664 head gravity tour string pattern Facebook south tyneside council white goods Twitter best chicken parm near me Youtube. Remember this is a S/N report,not a power level report. That being said, it just means you are coming in loud at the receiving location.