63 single family homes for sale in Laurel MS. View pictures of homes, review sales history, and use our detailed filters to find the perfect place. Property crime is much more prevalent in Laurel than it is nationwide. It adjusts for the number of visitors and daily workers commuting into cities. I get emotional about it. This 18,000-person city was incorporated in 1882. The residents of Laurel pulled together to transform the small town they called home. He had a bird's-eye view. how bad is crime in laurel, mississippi. One of the state's largest cities, Gulfport is home to about 72,000. Weather. Public art display creates controversy in MS - WDAM Violent Crimes. The real catalyst here happened a little over eight years ago, when Judi Holifield became the director of Laurel Main Street. "Match Any Neighborhood" calculates the Match Level of one neighborhood to another using more than 200 characteristics of each neighborhood. As a result, it is a popular tourist destination inside the Bienville National Forest. According to local publication WBRC, the Napiers' impact can already be felt with fans reportedly traveling over to try to catch a glimpse of the couple. Even though this Delta city is a bit on the smaller side in terms of population, it is actually considered the most dangerous place to live in Mississippi. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 18,393 although a significant population increase has been reported following Hurricane Katrina. Crime - WDAM The number of homicides stood at 2 - an increase of 1 compared to 2018. Just another site According to E!, the couple and their home were featured in a magazine, and the photo of their house found its way onto social media. After being gone from Laurel for 34 years, I decided to return in 2015. The next step is filling out an application form, after which there's a casting process that lasts anywhere between six weeks and six months. ". I understand why people are scared. It corresponds to, Kamikaze pilots were members of a Japanese special attack force during World War II. Indianola. Best nearby. and signals that you've found the historic district of this small Mississippi town. This means that there are more houses available for sale, which drives down prices. Plus 5 reasons not to live in Mississippi. There are plenty of things to do in the area, and the schools are good. Low 48F. 51% of Mississippi residents reported feeling safe in their state compared to 55% of Americans. While these areas tend to have lower crime rates and higher quality of life, it is primarily a map of the best areas by median home value in Laurel, MS. The message is so beautifully rendered, in warm colors with exquisite workmanship, that it tells you all you need to know: Somebody loves this place. 1107 N 6th Avenue. Night or day, it's a very safe place. I could go to the Woolworth and buy anything I wanted, but I still couldn't sit at the lunch counter. History. The Safest and Most Dangerous Places in Biloxi, MS: Crime Maps and But here is the hard part: people must be willing to stand up and demand it. The violent crime rate in Laurel is 676.7 per 100,000 people. Click to reveal It has shone a spotlight on all that is good and vibrant in our little part of the South. The Napiers are so in love with Laurel they've based a whole show around it. For Laurel, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). King John of England was not a well-liked monarch. Raw crime incidents are sourced from all 18,000+ local law enforcement agencies municipal, county, transit, park, port, university, tribal and more, assigned to localities, then built into NeighborhoodScouts proprietary predictive models to provide a comprehensive crime risk profile for every neighborhood and address-vicinity in the U.S. More about NeighborhoodScouts crime data methodology, By sending this Report you agree to NeighborhoodScout's, My Chances of Becoming a Victim of a In fact, it counts as the number 1 most dangerous spot in Mississippi. It's really not a bad place to live. Since her childhood years, she kept an eye on a house in Laurel that she dreamed of buying when she was older. The people are friendly and the community is close-knit. Persons per household, 2017-2021. Laurel has a 33 percent crime rate. Laurel is safer than 6% of the cities in the United States. When a girlfriend of Greg Burroughs called the Laurel Police Department back in 2014 because he was being abusive toward her and the girlfriend winds up being the only one arrested, that is all part of the privilege game. For a four-night cabin stay in Gatlinburg, the average family will spend $916, which works out to $444 per night. She brought together all the people of downtown to get to know each other and become friends. There were more than half a million submissions for the spot, emphasizing just how popular Ben and Erin are. Stay at Bonnie's Laurel Cottage, a super-friendly place owned by Bonnie McConkey (it's about five minutes from downtown). By MexicoBob25. The livability factors were ranked in this assessment and compared to those in other cities. junio 16, 2022 . The city of St. Louis had the highest murder rate in the United States in 2019. One option is to simply turn yourself in to the police. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. "To have the impact of a . Since you viewed this item previously you can read it again. Laurel, MS + Follow. According to the 2010 census, 18,540 people lived in the city. NeighborhoodScout has done just that. 91.7%. I think everybody was just so excited about downtown.". ", Jim, Erin's cousin, became one of the founders of the group Laurel Main Street. Laurels 2019 crime rate increased by 2% compared to 2018. Yes, laurel ms is a good place to live. See a list of all of the Official Weather Advisories, Warnings, and Severe Weather Alerts for Laurel, MS. 16% of survey respondents reported having a personal experience with violent crime 12 months prior to the surveydown two percentage points from last year. Laurel is a city located in Jones County in Mississippi, a state of the United States of America. I loved it on long walks with Ben in college when we would daydream about our someday life together.". Violent crimes in Laurel are 56% lower than the national average. . Located in the southeast region of Mississippi known as the Pine Belt, the city of Laurel was originally established in 1882. We bought this place in 2015 and began renovations (Joseph is a contractor). I'll take you.' She said, "We like shopping flea markets and architectural salvage, or Ben builds things himself. A historic home that received a remodel from Ben and Erin Napier on season 1, episode 2 of their hit HGTV . Altogether, there is a 1 in 20 risk that you will become a victim of crime in Laurel. Ate all over Laurel and occasionally I watched my manners dining at Laurel's hotel. The owner of Pearl's Diner dishes out homegrown hospitality. "When we all came home from collegeMallorie and Jim Rasberry, Emily and Josh Nowell, Ben, and mewe were the only people who lived downtown," Erin remembers. Happily, the impact of Home Town is keenly felt by the denizens of the Mississippi haven, too. Mississippi is the poorest state in the United States, with a poverty rate of 19.6%, according to the US Census Bureau. The majority of the furniture will be sold, which is a common question, so the Home Town look John loved will remain. how bad is crime in laurel, mississippi As reported by E!, Erin was aware of Ben before he noticed her. The rate of crime in Biloxi is 68.03 per 1,000 residents during a standard year. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 19. She noted, "We were tired of the stereotypes about small towns and the kind of future and career you can have in a small town. 57. LAUREL, MS (WDAM) - People in the city of Laurel are torn over a statue that some deem racist. A monster who would call his judge friend before dialing 911 while his girlfriend is dying . Working, playing, raising a family, and so on are all part of this wonderful place. Laurel residents speak only English at 94.28 percent, while 5.92 percent speak other languages. Before Home Town became a hit,Tucker said, "We haven't had a traditional attraction for tourism. Other US patent applications are currently pending. In 2020, there were only 1,466 violent crimes reported in Maine, or 108.6 crimes for every 100,000 people. Language other than English spoken at home, percent of persons age 5 years+, 2017-2021. As Home Town gives attention to Laurel, the town is now getting compared to a well-known, fictitious location: Stars Hollow. The safety rating for Laurel is 35th, which means 65% of cities are safer and 35% are more dangerous than it is. Are you at risk of becoming a victim of crime in Laurel, Mississippi? Where is 2022 data? 4. Madison is Mississippis most secure city, while Tutwiler is the states fastest growing city. She's known for creating beautiful lifestyle books that are inviting, real, and accessible. Separately, it is always interesting and important to compare a city's crime rate with those of similarly sized communities - a fair comparison as larger cities tend to have more crime. Raw data sources: A newcomer finds her people in an unexpected place. You might recognize Erin and her husband, Bentwo of Laurel's biggest championsfrom their HGTV makeover show Home Town. When I got back, I said, 'All my friends are gone, deceasedwhat am I gonna do?' PDF FLOOD HISTORY OF MISSISSIPPI - National Weather Service There are many great schools, great shopping, great restaurants, and great bars in our area. Finally, Laurel has a high rate of gun violence. Greg Burroughs is the product of a system of privilege, corruption and power that has governed Laurel and Jones County for more than a century and we let it happen. Laurel was rated on a number of factors, including affordability, low taxes, and low crime rates. 77 within 3 miles. Laurel, Mississippi - City-Data ", "I was born and raised in Ellisville, about 15 minutes from here. Judi Holifield has served as the Laurel Main Street executive director since 2011. Head to The Loft for dinner, and sit in the garden if the weather is nice. There is one in 20 chance that you will be a victim of either violent or property crime here. The producers also advised, "We are looking for homes of all types, shapes, and sizes in Laurel and require that you have a renovation budget that fits the needs of your new home." Featured in . If you've ever wanted to make Laurel, Mississippi, your hometown here's your chance. Get your history fix in one place: sign up for the weekly TIME History newsletter. While daily property crimes in Laurel are 2.10 times more than than Mississippi and 2.25 times more than the national average. Here are just a handful of the locals who are living that mottoand bringing back this extraordinary yet ordinary town. Stock up on artisanal beef jerky and homemade fudge at The Knight Butcher. Its a really nice place to live, and the schools are good. He said, "The first time I met Erin was in the cafeteria at Jones County Community College," adding, "I was talking to a group of girls and they said, 'Wow, I love that girl's style.' Hes keeping a century-old business alive. This is where Erin takes the time to write about what she is grateful for in life. When making a decision about where to live, many people consider factors such as the cost of living, crime rate, and access to quality healthcare. In comparison to the Mississippi as a whole, the crime rate in Laurel is 89% higher. This yields a total of 380 sex offenders in Mississippi per 100,000 residents which is 43% greater than the national average. The Laurel Mercantile Co. team, from left: Ben & Erin Napier, Josh & Emily Nowell, Jim & Mallorie Rasberry. The High Crime Rate In Laurel Mississippi Crafty and Cozy! Tour Erin and Ben Napier's Mississippi Home By the 1990s, its downtown was mostly abandoned, with businesses shuttered and buildings crumbling. However, according to the most recent data from the FBIs Uniform Crime Reporting program, the city of Laurel, Mississippi had a total of 1,490 crimes in 2018. Crime in Laurel, Mississippi - 24/7 Wall St. That's my measure. We hope that you continue to enjoy our free content. I walked every street and yard. Its why the Burroughs family was allowed to clean up the crime scene. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. People are investing in their townnot to garner attention or elevate property values but simply to make Laurel better because this is where they want to stay and work and enjoy life. The area around Laurel, Mississippi, is extremely dangerous for tornadoes. We are a team of dedicated journalists and writers who strive to bring you the best news and stories from around the world. Not safe at all. ", And as for Ben, it was love at first sight. As reported by Country Living, the Napiers moved into Erin's dream house some time after marrying in 2008, restoring the 1925 house and creating a new home and story for themselves. The year over year crime rate per 100,000 people for Laurel is an accurate tool for tracking the rise and fall of crime, and in determining if living in Laurel has become safer or more dangerous. Have not been to the actual store, but have bought several items online. We used to have trucks that went out and sold door-to-door till about 1995. Most of our clientele were doctors' offices, real estate agents, and banks in Laurel. 2 Beds. Posted: Dec 16, 2019 / 08:54 PM CST. Maine leads the way in terms of violent crime per capita, which is one of the most important factors in our rankings and accounts for over twice as much as those of the other three states. He was born in the 11th century in Normandy, France, and was a descendant of the Viking ruler, The coronation of the British monarch is a ceremony in which the monarch of the United Kingdom is formally invested with regalia and crowned at Westminster Abbey. 18,000 local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. The rate of violent crime in Laurel is 1.96 per 1,000 residents during a standard year. Laurel is a quintessential small Southern town, and Erin and Ben are working to preserve the close-knit charm that defines their community. For the six of us, all in our twenties, it was like a game: How can we make downtown Laurel feel alive again? In order, If you want to go to jail without committing a crime, there are a few options available to you. And the beautiful mural on the side of a once-dilapidated building? Property The couple finds steals and deals when possible, but they also know when it's time to invest more in a project. When determining if Laurel, Mississippi is a safe place to live, we analyze factors including air quality, water quality, crime rates, natural disaster frequency, substance abuse rates, cancer . The Mississippi Highway Patrol responded to a fatal crash on Mississippi Highway 588 in Jones County on Wednesday afternoon. But we never intended for this to happen. Visiting Erin & Ben Napier's 1925 Craftsman in Laurel, Mississippi When we look at all cities across America, is Laurel safe? You can get a free quote for our partner Vivint by visiting them online. The B grade means the rate of violent crime is slightly lower than the average US city. The year over year data displayed in the graph shows that violent crimes have not changed in Laurel, while property crimes in Laurel have not changed. . Crime risk data are updated annually. The museum opened in 1923 as a memorial to a local man who died at age 23. She continued, "She reached out and asked if we'd ever thought about doing TV; she'd been stalking our Instagram for a while and was like, 'I'm in love with your town, with your relationship and I just wonder if you'd ever thought about a show.' Every time we would come home to see our family, we'd drive around and look at houses and land. Everything's been done. So it was really hard to even entertain the idea of doing something else, but I was in a high-pressure management job and beginning to deal with some ageism, kind of getting squeezed out. Here are five fun things you have to do if you find yourself in Erin and Ben's Southern stomping grounds.