St. Thomas Airport Shuttle Service. To see St. Thomas, expect a 32 square mile island loaded with activities from snorkeling to shopping. St. Thomas Roundtrip Transfer is an available pre-booked service that offers relaxed and capable transportation to your destination. > Click here to read the story on ExploreSTJ.com. So, when is that standard two hours necessary? First things first, start with your take-off time and then factor for whenever a particular airline stops boarding. WebThe first flights out in the morning are nowhere near as busy as those in the afternoon, and weekdays are less busy than weekends but the general recommendation right now is to be at the airport 3 hours before scheduled flight time. We recommend you arrive at the airport 3 hours before your scheduled departure, especially if youre checking bags. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. However, you definitely shouldnt arrive much later than the recommended time. Most music is crap. 3. St. Thomas Airport- New Updates and Early Arrivals. Perspective. Thank you! Plan accordingly. Most guests arrive on St Thomas landing at Cyril E. King airport on St Thomas. Want to start an argument? a record-breaking summer for air travel ahead, Here's a refresher on those basic economy plane tickets, hours before your flight; be in line at the airport security checkpoint two hours before your flight, be at the airport three hours before flight time for international departures and two hours for domestic flights, minimum check-in times range from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, Which is the best airline in the US? https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/stt-airport.jsp. Our recommended arrival times are meant to allow plenty of time to check in (with or without bags) and clear security before scheduled departure. For the most time savings, opt to take a ride share service to the airport, so you can be immediately dropped where you need to go. Forums. But then again, as science fiction wri ter Theodore Sturgeon once said, when asked why so much science fiction was garbage, 90% of everything is crap. Airport: Cyril E. King Airport Airport Code: STT Telephone: (340) 774-5100 Fax: (340) 774-5594 Website: www.viport.com Email: jnazario@viport.com Address: STT is located just outside Charlotte Amelie Airlines: St. Thomas flights come from all across the U.S. and many Caribbean islands. Updated: Europe Will Require ETIAS Approval for U.S. Is it peak holiday time? Allow for time to wait in line at the baggage counter, as well as time to check the bag. Aim for flights with take-offs either before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m. But, with the Fourth of July and St. John Carnival right around the corner, delays will be inevitable. What are considered as the rules for good beach etiquette? So its only really news when a great musician or band puts out a turgid stinker. I'd arrive at STT at least two hours before departure, even if you're planning to use the self-serve kiosks, and maybe even farther in advance if you need to wait in line. Have a child? Sometimes you need it. A very disorganized airport. Within the U.S. at least 2 hours. Domestic Flight No Checked Luggage: Check in at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure and be at gate at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Book our taxicab drivers to take you to the stores with the best bargains. What airports offer direct flights to St Thomas? Saves lots of time to walk up, get a porter, and have your forms ready. My husband and I are planning a vacation to the city next month. Here are some general times, but these can change due to traffic. For boarding passes or to check bags: 90 minutes prior to departure, Cyril E. King Airport In this case, the airports and the TSA are absolutely correct. You will need to be at the St Thomas Airport a full 2 hours before your flight. The forcast is for rain every day. Can you please chaperone a Humane Society shelter pet on your flight back home? St. Thomas does not offer standard taxi rides un-metered , but vans and open air types as well as SUVs are common. Saba Lou - She Is The Keeper Of My Soul 42. We know, we know. You dont want to be stuck in the airport at all! Ill be down late Sept. Will Asante still be in service? Some are made up of multiple buildings that arent even connected. I know you all have received this little memo and are not a huge fan of this suggested wait period at the airport. Travel is already stressful enough as it is (especially with children in tow). [7] On the other hand, you could make a wrong calculation in the other direction. How to Avoid Checked Luggage and 6 Reasons toNever CheckBaggage, Credit Cards with Best Delayed Baggage Insurance. Good mention about the food choices. Travelers can expect these planes to be Airbus A300s. So, if your flight takes off at 3 p.m. and your airline requires everyone to be boarded at least 15 minutes ahead of time, youre looking at 2:45 p.m. Are you checking baggage and will the airport be busy during this time of day/day of the week? It opened in June 1937 with much fanfare, including parades, an air show, and an aerial bombardment display by the 105th Aero Squadron, which was based at the field. We must recognise the distinction between truth and knowledge and the distinction between truth and falsity argues Timothy Williamson. In other words, larger airports just take more time, even if you do know exactly where youre going. WebThe first flights out in the morning are nowhere near as busy as those in the afternoon, and weekdays are less busy than weekends but the general recommendation right now is to Some airlines require you to be on the plane 10 minutes before your scheduled departure. You might just save yourself from missing your next flight. Delta Airlines Minimum Time When Checking Bags, 60 Minutes Prior to Scheduled Departure: New York (JFK); St. Croix (STX); St. Thomas (STT), 45 MinutesPrior to Scheduled Departure: Atlanta (ATL); Boston (BOS); Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW); Denver (DEN); Honolulu (HNL); Las Vegas (LAS); Los Angeles (LAX); New York (LGA); Newark (EWR); Orlando (MCO); Philadelphia (PHL); Reno (RNO); San Juan (SJU); Washington Dulles (IAD); Washington DC (DCA); Syracuse, 40 MinutesPrior to Scheduled Departure: Seattle (SEA), 30 Minutes Prior to Scheduled Departure: Cincinnatei (CVG); Fort Lauderdale (FLL); Miami (MIA). Shared Ride Van Search and book a shared ride van for enjoying the most popular beach at Magens Bay and enjoy the public park. The passenger terminal moved to the above location, Close to everything. St. Thomas, Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. AA requires you to be at the airport 3 hours in advance of scheduled departure unless you check in online in which case 90 minutes. There is considerable general aviation types of aircraft associated with this airport due to Ace Flight Center, an aviation school. You can use curbside check-in if you have an electronic ticket (can scan it from your phone). If you are a relatively new visitor to the St John, dont assume the 3-4 hour announcement is just some blah, blah, blah stuff. What music events are happening on St. Thomas and St. John? Were talking regional airports with only two or three gates. Cookie Policy - The TSA and airports want you to get there earlier, each for its own reasons. Helping them go through security, taking unanticipated bathroom breaks as needed it adds up to extra minutes you may not have. St. Thomas Tourism St. Thomas Hotels St. Thomas Bed and Breakfast St. Thomas Vacation Rentals St. Thomas Vacation Packages Flights to St. Thomas St. Thomas Restaurants Things to Do in St. Thomas St. Thomas Travel Forum St. Thomas Photos St. Thomas Map St. Thomas Travel Guide All St. Thomas Hotels; St. Thomas All rights reserved. One strange thing about the STT airport is you don't check your bag at the initial check in counter. Will the security lines be bad at that particular time of day? Within the U.S. at least 2 hours Outside the U.S. at least 3 hours Check if your destination has travel restrictions. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-108778897', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');St. Thomas airport at least 4 hours before our flight. Then you wont need as much time at the airport. Dont wait in lines that you dont have to wait in! Tess Parks - When I Am Young 44. AA.com. January 13, 2021: Friends trying to travel to Switzerland for a ski holiday are stopped at St Pancras. If you cannot find an airport in this chart, the Suggested Times at U.S. Airports apply. (1) We recommend customers arrive for international departures at least 90-120 minutes prior to departure. The simple answer is: Two hours for domestic flights, three hours for international flights. But while also not giving yourself so much time that you grow bored and blah? AA year-round mandates passengers be at the airport 3 hours in advance, all other airlines 2 hours. Arrive at the airport at least two hours before domestic flights and three hours before international flights. In my experience, the St. Thomas airport is one of the craziest I've flown out of (and have been there for many visits to St. John) and I'd definitely plan to get there at least 2 hours before the flight. Koolina Resort: 35-45 minutes. And, I will say, my early arrival at the airport for my flight last week kept me stress free and easy breezy as I leisurely made my way through customs and TSA and nestled in at the Hibiscus Caf in the company of an old friend that I happened upon in security. You do not have to worry for your return, our private SUVs has access to any point in the island. If you do not have a travel rewards credit card, our highest recommendation is the Chase Sapphire Reserve. The address of STT is No. . Tell your travel companion you won't be arriving two hours before your flight. Travel and health restrictions by destination If you have luggage to check, you may have to check in earlier, and there is a list of airports that are exceptions to the rule. Airports want you to take advantage of their incredible shopping and dining facilities, which you can't do if you're rushing to the gate. It may help to note the likely motives behind the advice. Has anyone flown recently and is 4 hours accurate? Thomas Pradier - Somewhere (West Side Story cover) 45. I would do 2 hours for sure if this week - crazy busy time of year for departures and you may get backed up in Customs and again at TSA. Remember technically, if you arrive at the airport at 3 p.m. for a 3:45 p.m. flight, you dont have 45 minutes. Click OK to log in and restart your reservation.Click Cancel to continue with your reservation without logging in. While youre all adults, adults in packs are just a little slower. You dont even want to be stuck watching all those downloaded shows you were saving for your red-eye. Fax: 951-655-3887. We have been coming for 29 years, The last ten we have rented from Amalie on STT. Were US citizens, not checking bags, already have boarding passes. How early will you need to wake up to make that early-morning flight (or even a mid-morning flight)? Onliest - Laser Beam (Low Cover) 49. A Daily St. John Blog & Island Tours By Jenn Manes. Whatever you do, be sure to check in online and either print your boarding pass or have it on your phone. Waikiki: 30 minutes. Douglas Jensen, an information technology consultant from Natick, Massachusetts, is a top-level elite frequent flier with 45 years of air travel experience. If, though, youre traveling with children, especially more than one child or a child thats elementary-age or younger, youll need more time. We have been 10 times and always leave earlier than later. Site may not meet accessibility guidelines. He sticks to the airline advice of two hours for international flights and 90 minutes for domestic flights. Youll want to factor in the time that it takes for you to park at the airport, pay for your parking (if youre pre-paying) and then walk or take a shuttle from the lot to the airport entrance. Verify to immediately update business information, respond to reviews, and more! Although this is technically an internal flight, do we need to allow extra time for security, or would the standard one hour suffice? Then you end up sitting in the airport for hours. Never mind the overpriced airport food, the tacky duty-free shops your local airport wants you to frequent, or the pat-down the TSA agents hope you'll endure. Do not go to airport at 8PM for your 11PM delayed flight like we did. Drinks may be involved. For check-in: 180 minutes (3 hours) prior to departure For instance, American Airlines advises passengers to be at the airport three hours before flight time for international departures and two hours for domestic flights. I can unsubscribe any time using the unsubscribe link at the end of all emails. This location does not accept cash or checks. An insiders guide of the luxury yet laid back island of Barbados. You will show up at a totally closed entrance to the airport, even though you showed up 3 hours before your flight! Traveling with a friend, colleague, or partner? If you are traveling on a Saturday, I would arrive as close to three hours as possible, especially if you are checking a bag. ), "The two-hour recommendation is fairly standard across the industry," says Heather Lissner, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport spokesperson. (I forgot what it was, I think it was asking about purchases.) The Future of Caneel Bay Resort is Down to Two Options All or Nothing. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Exceptions Minimum Check-In Times by Airport AIRPORT DOMESTIC W/OUT CHECKED BAGS ON INTL-BOUND FLIGHT Allentown, PA (ABE) 45 minutes 1 hour Atlanta, GA (ATL) 30 minutes 1 hour Aspen, CO (ASE) 45 minutes 1 hour Baltimore, MD (BWI) 30 minutes 1 hour 34 more rows Of particular note is that Alaska requires checked in passengers to be at the gate with valid boarding pass ready for boarding at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure: Being late may cause the cancellation of your reserved seats and/or your entire reservation.. 00802, Airport website opens external site in a new window. It is a pain, especially if it is really hot! If you find yourself frequently running late for flights, you want to check into what clearances like these can do for you. If When youre traveling within the United States, we make the suggestion to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure. Thank you. Flightradar24 is the worlds most popular flight tracker. 2023 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, LLC. , BASIC ECONOMY:Here's a refresher on those basic economy plane tickets. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The regional airports where you have to walk out onto the tarmac to get onto the plane. WebInformation About the Airport in St. Thomas. As with so many things in travel, there's a simple answer and a complicated one. If you are flying American and checking bags, you probably dont need to wait in line for an agent. I also want to not glaze over this incredible duty free shop! Also be sure to check the minimum check-in times with and without luggage if you're flying a partner airline, for example on an Asiana flight with United MileagePlus miles or on a Qantas flight with AAdvantage miles, since the carrier operating your flight determines when you have to have checked in prior to your scheduled departure time. If your flight gets delayed past 6:00PM remember that Customs closes at 6PM regardless. We'll redirect you to the home page of the country / region site you choose. If you want to cut things down to the bare minimum, you can try arriving two hours ahead of your flight, but dont expect a leisurely, relaxing experience. But this is only a viable option if youre traveling alone or with one or two other capable adults (kids always make the airport process take longer), as well as if youre traveling out of a small airport that youre very familiar with. Also, they factor in the time it takes to find parking. News of St. John Villa Rentals Has Launched. An Online Blog About the Daily Happenings of St. John, USVI. WebRunway 14/32, Logan's first major runway addition in more than forty years, opened on November 23, 2006. Recent statistics state that the airport supports close to 180 planes per day, with half being of the air taxi type. Head past the nice dancers greeting you towards the baggage claim, this is a great opportunity for you to get a free shot of Cruzan Rum (produced in St. in 2 reviews, Everyone needs to get off their high horse, why not work a little hard burn a few calories than complain and not have everything handed to you on a gold platter! in 2 reviews, Great little airport; friendliest personnel I've seen in any of the (state) airports. in 3 reviews, 70 Lindbergh Bay St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 00803. Know your airport inside and out? WebSt. [13] The airport was formally inaugurated on September 10, 1960, by the Minister of Transport, George Hees. Note that it varies: Alaska advises passengers checking bags to arrive at the airport 2 hours before scheduled departure, and passengers without checked luggage to arrive 90 minutes before scheduled departure. WebSt. Her favorite travel destinations include Chicago and New Orleans. Thomas Cyril E. King Airport, (STT/TIST), Virgin Islands, Us - View live flight arrival and departure information, live flight delays and cancelations, and current weather conditions at the airport. Joe Reimers, a sales engineer from South Bend, Indiana, describes himself as a "conservative" traveler, especially when he's checking a bag. A personal guide to the Caribbean Island of Barbados by Children's Author Helen Burns. Has anyone else been completely dissatisfied by this dump? The top factor that will impact how early you should arrive at the airport? When it comes to international flights, the rule of thumb is to arrive at the airport about three hours ahead of take-off. St. Thomas, Busiest Caribbean Airport. Look out for our newsletters with travel tips and special offers. June 21, 2022 by Hillary Bonner. If you enjoyed this, join 200,000+ readers: pleasefollow TravelSort on Twitterorlike us on Facebookto be alerted to new posts. Make your travel day to the airport an event instead of a dreaded occurrence. Is four wheel drive needed in St. Thomas and should I buy the extra insurance? Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. You dont know if they know, or know and dont care, or if they are However, its not at all uncommon to arrive at an airport for an international flight as much as four hours ahead of take-off. Marriott Frenchman's Reef All Inclusive vs Non, Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, A Marriott Vacation Club Resort, The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, at Frenchman's Reef. Airports arent exactly known for their user-friendliness. I shoot for two hours. If you have carry-on luggage and no checked bag, you could be in the clear at 40 minutes. You can find deals from $80 if you book far enough in advance. Best Western Plus Emerald Beach Resort is closest to the airport and holds a 3 star rating. You might just need a few minutes to look at a map and figure out where your gate is located. St Somewhere on Picara Point is 20 minute drive by car from the airport and boasts a 5-star rating. WebAA requires you to be at the airport 3 hours in advance of scheduled departure unless you check in online in which case 90 minutes. Tony Njoku - Sparks (Coldplay weird rework) 48. Good Luck! Plus, if you're a frequent flyer or flying business or first class or otherwise have airport lounge access, it's not such a bad thing to have extra time in the lounge to get work done or catch up on emails before your flight. If youre flying with small children, out of a large airport, with baggage, just go ahead and be safe and give yourself that two hours. Do Not Sell My Personal Information -, Fodor's may use your email address to send you relevant information on site updates, account changes, and offers. WebDocumentation for Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Croix. Make the wrong calculation and youll end up missing your flight. Site may not meet accessibility guidelines. Archive - Having said that, we leave on the ferry that is 3 hours before our flight. Other times, you simply go hangout in the new bar that opened up last year. From there, its a few more steps to your gate. The notice was instigated by a technical difficulty occurring on Sunday with one of the TSA screening machines. Before you just take a random guess at how early or late you should arrive at the airport, consider every element that could impact your experience. You might be able to give yourself a half an hour back if the airport isnt crowded, or if youre not traveling at a large airport, or if you dont have to park off-site. But what very few tell you is that before the snow, ice and subzero temperatures arrive, there is a sustained period of early winter when this region makes the UK look bright, dry and cheery Downtown Honolulu: 15-20 minutes. You will need to plan ahead to get to and from the Honolulu airport in the right amount of time. time to airport is minimum 30 mins & could easily run an hour or more depending on time of day/traffic. Both are scenic. WebOur recommended arrival times are meant to allow plenty of time to check in (with or without bags) and clear security before scheduled departure. more. One incredibly easy way to save time at the airport? For most airports, you must be checked United advises passengers to be at the airport at least 2 hours before scheduled departure for international flights, at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure for domestic flights if you're checking luggage, and at least 60 minutes before departure for domestic flights if you have no checked baggage. This ruling has been in effect for a few years. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-108796666', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');flight was at 5:45pm. Try online check-in or enroll in programs like TSA PreCheck to avoid long check-in and security lines. You can reserve a hotel in St. Thomas or you can make discount airport transportation reservations. Its nice to be updated on all the happenings on St. John. Have you walked this path more times than you can count? The extra hour gives you enough time to go through the lengthier check-in process, as well as immigration and passport control if needed. Amazon Affiliate Disclosure: Jones-Dengler Marketing, LLC via The Vacationer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. No, this isn't a frivolous, first-world problem. WebRenting a car in St Thomas is your best option when deciding how to get around. "We recommend the two hours so that travelers have enough time to get dropped off or park their cars, check their bags and get through security to their gates. Arriving at the Airport for an International Flight, Other Things That Might Impact How Much Time You Need. Book this private ground transportation when going for a picnic with your family at Brewers Bay known for its shallow waters. Click here to read the story on ExploreSTJ.com. Somehow, once you've completed the long wait to check into your flight, they manage to get you through the rest of the process (up to security) relatively quickly. Domestic Flight With or Without Checked Luggage: Check in at least 40 minutes before scheduled departure EXCEPT 45 minutes before scheduled departure at Atlanta (ATL), Denver (DEN), Las Vegas (LAS) and Philadelphia (PHL) and 60 minutes before scheduled departure for King Salmon and Dillingham between June 1 and August 31. International Flight With or Without Checked Luggage: Check in at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure EXCEPT 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure at Guadalajara (GDL). Best and Worst Days to Fly for the Holidays, what ID and documents your child needs to fly, Tips to Reduce Air Travel Stress & Better Your Flying Experience. I was grateful to be ahead of the rush at TSA and chilling with my dear friend as we waited together for our flights for two hours. With a record-breaking summer for air travel ahead, it's time to settle the airport arrival time question. St. Thomas Tourism St. Thomas Hotels St. Thomas Bed and Breakfast St. Thomas Vacation Rentals St. Thomas Vacation Packages Flights to St. Thomas St. Thomas Restaurants Things to Do in St. Thomas St. Thomas Travel Forum St. Thomas Photos St. Thomas Map St. Thomas Travel Guide All St. Thomas Hotels; St. Thomas And, I was grateful to not be the stressed out mother who was trying to jump the line for her flight that she and her kids were running late for as I was in the security line. Goa. Marriages have ended. It Please enable JavaScript to fully experience this site. It is not an efficiently run airport, and you will indeed need to clear U.S. Customs. Her work appears in publications ranging from Global Traveler to Golf Magazine, Mashed to Forbes, and Bloomberg. And during busy holiday periods or special events, the airport may recommend adding even more time. What will the weather be like for our trip? Read our Tips to Reduce Air Travel Stress & Better Your Flying Experience. As of April 2022, please have your mask on when Loose Articles - Eggshells 46. However, if you want an SUV, plan to spend anywhere from $150-$230/day. this was my first time seeing it and, although I love the regular airport bar, I wont make the mistake of opting for that one over this new one for my pre-flight libations again! st john ferry to red hook is 20 mins.