I don't care how bad you want it. Here's the difference. That's what I was feeling. March 18 to 19: Naval Air Station Point Mugu, California. Then the environment, I think what's critical about flow states is the higher you challenge yourself, you increase the environment, and you guys have to tell me if this is true in climbing, but it isn't flying, is one of two things are going to happen. That gives me way more joy than the actual climbing or the flying. It can mean so many different things depending on who you ask and what day of the week it is. Because that's where I'm going to make a mistake, right? John Foley:You learn first off, your emergency procedures, you practice on simulators. You have to move on in some way at some point. Jeff:I know. I could read up on it. Here's what's interesting. The Blue Angels must be closely aligned in thought and action in order to accomplish their mission. John Foley:Yeah. The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement. Because there's a lot of pressure out there not to make a mistake. You're reacting based on your training. Design, CMS, Hosting & Web Development :: ePublishing, This website requires certain cookies to work and uses other cookies to help you have the best experience. John Foley:Once you learn how to do it, it's easy. They have a mindset, culture and processes that make high performance not only possible but predictable, repeatable, and transferable to any team that aspires to greatness. We're all playing our guitar. I don't think I ever said to my colleague, I love you, on the Blue Angels, but they knew it. The way I do that is I just say, when my eyes open up, the first conscious thought that hits my head, I just go, what am I grateful for? Didrik Johnck:Didrik Johnck here, producer of the No Barriers Podcast. Number one, Alabama, Nick Saban, that program is probably one of the strongest programs I've ever seen. It's something that defines who you are and your impact in the world. - John Foley, Blue Angels. That's a start. By visiting Erik Weihenmayer:Sure. That's, I feel for me, has been the most luckiest part of my life that I've been able to somehow connect with great people who have helped me on the fast track. John Foley:I mean, that's what saying. Even the, if you've ever seen a briefing of the Blue Angels, the boss's tone of his voice is exactly what we're going to experience together. It's about sharing it with others so that their dreams can come true. All Rights Reserved. I've been doing trauma for a long time. Because now that you're not flying, aren't there some activities you're like, I suck at this? John Foley:It wasn't about calling out somebody yet. The Blue Angels travel at speeds between 120 mph and 700 mph. Glad To Be Here is a mindset that enables higher performance. Right. Not that I'm telling you, you're not good enough. Every nine seconds, so you know when it's fast, when telephone poles go by so quick, it's like you're in a car going a hundred miles an hour looking down at the white dotted line, you've ever done that? And not only being with you, but having a chance to connect with your dad at a heart level, that was very powerful. My big change came from leaving the Navy. It was really awesome. There's a lot of good in that person, in this situation. Jeff:That's three times in a row, three misses on the same John Foley:Yeah. Play Audio. Yeah. It allows you to sort of get You're a flow guy, right? Sorry. There's a lot of emotion in there. Upon returning from the Persian Gulf, Foley transferred to Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 101 (VMFAT-101) based in El Toro, California, where he served as an F/A-18 Hornet flight instructor pilot and landing signal officer. So Nick Saban and Alabama brought me in a few years ago. Yeah, they're two points favorites, but here, this is the cross section of everything we've really talked about, which is you can line up the best pilots in the world. This boat is moving up and down. He retired from active duty after 27 years of distinguished service and joined Check-6, a global leader in optimized performance and safety solutions serving the most demanding industries, where he directed business development and corporate strategy for the North American Division. For nearly 20 years, I was a commander in the US Navy and became Lead Solo Pilot for the Blue Angels. Why am I doing something, and why does it matter? It's how you feel. I think about the aging process a lot now, because I'm all aging, but you don't think about that when you're in your 20s and 30s. I'm not good enough. Maybe he didn't understand he was out of parameter, right? These are two of the best programs and that's why they're in the finals. You can't necessarily hack it from somebody else. The Refrigerated Foods Association (RFA) is excited to announce the keynote speaker for their 41st Annual Conference & Exhibition in February, 2022: John Foley. I still remember this to this day as we're talking, I can visualize it. It didn't mean I didn't get sidetracked into, hey, I want to play professional football or something like that. Erik Weihenmayer:Jeff, Imma slap you on the back. I think what you're describing, because I felt that so many times too, is the result of the focus. Bottomline is, we fly jets off aircraft carriers. Do we have the right setup? John Foley:I think that's important in anything we're learning. During 1992 season, the Blue Angels traveled to Europe for the first time since 1973 to perform 16 air shows in 8 different countries including Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, England, Spain, Italy, Finland and Sweden. I'm appreciative to have this opportunity in my life, to do things that most people don't get a chance to do, but more importantly, to benefit others. It was during his tour with VMFAT-101 that Foley submitted an application and pursued a position with the Blue Angels that was almost derailed when he accidentally deployed live ordinance from his aircraft on a training exercise. John Foley:What I realized with all science that's out there on gratitude and appreciation is just how powerful that mindset is for performance, how you can actually increase performance with this mindset. Lt. Amanda Lee has made history as the first woman to serve as a demonstration pilot in the Blue Angels. To me, those can be fear based, they can hold you back, as compared to just saying, I'm going to try this, I'm going to be smart about it, but I'm going to try it. John Foley:It's exactly that, but it's not just the coffee, right? It was an emotional click that said, I'm going to do that now. I was so inspired from his . My hope is that those four words will have a deeper and richer meaning to everyone who reads this article. An 18 year journey that began after a visit to an airshow as a young boy peaked when he was selected to join elite Blue Angels squadron. You're you're in that focused state. Let's say something challenges you, and it's a challenge. You surprised me in so many different ways, but I wouldn't imagine that glad to be here, other than just the realization like, holy, man, I lived through some things. Both of you have been my heroes too. Vintage James Kent LTD | Old Foley . If I'm complacent, that's what I got to worry about. Jeff:All right. You're just trying to survive the airplane. I mean, you got this jet, it's coming in about 145 miles per hour. John Foley:Well, now here's the challenge I have. 2016 Glad To Be Here. Well, absolutely. Foley has served as an adviser to Fortune 500 corporations, professional athletic teams, venture capital companies, professional associations and educational organizations and successfully connects the high intensity of the Blue Angles with your organization. In the briefing room, you're going through their procedures, very scripted. Gone. Now, it's also, that's the power of being naive too, is that I had no idea what it was going to take. Special thanks to The Dan Ryan Band for our intro song, Guidance. Jeff:See, that's the PhD level of what we're talking about right there. See, that's why this is what's Great. Then you start dog fighting. So, let's do it. There's a lot of opportunity here. John Foley:All of a sudden, telephone poles are going by quickly. If I actually got out parameters and I recognized it, and I did the right procedure, not a safety. The Navy's really good about debriefs, and the LSO, landing signal officer, walked in that day and he goes, it was very clear, he goes, Gucci, Gucci's my call sign. Jeff:The difference though is 10,000 hours. What separates the best of the best and makes for elite teams? Local officials had. We're constantly in a state of mentoring each other and we're in a constant state of basically up and out. You're not having debriefs where you say like, "Okay, let's talk about our feelings and sing kumbaya.". Employee Commitment That's called reactionary. If I'm complacent, that's what I got to worry about. I was actually told this that we have 65 frames a second. But then, here's what I've noticed, JB, try this for me, try this tomorrow morning, then go back 24 hours and think about something that happened yesterday, or in this case, that happened today, because you're doing this tomorrow. I appreciate you, my friend. I know Erik, you don't always see this, okay. I'll do stuff that keeps the adrenaline going, but I'm doing it for fun. I know I need to execute on this command. John Foley:It's a double edged sword. 10 Frame Work and 10 Dynamics of Debrief Wallet Cards. Vintage Pair of Old Foley James Kent White Plate with Red Floral and Bird Pattern 10 Inch Plates. Now I'm understanding. There are few examples where this is more dramatically demonstrated than with the Blue Angels. You get better and you move on and you share that information with somebody else. I'm scared all the time. Team Oneness James kent/Old Foley rare vase blue and guildid all over Chinese scene 9.00 1 bid 6.45 postage 1d 13h James Kent old foley jug 6.99 Click & Collect 2.75 postage or Best Offer Vintage James Kent 'Pompadour' china Set 4.00 1 bid 5.20 postage 2d 11h Vintage James Kent Dubarry Chintz Fluted Floral Bowl 15.00 Free postage or Best Offer The point is, I want to know just your general feeling. $ 21.95. Sir John Foley (British Army officer) (born 1939), former Chief of Defence Intelligence and Lieutenant-Governor of Guernsey John D. Foley (1918-1999), American bomber gunner in World War II John H. Foley (1839-1874), American soldier and Medal of Honor recipient John Foley (major) (1813-1881), Irish-born soldier and merchant Religion [ edit] I had that. Our first conversation of this new year is with a former Navy jet pilot, an 18 year journey that began after a visit to an air show as a young boy, piqued when he was selected to join the Elite Blue Angels Squadron. We brief every Monday mornings on the week and stuff. The idea is you got to work way up to it. You've really tapped into it, and I think this is good news for everybody, right? They believe you become part of this team. Go join the Air Force. I do that through meditation in the mornings. Jeff:All right. I just don't need to do it at the level I used to. I'm in Sun Valley. I think we're getting to the essence again, of what we do and why we do it. By visiting this website, certain cookies have already been set, which you may delete and block. All right. John Foley:Because you got some off Georgia defensive lineman who got their butt handed to them. You're a pocket flow guy. Keep going. You're just to land the jet, and then, it's a definitely step by step approach and lots of hours go into it. I flew at 500 miles per hour in formations nearly 18" | 18 comments on LinkedIn Jeff:Number one question would be, were you the one who said it's time to step away from the teams, or did they say, we need some new blood in here? These fundamentals are incredibly important because that's what we all learn from, we got to have a process, but I think the difference when you're talking to somebody who's actually done it and done it at a high level. You feel yourself start to constrict, and your mind starts to get into this flight or fight mode, which is what we're trained to do. Disappointed with the assignment at the time, Foley now reflects that the three years he spent flying the A-7 were critical in his development as a Navy pilot. I got goosebumps because yeah, it's no longer about me. I initially tried to do drums, and I was just talking about this, and that is, I wonder why. I didn't say that day, I hope to do that. And then the work goes in and you start to realize that yo won't know unless you go, you won't know unless you tried. A practical model for living out his message that works in other organizations as well as within the Blue Angels. John Foley:No, I love it. We all know the science behind appreciation and gratitude, how it changes the way your brain thinks, the neurons fire and all that. Then I actually went to another challenging field, which was flying jets off aircraft carriers in a leadership role again. The Blue Angels is a flight demonstration squadron of the United States Navy. What it really meant at that moment was I'm really appreciative to be part of a team like this. "Blue Angels are Navy fighter pilots. Oh, it would be kind of cool to do that. This fosters gratitude and new perspectives to recognize opportunities versus simply focusing on challenges. John Foley:A couple of things. John Foley:That's basically what he was saying. He shows how a culture of thankfulness engages employees on an intellectual and emotional level to create deeper commitment and raise levels of performance. Now I get scared. What it does is, let's take it as a personal situation. Climbing, flying jets, that's not hard. There's a lot of crowds trying to get in there, the parking. You've ascended to this high level, the highest level. During a typical performance, there are six jets in the air. Every organization depends upon the performance of their people and their teams. The fifth and sixth jet fly in solo formation. It's like the Blue Angels. "Glad to be here isn't something you simply say. What happened after that? And time actually did slow down. John Foley -Blue Angel. To me, the easiest ones or relationships, whether they're personal or not. Erik Weihenmayer:It's easy to talk about the successes, but what doesn't get talked about enough is the struggle. Each year the team typically selects three tactical (fighter or fighter/attack) jet pilots, two support officers and one Marine. That means you're not in position. By the way, I don't know if you guys have built any yet, but we're starting to build a digital course, so I'm glad to be here in gratitude. I was supposed to deploy on the midway, which was a four deployed carrier. John Foley was a solo pilot for the Blue Angels aerobatic formation, a Sloan Fellow at the Stanford School of Business, a Gratitude Guru, and an expert on "how to" in high performing teams. Then, what can I find that I can appreciate at that moment? You do, in a way, you have to, I don't know, maybe you have to suspend the gushy parts because you've done all that hard work. I never met him, but he was a huge mentor. I'm not a pilot anymore. The first four jets fly in a diamond formation. Right? How did he get there? Yeah. I mean, athletes don't know that. This fosters gratitude and new perspectives to recognize opportunities versus simply focusing on challenges. John Foley:Oh, I like what you're saying, Jeff. This goes quick. If you do not agree to the use of cookies, you should not navigate I know why it works and that allows you to do the how. And I love it. I feel, like my kid's 16, and he's a pretty high level athlete now. You give, then you learn, and you grow. I've recreated my whole career two decades ago. I really do. To answer your question, from the ground, we've had spectators, they go, "Looks like you guys aren't even moving." Learning, and I was helping him in any way, shape I could, but that exposure, I probably got 10 years of knowledge in six months based on having that. Jeff:My cousin wouldn't want to fight you for that one. John Foley Keynote Speaker to over 1500 Organizations Worldwide, Blue Angel Lead Solo Pilot, Stanford Fellow, Bestselling Author and 'Gratitude Guru' Request Speaker Marketing Toolkit Fee Range $30,001 - $50,000 * * This specific fee falls within this range. It's not a long diatribe, right? In the SEC. John Foley:But what's interesting is that if you expand that time out, because in between each maneuver, we have communication. You have to be What's crazy is though I practiced and practiced and practiced and know these songs, it's just, when I get in front of the group, it's when everything sort of falls apart, I forget what I'm supposed to do. And you just go, okay, I'm in the zone. What's hard is to be aware of the situation. The eye can't see that, but as you're learning, you're moving a lot. So, I was thinking of the bigger picture of the flying. Through their interdependence as a team, members are also challenged and stimulated to achieve higher levels of individual performance. Jeff:What's the Gucci over under tonight? John Foley:Thumper and I, two opposing solos. Just what we're doing right here. I know there's difficulty and I'm aware of it. 0:00. What I think the key is, is can you call that up on demand? How do you sprinkle some Blue Angel pixie dust on top of the way that you present that pocket that we're all trying to find? I know you do and facilitate, you do personally, but also facilitate a lot of breathwork and meditation with clients, and you do it yourself. Erik Weihenmayer:Yeah, so what Analyze me here. You finally get to the air show, and you can feel it. Well, both. I'm not sure if most people can get their heads around what that looks like. Based on his Blue Angels experience, John truly understands the how of high performing teams and he readily applies his knowledge to his keynotes and his consulting practice. Then the same thing in fear, let's use business as an example is, am I going to start my new digital course? John Foley is a former lead solo pilot of the Blue Angels, Sloan Fellow at Stanford's Graduate School of Business, entrepreneur, venture capitalist, leadership expert, speaker and Gratitude Guru. How exactly did guest John Foley become a Blue Angel and what was his motivation? You know it, every kid does it better than us. Erik Weihenmayer:And does that lead sometimes to reaching out to a friend or something like that, somebody who you know is hurting or struggling or just needs you? In 1997 he started working at Citysearch, an online city guide later bought by Ticketmaster. What I've learned is, it's like two sides of the same coin, operational excellence, process, briefs, debriefs, preparation, focus, trust, and then you add in this glad to be here mindset. John Foley:Yeah. That's a fact. High Performance Climb Otherwise, it's over.". Erik Weihenmayer:John, backing up, one thing I kind of missed in my thought process talking to you was, you were on that track to be a Blue Angel, and you talked about your dad who was an officer. As a Blue Angel, John consistently performed in an extreme, high-stakes environment, flying at speeds of more than 500 miles per hour in formations as close as 18 inches apart. You're flying small prop planes. Those are much more take the who out of it, be very of what happened, where were the decision points? She joins hundreds of other women who have served with the Blue Angels . Before we flew, we briefed, and after we flew, we debriefed, and that's a whole different emotional and intellectual episode than the actual physical. The importance of teams being in sync is a concept that John Foley understands profoundly. I also ran into, in the speaking world, it was so funny, Erik, I went to an event and they were talking about this power of visualization. He drives home his message with dynamic videos of his adrenaline-pumping performance with the Blue Angels. In his dynamic presentations, Foley addresses the essential elements of exceptional team performance and makes them relevant, simple, and immediately actionable. Here are the suggestions we received and where we donated (click through to view) . That stuff completely leaves your mind and you're right into the task. I think if you were to ask Erik and I, when we were 15 years old, do you want to ascend to the highest climbing level and climb Everest? Anyway, got talked into doing recitals, and it is so funny because I get so freaking nervous in front of a group of 50 parents, and I'm surrounded by like sixth graders. He did a couple tours in Vietnam. Ending Tuesday at 3:15PM PST 1d 19h. John Foley:But yeah, so that's for sure. John Foley:Yeah, you got it. I could sense the space between my heartbeats. Glad To Be Hereoffers apurpose greater than self, which galvanizes people and focuses individuals and teams on WHY they do what they do. There must be a lot of things like that, that you've really tried to take with you from being a Blue Angel. The Blue Angel: Directed by Edward Dmytryk. He says, "You know those orders to the midway? I have to come up on the radio, and I got to say six is clear. Maybe we as humans sort of divide those. It's not happening. The Blue Angels, I'm going to talk to you about debrief, how we did it on the Blues, it's slightly different than how I did it on my fighter squadrons or how they do it in Top Gun. And then you're going to be the best of the best. Foley would enjoy a three year tenure with the Blue Angels that would see him progress from the teams narrator to a position in the demonstration as a solo pilot. The departure of Foley, who led the company since its. I started to emotionally well up a little bit. I'll get back there, if I'm still alive, I'll sign some autographs. It's just so hard and so intense. Print page When you call them out, because you did all that front load work of, I really care about you, you're my colleague and I love you, how do you do that effectively when you call someone you out and say, "You screwed up," but without doing it in a threatening way? John Foley:And you learn from them. Even if it's the transcendent meditative place, but that's the pocket, right? Jeff:Yeah. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands . I remember being at that air show that day. 605 SOUTH COLLEGE AVENUE, SUITE 101, FORT COLLINS, CO 80524. Erik Weihenmayer:Now, you can't do that when you're a Blue Angel. And can I share that knowledge now? They're going to be off. It exists. As a Blue Angel, Foley consistently performed in an extreme, high-stakes environment, flying at speeds of more than 500 miles per hour in formations as close as 18 inches apart. So, here's the Gucci feel. John Foley:Well, guys, I want to say the honor's mine, and the thanks are for you. For my life, very quickly, is on the teams, on the Blue Angels, you go into that assignment knowing exactly how long you're going to be there. How do you increase that sense of focus? Business people, we don't necessarily know. I got this meeting after this. So, you get to see us closing our eyes. He received his commission as an Officer in 1997. I think you just hit on it. Jeff:Yeah. When I snap my fingers, 65 frames hit your eyeballs. Don't you wish you would've had that back when you were doing all these crazy maneuvers. Is that part of the process of being focused? You have to be focused, but if your heart isn't in it, if you're not doing it for what I call a purpose larger than self, then it's not the same. Nobody would know that you screwed up.". Then the other thing you got a chance to do, and this is very unique with the Blue Angels, is you got to admit your own mistakes first.