Its a bit more concerning and is quickly disenchanting shooters that are battling the issue. A licensed Montana Professional Outfitter and Guide freelance writer, his articles and photographs have been featured in magazines including Outdoor Life, American Hunter, American Rifleman, Field and Stream. After starting a life and career in Tulsa, she pursued barrel racing until she found 3-Gun in 2009. The G1 BC of this bullet is .563, which is slightly higher than that of Hornadys 6.5mm 130-grain ELD Match bullet used in the 6.5 Creedmoor. An avid shooter and outdoorsman, George takes pride in the quality custom rifles that G.A. Speer load data in .224 Valkyrie. Facing off in a handgun challenge featuring the smallest professional-grade enclosed red dot sight on the market, Eric and Tom put the Acro P-2 to the distance test by doing a walk-back challenge. Through shooting, Zach has met many people in the shooting community. It metered smoothly and produced very low standard deviations (SD). * All prices incl. Meet the all-new Taurus Judge Executive Grade, a revolver featuring a hand-polished satin finish, presentation-grade wood grips, a brass rod front sight and an exceptional hand-tuned trigger. The game hooked me, but I fell in love with the people! Since returning to competition on 2009, Dianna has earned a plethora of High Lady wins, including the 2013 and 2016 USPSA Ladies Open National Championship. Precision is making and looks forward to the future of creating the best professional custom rifles on the market. The new big bore pistols feature industry-first capacity, with a standard 15-round capacity and 22+1 rounds of 10mm or 18+1 rounds of .45 ACP from the extended magazines. The new 9mm suppressor can mount easily to any pistol barrel threaded x28 inches and doesn't compromise on sound suppression, gas blowback or recoil. Even though the 224 Valkyrie is hot off the press, excellent cases are already available from Federal and Starline. She helps organize and coordinate Arizonas own national level event, the Tactical Precision Rifle Challenge. The barrel used in testing was 24-inches in length with a SAAMI spec chamber. In essence, the extractor heaves back on the case rim whilst the case walls are still firmly gripping the chamber walls. For long-range work, bullets from the Sierra MatchKing line worked well with CFE 223, LEVERevolution, and IMR 8208 XBR. Manufacturer. #16. We are engineers, reloading enthusiasts and operate one of the most powerful ballistics calculators. Not only does the .224 Valkyrie fit comfortably in a sleek, standard-size AR-15, it was alleged to push super-aerodynamic, 90-grain Sierra MatchKing projectiles so effectively that they would remain supersonic all the way to 1,300 yards (in standardized, sea-level atmospheric conditions), making the .224 Valkyrie a legitimate three-quarter-mile cartridge from a 24-inch barrel. Soon, Zach was shooting skeet and fell in love with the sport. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester and Goex brands. As an aside, this is one potential down side to the .224 Valkyrie: Light bullets have to jump a considerable distance before engaging the rifling. Meet the all-new Taurus Judge Executive Grade, a revolver featuring a hand-polished satin finish, presentation-grade wood grips, a brass rod front sight and an exceptional hand-tuned trigger. While new load data will continue to be updated, there is currently data for 80 different loads with bullet weights ranging from 50 to 90 grains. His proven expertise in firearm manipulation and shooting techniques has enhanced the skills of countless individuals and agencies. #1. Working and enjoying the outdoors were just a normal part of day to day life. Posted: 3/5/2011 9:01:26 AM EST [#6] Smart guy, that's one . IMR 4166, IMR 4451, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, Superformance, and LEVERevolution shot okay but lagged in the accuracy department. 224 Valkyrie load data [Re: yoteblaster] erikc838 Die Hard Member II Registered: 05/04/13 Posts: 1401 Loc: Las Cruces, NM 8208 and RL17 _____ Erik Top #3153202 - . This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. 224 Valkyrie Web Data 1.21.21.xlsx Author: carterc1 Created Date: 1/21/2021 3:04:40 PM . I was intrigued with 3-Gun since, as a police officer, I relied on all three platforms at work. Velocities were measured with an Oehler Model 35P chronograph. Caliber: .224 Valkyrie. So that leaves the decision on hunting with a .22 up to the individual hunter, depending on the size of the quarry and the bullet chosen. If predators are your primary focus, I really like Noslers 50-grain Ballistic Tip. Federal advertises the load at 2900 feet/second. New Starline brass and Federal Premium GM205MAR AR-Match Small Rifle primers were used throughout. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. It typically provides top-shelf velocities and excellent accuracy across a vast span of bullet weights. Phillip is also well known as a nationally ranked precision rifle competitor in the Precision Rifle Series and National Rifle League circuits. The .224 Valkyrie (5.641 mm) [5] cartridge is a .22 caliber (5.6 mm) rimless bottlenecked intermediate rifle cartridge, developed by Federal Premium Ammunition to rival the performance of the .22 Nosler, while still being compatible with modern sporting rifles (MSRs). .224 Valkyrie - Published Manufacturer Loading Data Shellholders: Hornady #12 Lee #21 RCBS #19 Recipe Type: Rifle Bullet Weight: ALL 50 gr 53 gr 55 gr 60 gr 62 gr 65 gr 69 gr 70 gr 72 gr 75 gr 77 gr 78 gr 80 gr 82 gr 85 gr 85.5 gr 88 gr 90 gr Powder: ALL Accurate 2015 Accurate 2460 Accurate 2495 Accurate 2520 Accurate 2700 Accurate 4064 models. The name Valkyrie comes from Norse mythology and literally means chooser of the slain. Valkyries were maidens who served the god Odin in his rule over Asgard. Hodgdon Powder Company has announced the launch of reloading data for the new .224 Valkyrie, now available on the company's Reloading Data Center website. The four hunting bullets I tested were fast enough and accurate enough to justify their use on smaller big game; just remember to seat them short, as previously noted. The 224 Valkyries case provides plenty of capacity, and an ultra-fast 1:7-inch barrel twist rate allows the Valkyrie to push long, heavy-for-caliber bullets to velocities that remain supersonic to 1,300 yards and beyond. Designed to rival the .22 Nosler while still running well in ARs, the new .224 Valkyrie offers excellent long-range performance when loaded with modern, high-BC bullets. After prepping cases, priming and charging with powder, seat your bullets. Baseball won over for a time when it took him to Gonzaga University on scholarship as a pitcher for the Bulldogs. Phillip has attended all follow-on formal Scout Sniper courses, having graduated with honors and recognized as High Shooter from all. In 2016, Phillip was nominated for Scout Sniper Instructor of the Year for his meticulous instruction that resulted in institutional changes in the training of Marine Scout Snipers in both formal schools and unit level training. These primers AR designation indicates a harder cup material to guard against slam fires while auto-cycling in AR platforms. The new 9mm suppressor can mount easily to any pistol barrel threaded x28 inches and doesn't compromise on sound suppression, gas blowback or recoil. Factory-advertised numbers, both in ammunition and handloading data, are generated using 24-inch test barrels. Interestingly, the AR Comp load was 21.9 Grains. In 1999, George opened GA Precision after apprenticing with three gunsmiths. The new RIA 5.0 Sporting Pistol from Rock Island Armory features a patented RVS Recoil system that maximizes barrel mass and linear movement to give shooters super soft recoil. Believe me, you dont want your bolt slamming home on a too-long case and camming halfway into battery before sticking fast. We are currently populating the cartridge drop-down menu with updated cartridge renderings, new propellants and bullets, and links to complimentary product pages. We dont cater to every trend and we arent everything to everyone. Classic Hunter Elite Hunter 338 Caliber 6.5mm: 6.5 Creedmoor 260 Remington 6.5 x 55mm Swedish Mauser 6.5-284 Norma 26 Nosler 270 Caliber: 270 Winchester Prime with small rifle caps of your choice. [4] See also [ edit] 5 mm caliber List of AR platform cartridges Alternately, you can purchase 50-count bags of new, unprimed cases from Federal. Looking for reloading data that is not in our reloading manual or listed below? Shorter projectiles, however, must be seated considerably shorter simply to get the base of the bullet far enough into the case mouth to grip it properly and concentrically. The .22 Nosler uses a 1:8 twist rate in its barrels, restricting bullet weight to 85 grains or less. The Hodgdon team selected the most ballistically uniform and efficient powders for the 224 Valkyrie. Twenty-five grains of Alliant Power Pro Varmint and 26.5 grains of Accurate 2520 grouped less than an inch at velocities ranging from 2,756 to 2,904 fps, respectively. Jaclyn has also taken up Extreme Long Range matches, including King of Two Miles in New Mexico, where she placed 14th out of 80 invited competitors. We dont cater to every trend and we arent everything to everyone. 220 Swift. Another surprisingly good predator and varmint load particularly for fur collectors that need to minimize pelt damage and for hunters in lead-restricted zones pushes Noslers 35-grain Lead Free BT at about 3,800 fps and groups beautifully. Accurate 2015Min: *. On the other hand, while the 22 Nosler still has the flattest trajectory of the bunch with the heavier big game load, the .224 Valkyrie has an even bigger . Do Pistols Benefit From Popular Aftermarket Modifications? Swift: . To comply with the new e-Privacy directive, we need to ask for your consent to set the cookies. Toggle navigation Powder Through. The .24 Nosler, so far as I know, is available only in Nosler's bolt-action rifles. 220 swift 221 remington fireball 222 remington 222 remington magnum 223 remington 223 wssm 224 valkyrie 5.56 nato 10.5 barrel 5.56 nato 14.5 barrel 5.56 nato 16.5 barrel 5.56 nato 20 barrel 224 weatherby magnum . Eric Poole and Tom Beckstrand test the Aimpoint Acro P-2 against one of red dot sights' biggest myths: distance. The Judge has been promoted! With bullets in the heavy range, youll find that youll often load to max length. Be the first to share your insights. For us, thats building the most innovative, most accurateand most effectivebullets and ammunition in the industry. I set a Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-12.5x 42mm scope in Precision Hardcore Gear Black Opps 30mm rings for testing. Given that the .224 Valkyrie is a very polite cartridge to reload, judicious handloading can just about create what factory loads are alleged to perform. However, it is important to note that one cannot just seat each and every bullet to that length without some problems, so I had to do some adjusting of COLs with some bullets. /wp-content/uploads/2016/08/HODGDON_LOGO_DARK.png. I don't believe the 22 nosler can handle the high BC bullets like the 90g SMK. After serving his country, George spent 20 years serving his community as a police officer. Apr 6, 2019 #10 S SJB358 Ballistician Dec 24, 2006 31,447 876 Dwh7271":3sm7a3c4 said: I really like the cartridge. While I havent tried them, Hodgdons manual lists H414, BL-C(2) and H4895 as providing excellent velocities with bullets in the heavier ranges, and Varget and IMR 8208 XBR for lighter projectiles. I use both Federal 205 Gold Medal and CCI BR-4 primers with great results. 243 Win. Give a Gift Its explosive expansion provides a violent energy release on impact for quick kills on varmints and predators. She has also competed for the USA in two Pan-American Shotgun matches and the 2015 IPSC World Shotgun Ladies team that brought home gold! As you may have remarked, these are all premium projectiles. This minimizes extreme spread and standard deviation, benefitting long-range accuracy. Please enter your login details below. **Max: 22.4gr85.9%4892189%2799100%2697100%Accurate 2230. As a result, cases must be aggressively resized to ensure theyll chamber properly, and they must be trimmed to appropriate length yes, every durned time theyre fired. To comply with the new e-Privacy directive, we need to ask for your consent to set the cookies. In 2016, she plans to lead a delegate of women to Capitol Hill in an effort to give legislators a face to put with gun owners. In that time I have used it for both hunting and competition. Buyer Beware: Buying 'Bargain' Guns Can Be Risky, Garmin Tactix 7 Pro Ballistic Solar-Powered GPS Smartwatch: First Look, SIG Sauer Announces New P320-XTEN 10mm Pistol, Shadow Systems Full-Size DR920P and Subcompact CR920 Handguns: Full Review, Self-Defense Handgun and Ammo Options for People With Dexterity and Strength Issues, 5 Best Red-Dot Optics for SIG Sauer P365X & XL Pistols, Ruger Reintroducing the Marlin Model 1895 Trapper Lever-Action Rifle, Silencer Central Streamlined Suppressor-Purchasing Process Shakes Up Industry, Colt King Cobra Target 22LR Rimfire Revolver: New for 2022, Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical Optic-Ready Autoloading Shotgun: First Look. Thats important for high-volume shooting. I had 2 of this load leftover and allowed an older gentleman at the range try out my Valkyrie since he was interested in it. The comparative data are shown in the last five lines of the tables below. In addition to shooting, Zach plays plays baseball, basketball, football, and track & field. This website uses cookies to ensure the best experience possible. 308 Winchester. Dont you love marketing? She recently took on the role of Southwest Regional Director for the Precision Rifle Series. Handloaders can have a ball concocting their own Valkyrie loads. The Valkyrie is designed for cutting-edge precision and ballistic performance, and personally I see no use in crippling it with cheap bullets. Because it uses the 6.8 SPC as its parent case, the .224 Valkyrie fits and functions in any quality AR-15 magazine designed for the 6.8 SPC and/or 22 Nosler. Being a ballistic geek, I entered the Valkyries data into a ballistic calculator (jbmballistics.com) to study its downrange numbers. For bolt-action rifles, you can opt to seat bullets out to kiss the rifling leade, which helps center up the cartridge in the chamber and gives the projectile a perfectly straight start into the bore. Author: Patrick Meitin / Wolfe Publishing. NoslerUSA.com INFORMATION Contact Us Order Status Become A Dealer Employment Industry Program STAY CONNECTED Follow us on social media Facebook Instagram Youtube DEALER LOCATOR Find a Nosler dealer near you. Federal wanted to make a cartridge that could compete with .22 Nosler but still feed on an AR-15 platform rifle. Extraction then became challenging. As you can see on the included handload chart, CFE-223 is a favorite of mine. His last three years of service were spent at the 1st Marine Division Scout Sniper School as the Primary Marksmanship Instructor. Alliant Powders has just released load data for the .224 Valkyrie developed with the 60-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet and the 90-grain Sierra MatchKing bullet and four of their powders. Benchmark and Varget also performed admirably, as did H414 and Ball-C(2). A Luth-AR buttstock with adjustable LOP and comb height and 15-inch M-Lok forend were added. Zach, a resident of McCook, Nebraska, started shooting trap and hunting when he was 10. For nearly two decades, Missouri-based CMMG has focused on building affordable, high-quality AR rifles. Odin sent Valkyries to battlefields to choose those who were worthy to go to an afterlife in his magnificent palace called Valhalla. He is a four-time World Champion, 13-time National Champion, the only Triple Crown winner in Action Shooting Sports and has 600+ (and counting) local and regional shooting competitions. Subscribe to the free newsletter and do not miss any news or promotions. CFE 223 contains our Copper Fouling Eraser ingredient, originally used in military propellant, which greatly deters copper fouling and contributes to longer periods of top accuracy with less barrel . Nosler bullets are'nt cheap and to get maximum performance I want maximum information. Address: xxl-reloading.com, Gartenweg 9, 83661 Lenggries, Germany. However, the .224 Valkyrie is also possessed with some demons, and these demons do apply to handloading, so lets take a look. The average group size for all 37 handloads was 0.88 inch. The most recent new cartridge for . Because the bolt of an AR-15 unlocks and begins to cam the case rearward out of the chamber while the bullet is still in the bore and the chamber still pressurized, cases get stretched. Give a Gift The Nosler is designed for 1:8 twist barrels, whereas the Valkyrie has a 1:7 twist for stabilizing larger bullets. Make an introduction to Jake and youll instantly receive a big grin and firm handshake. Nosler load data in .224 Valkyrie Sie finden 17 Ladedaten fr Munition im Kaliber .224 Valkyrie mit Nosler Geschossen weiter unten oder durch Klick auf den Button 'Passende Ladedaten'. 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 300 Holland & Holland (H&H) Magnum. Here is what Ive found works with best in my reloads. I dont plan on stopping anytime soon and this year is scheduled to be as busy as any while shooting 4 different series. ABOUT WALKER: Walker is 15 years old and has hunted from Africa to Hawaii, and several places in between, including the Yukon in Canada. All bullets except the Sierra 90-grain MatchKing varied only about 0.7 percent. However, the .224 Valkyrie has one other apparent flaw that didnt emerge immediately. In her off time, Regina writes for many publications in both print and digital mediums, trains other shooters, and mentors several up-and-coming female competitors in the precision rifle discipline. Brian moved back to Idaho, where he completed his bachelors degree in Business Finance at Albertsons College of Idaho. All powders used were either ball-type or fine stick powders that meter consistency through progressive-press throwers, allowing smoother volume loading. This time it was Federal's turn to try their hand at it. While other attempts to improve AR-15 performance (some quite valid) have been met with yawns from much of the shooting public (and firearms manufacturers), the Valkyrie was enthusiastically embraced by serious riflemen and subsequently chambered in a wide variety of AR platforms and bolt rifles. Zach has several friends that are getting into reloading shotshells because of Zachs reloads. A longtime resident of Virginia, Todd competes in over 16 different shooting disciplines (to include USPSA, 3-Gun, Steel Challenge, IDPA, Olympic Rapid Fire, Shotgun Shooting Sports). Before preparing the handloads, I realized good shooting results require a good gun, so I chose a brand-new CMMG Model Mk4 DTR2 with a 24-inch barrel and a 1:7-inch twist. find load data for your cartridge. It will give you something to do, but won't get you anywhere. The best group was .80 moa with a 77 Sierra tipped matchking. Below are my personal favorite loads for my two 28 Nosler Browning X-Bolt rifles, a Long Range Stainless Stalker with a 1 in 9 twist that my kids named The Black Pearl and a Long Range Gray Laminate with a 1 in 8 twist rate. This data is available for 80 different loads featuring 50- to 90-grain bullet options (from Hornady, Nosler, Federal, Swift and Sierra) and powders from Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester. The CMMG Endeavor 300, chambered in 22 Nosler, sent a 53-grain Varmageddon bullet out of the barrel at 3,535 fps, significantly outrunning similar-weight 223. ABOUT MARSHA: Marsha is the co-host of Shoot Straight with Chad & Marsha and is a Licensed Montana Professional Guide. 30-06 Springfield. After taking up competitive shooting in 2016, she, won the Precision Rifle Series Production division in 2017 with her Savage Stealth. In Brians first full season, he achieved several top ten finishes, two regional match wins, and a 20thplace overall finish in the National Rifle League. Please help us to improve and report any suggestions via our contact form. All but 2-3 of those are with handloadedammo. Introduced by Federal in 2017 and approved by SAAMI in 2018, the new 224 Valkyrie has been quickly adopted by long-range shooters. Obviously this isnt usually a manipulatable option like barrel length is, but if you live high, even a shorter-barreled rifle has a lot of reach. For volume loading, these three spherical powders and IMR 8208 XBR metered with great uniformity. He harvested his first turkey and whitetail deer at age 5 and completed his turkey grand slam by age 11. Introduced by Federal 2017 and approved by SAAMI in 2018, the new 224 Valkyrie has been quickly adopted by long-range shooters. Improved performance looks like 75-grain bullets pushed to nearly 3,000 fps and 90-grain bullets delivered at nearly 2,500 fps, allowing projectiles with a ballistic coefficient (BC) greater than .450 to remain supersonic to ranges out to about 1,300 yards. This year my NRL Hunter has been with H-1000 and its incredible! Bottom line: There was hardly any difference between my results and the manuals data. And it runs comfortably through a standard AR-15 action. Select A Caliber or Gauge Below To View Recipes. The Nosler 60-grain Partition liked 24.5 grains of Benchmark for 3,078 fps and a 0.71-inch group average. The new round's maximum case length is 1.600 inches, as compared to the 6.8's case length of 1.686 inches. I think thats about right with the .224 Valkyrie. New customer? This is particularly critical to achieving clean, concentric bullet seating. Suspiciously, I manually overrode the Sierra-provided variable BC numbers, plugging in only the highest, max-velocity BC (G1 BC: .563) listed for the 90-grain projectiles muzzle velocity. Of note, my initial assumption that seating bullets to fit the AR magazine with room to spare would also chamber in the Valkyrie proved wrong. Not something you want to experience. And since Federal Premium has 6.8 SPC military contracts running into the millions of rounds with countries like Saudi Arabia and Jordan, parent cases are ultra-abundant, making the Valkyrie a more affordable shooting option than other souped-up AR rounds. If loading for a bolt action, simply clean cases, confirm overall length is within spec, and proceed to resize and load. In addition, just out is a new match load from Hornady. Chris Johnson, FN Senior Product Manager, walks us through two new FN striker-fired pistols at SHOT Show 2023: the FN 510 Tactical, chambered in 10mm Auto, and the FN 545 Tactical, chambered in .45 ACP. For us, excellence is not negotiable. As noted by Sierra, the 90-grain SMK is designed to stabilize in rifling twist rates of 1 turn in 6 inches or faster. Yes, this adds expense, but it greatly reduces your case-prep time. Hornadys new 88-grain ELD Match bullet has a BC of .545 and is loaded in the companys 224 Valkyrie ammo. Ruger's multi-role small frame autoloading rifle - Sear - combines AR-10 power with AR-15 Portability. The SCAR 15P is chambered for 5.56 NATO and, with its 7.5-inch barrel, is the most compact SCAR to date. The cartridge case is arguably the best .224-caliber, AR-compatible design ever engineered. .505 Gibbs Rifle Brass 'H H' Headstamp: Maker and Quality Info Sought, Garmin Tactix 7 Pro Ballistic Solar-Powered GPS Smartwatch: First Look, SIG Sauer Custom Works P320 Spectre Comp Pistol: First Look. No reviews found. | The largest difference with the 90-grain MatchKing was 54 fps (2 percent). Other super-slinky bullets come in weights of 75, 77, 80, and 88 grains, with correspondingly high BCs, and it is important to note that heavy hunting bullets also are now available. He was trained as an armorer in the US Army, where he spent six years as a Military Police Investigator. In short, the .224 Valkyrie tends to provide poor accuracy with the bullet that all the hype is built around the 90-grain Sierra MatchKing (SMK). For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. By a longshot. Joe Kurtenbach, Executive Editor of Gun & Ammo, and John Myles from Smith & Wesson discuss features of the Equalizer 9mm micro-compact pistol and new-for-2023 M&P 5.7. Reviews. Subscriber Services. The Swift Scirocco II favored Ball-C(2) and grouped close to a half-inch. In just five years, he has earned an impressive shooting resume with consistent top finishes at national level events. Trimming prevents the case mouth from growing too long and jamming against the step in the front of the chamber. Although real-world performance is likely a tad shy of advertised performance, that really doesnt bother me.