For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out Gods wrath on the wrongdoer." The BOSS is credited as the first police security holster (earning a Level II designation under the retention level standards that Rogers created), and it was an instant hit. The author would like to thank John Bianchi and Bill Rogers for their assistance with this article and for their outstanding contributions to holster development. . Their uniforms are somewhat unique in that they don't wear shoulder patches; however, their traffic officers wear them. Spring Cleaning Clearance: 10% OFF on Shoulder Holsters. Carried it for years as my father before me and only retired it when we went to semi autos in 1990s. It has a built in retention system that requires you to turn in as you draw out. One of the hallmarks of Adam-12 was that the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) worked very closely with Universal Studios to ensure that the program was technically accurate. They had a small army of advisors who worked with scriptwriters, actors and directors to ensure that scenarios, uniforms, equipment, tactics and terminology were authentic. Those were the Days. For more information, visit blackhawk.com or call 800-379-1732. Work continued on the type, and on the heels of the phenomenal success of the Model 27, Bianchi introduced the Model 2800 Judge, which advanced the art considerably. Holsters designed for use in professional law enforcement. Level 2 - Uses friction and a second method. 1) The swivels tend to break after a while, or during a real fight for your life. In the early 70s, by then a Watch Commander for years, he switched back to his 40s rig so he wouldnt be out of uniform. Mine opens just past 90 degrees, so one handed reholstering was pretty easy, if not fast. Cart. I do have a swivel holster from Nelson Leather company, but it is a different type than the ones I have seen on the L.A. guys. Fabulous quality. A simple thumb break retained the gun, which was rotated forward to release the trigger guard from the pocket, and allow the gun to come out the front seam. The strap prevented the gun from being rotated out the front until the unique,hidden thumb breakwas released by the user. Quick View. The Model 27 used a sheet metal lining (later upgraded to tempered spring steel) in the belt loop to hold the holster offset from the hip for jacket clearance. it was cool. Dont discount the police officers in California because of the politics of the State they work in. However, due to the on-call nature of the job, we understand that officers need to have the flexibility to gear up for heavy-duty encounters at a moment's notice. I truly loved this article. Dont repeat this (Ill deny I was there), but there is a shrine in his house dedicated to the Lee Enfield rifles, and to the Webley and Smith & Wesson revolvers. Additionally, since the closure springs went around the cups, the cups helped to obtain a uniform clamping force on the gun in the holster. Using thick Kydex and Melonite-finished steel, the Duty Holster from Dara Holsters & Gear is backed by a lifetime no B.S. Hi Ron, Im glad you enjoyed the article. it was easy for the pushing motion of the index finger to continue after the gun had been drawn . Using the companys Tactical Modular Mount System, an officer can move the WRS holster from a duty belt to a tactical vest or thigh rig without the need to remove the pistol. FOR ORDER STATUS & QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL (956) 744-3219 9:00 AM TO 6:00 PM USA CENTRAL TIME, Estimated Delivery Time: 6 weeks. I dusted off the clamshell and my S&W 19 and practiced with the rig and my Second Six loaders for a couple weeks. I know about 3 of the guys I work with have 'em. Black Leather. I owned at least 5 clam shells and carried one for 17 years. Holsters | Surplus Network It would be interesting to know if the decoy snap accounted for any saves, wouldnt it? In Part I of this series, we discussed the birth of the breakfront holster with the Berns-Martin design, as well as the development of competing designs from popular police holster makers Hoyt and Safety Speed. This feature, along with the enhanced retention and security features, gave the holster an edge in safety compared to other contemporary designs of the era. Lastly, the leading edges of the cups were covered by leather that had been skived to smooth the forward drawsomething which had not been done on earlier designs. Its a story fit for a RevolverGuy, so join me as we turn the clock back to rediscover this lost gem from law enforcements past. A few classics are still with us. Yeah, youre article hit a nerve! The base of the polycarbonate spine incorporated a lock for the guns muzzle, which trapped it in position and prevented it from being rotated out the front of the holster by pushing downwards on the revolver grip. Most of our brass was retired LAPD, so we had the good fortune to go there. Thanks, Mike, I have a question about my 1962 revolver. Shop a wide variety of holsters for professional use or everyday carry. That holster was issued by a lot of agencies and not a bad design. But it was a great piece of gear. However, the 7TS uses a new nylon blend material that is extremely durable, impervious to temperature changes and weather, yet is completely non-abrasive to the guns finish. Vintage Leather POLICE BELT Jay Pee. It also has a retention strap. $135.00 USD. Oh, thats why the back is tan. Youre welcome! An excellent Vietnam period USAF Air Police swivel holster belt rig for the S&W Model 15 Revolver, which was used until the early 1970's. Please advise which garrison belt you want."Cathey Enterprises 1974", size 30, or "BLCO 1995", size 38. With practice, the 070 is as fast as any other security holster. Opens in a new window or tab. . These are Good/New Condition. It sold well in the United States, but it was the selection of the BOSS as the standard issue holster for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and all the provincial and territorial police departments in Canada, which kept Rogers in the holster business. The Hoyt breakfront, with its open muzzle, didnt suffer from this issue, but the spring which held the Hoyt closed primarily exerted its force around the cylinder area, leaving little to no tension in the area around the muzzle. I worked for a suburban SoCal department adjacent to LAPD. In Jewetts design, the pouch which held the gun was split into two halves along the front seam, which were joined at the rear by a powerful flat spring that was biased to open the halves in butterfly fashion. Bolstering the high-impact strength of our . speaking of LAPD what type of duty gear do they wear? But it wasnt just a slick show for the tube. Obsolete POLICE leather holster and PISTOL LANYARD for FN BROWNING 7.65 MM RM 255.05 RM 51.10 shipping Swivel Holster with cartridge loops fits 6-inch revolvers RM 265.70 Was: RM 664.25 RM 113.48 shipping or Best Offer Only 1 left! 1955. Hoyt was happy to personalize the rigs by stamping your name and employee#/badge on the back of the holster. Instead, he turned his creative energies towards improved security designs such as the SSIII (which later became the industry-leading Safariland Model 070 after the acquisition), and changed the face of the police duty holster forever, in the process. It is simple to reholster one handed with proper technique. Would love you to do an article on the Audley holster and its variants. Mike: In April of 1974, Bianchi acquired all rights to the Berns-Martin Holster Company (which was in the possession of acclaimed knife designer Walter Blackie Collins), including their designs, patents, and equipment, cementing their interest in becoming the foremost manufacturer of breakfront duty holsters. It also could not be pulled straight up or from the rear. Phone Model: APX 6000 (NON-XE) / 8000 (NON-XE) MSRP: $84.99. Enter https://www.police1.com/ and click OK. . Keep Reading. I saw Larry Mudgetts post below, good to know hes out therethe mans a legend! What cops need to know about 'levels' of holster retention Is it for a 4 gun with a big frame? Keith, Elmer. Also great for retention, all you had to do was hold it shut or swing it up and trap it against your rib cage. To hold the halves closed, the 2800 incorporated a pair of powerful springs that started behind the cylinder, running up and over it on each side, then down the length of the leading edge, to the very bottom. I need help from any officer,specifically L.A.P.D., that has knowledge about swivel holsters.I mention L.A. because I have seen the kind that some of their officers wear and i want to know the name of the company that makes that particular holster. CopQuest (800) 728-0974. Was like riding a bike! Introducing the Swivel Drop Leg from Alien Gear Holsters LUITON Radio Shoulder Harness Holster Chest Holder Universal Vest Rig for Police Firefighter Two Way Radio Search Rescue Essentials 570 $21 99 $26.99 A double shoulder holster with adjustable straps to be worn over or under jackets. I liked mine quite a bit and still have it. I mean, grab the grip and just raise that thing like you were just holding at your side. LAPD went to the Model 15 in 1969 as I was issued one at that time. 2x Black Leather Police Security Military Mace/Pepper Spray Holster/Pouch C-309 $ 17.50 Buy It Now $5.95 Shipping Condition: Used Location: Woodside, United States Many of Police & Security. I had a model 28 S&W and a buddy gave me his custom made break front that he had never used. CLS Replacement Swivel Belt Holster Display Fanny pack Fanny Pack Fireman Fits JMX Radio Flexible Hand Heavy Duty Hi-Visibility High Capacity Battery Leather Leather Carrying Case with Swivel Clip Long Alligator Belt Clip Mesh Chest Harness No Display Portable Radio Radio Belt Clip Radio Carrying Case with Loop Rear Panel Adapter Shoulder Copyright 2023 Glad you enjoyed the story, and hope youll stick around and check out the other fun stuff here. The tiger shark wears like iron, Ive had a belt and IWB holster made of it for the last 18 years and it is nearly indestructible plus it wont melt. Free shipping for many products! Vintage Police Swivel 38 Cal Revolver Leather Holster $53.81 Buy It Now or Best Offer See Details Vintage BRIDLE Leather Jay-Pee SAM BROWNE Belt Size 36 !! Insured Priority Mail is $16.00. finds relevant news, identifies important training information, He makes rigs for a lot of LEO who are usually (a) single, and (b) dont have support payments. The Rogers Type I Paddle Holster was a leather-lined breakfront holster with a shell made from polymer (Kydex-type material). Amazing craftmanship and excellent quality. The article got me wondering if some Kydex magician out there could come up with an efficient design for longer barrel revawvers for concealed carry? The trigger guards on the new autopistols were shaped differently than the revolvers they replaced, and couldnt be trapped in place by a pocket built into the holster like those on the round guns. I never thought I would ever have the pleasure of actually carrying this gun as I could not find a holster that could compete with it! A clamshell wasnt your average, pedestrian, top draw rig. The notch they started making in the later models made it so much easier. Just wanted to drop a line and express my appreciation for the quality products you produce and excellent customer service. 2016 to 2023 RevolverGuy.com, All Rights Reserved. Mike Wood is a bonafide revolver nut, a handgun, shotgun, and patrol rifle-certified law enforcement firearms instructor, and the author of Newhall Shooting: A Tactical Analysis, the definitive study of the infamous, 1970 California Highway Patrol shootout in Newhall, California. MSRP: $38.00. It also had a more efficient safety strap than the Berns-Martin, which was easily operated by the trigger finger as part of the draw (a similarrelease was laterused onthe Safety Speed design). As I recall, you had to get it unsnapped, then rock the grip forward a little bit, then pull up a skoche, then swivel the grip back to push the muzzle through the front, then push the frame/cylinder out the front. One small correction in that you can still get a breakfront made today from the AE Nelson company. Concord, NH. They are still quite popular with my agency. 3.2 out of 5 star rating (21 reviews) . It uses a rotating hood and an anti-blade device to help secure the gun from an offenders grab. Thanks for the article. For more information, visit unclemikes.com or call 800-423-3537. Operating the safety strap was a motion that took some time, and the officer could not establish his grip to draw the gun until this step was complete. judged. I was a street cop on LAPD in the late 60s thru the early 80 s. Any RevolverGuy who grew up like I did, watching a steady diet of the 1970s police drama Adam-12, will certainly remember those Blue Knights, Malloy and Reed, each drawing a Combat Masterpiece revolver from a clamshell holster that sprung open like magic every time our heroes needed to draw down on some counterculture scumbag. In the post-war era, the design continued to grow in popularity, particularly in Southern California, the heart of clamshell holster production. Different officers carried all kinds of holsters, they carried what worked for them and what they were skilled at using. Truly amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail. Gould & Goodrich Leather Pager Holder Model 614. Lexipol. Jewetts holster was initially produced by the Speed Safety company (which took its name from the two unique qualities of the holster design) from 1932 until somewhere around 1942-43, at which point some of the production rights were sold to another company that operated under the similar name, Safety Speed. We all had nick names it was a street cop thing. The MSRP for these holsters is $72. The current crop of synthetic holsters are superior tools. I hope youll stick around and check out the other great stories here on RevolverGuy. The best Gun Leather Products for Shoulder Holsters, Law Enforcement, Western Rigs, Concealed Holsters, Police Duty Rigs. Service Mfg. Co - Yonkers, Ny. 1911. 5 Inch. Leather Lined Plastic Im glad you hung onto it. The spring system was tuned perfectly. 4.6 out of 5 star rating (14 reviews) Quick View. These are a source of complaint for my poor wife and I have no real argument for my continued love for them. I do not have a law enforcement back ground so this has been very educational for me. Glad youre enjoying it! There are currently 33844 users online. Ace. Collectible Police Holsters for sale | eBay 2023 All Rights Reserved. As always great article and I plan on getting your book soon. But, as I said, just stories now. It wasnt a security holster for general duty use, so Rogers got to work in the late 1970s and designed the first purpose-built security holster for uniformed police officers, the Rogers BOSS. Thanks. Two Way Radio Carrying Cases and Belt Clips The department let me carry it until I retired, our senior Sgt. All rights reserved. They run about $180 and are very similar to the Hoyts except that the basketweave pattern runs parallel to the ground rather than on an angle (as with most other basketweave rigs). This was due to several negligent discharges blamed on the holster. Swivel Belt Loop and Drop Shank for Law Enforcement, SP100 Belt Loop for Safariland Duty Holsters, SW402 Duty Holster Level 2 (Glock, S&W and many other duty gun models) with Drop & Swivel, Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device. Glad to have you here. There are currently 33844 users online. breakfront. TAU GX4 9MM 3 BLK 2-10RD MFT BW HOLSTER | Grove Gun Shop Lieutenant Colonel (Ret.) The Model 2800 Judge incorporated other helpful features, such as a Bucheimer-style thumb break that was more easily operated than the finger-release of the Model 27 or early Safety Speed, and also more resistant to a snatch attempt. I've been in and out of this job since 1983 and was looking for something more comfortable but would still retain the weapon. .38 Caliber Revolver Swivel-Holster? - U.S. Militaria Forum For more information, visit safariland.com or call 800-347-1200. Those rosewood stocks on the Python are an excellent example of the personalization you discussed, being handcarved to fit the users hand. I packed them for 7 years. The SW602 features a level 2 security thumb break and a 6" drop. Rapid Force Duty Holsters (2023) - Gun Girl News But he didnt stop there, check out his site and youll be able to get holsters, belts, ammo and magazine holders made out of alligator, crocodile, tiger shark, emu, salmon (as in the fish), tegu lizard, monitor lizard, ringed lizard, hippopotamus, rhino, elephant, elephant trunk, elephant ear, cape buffalo (last four being trophy hides only) and one of Floridas best hated critter: Python. Our selection includes holsters for pistols and revolvers, including models with weapon lights, as well as holsters for tasers. The MSRP starts at $97. Filter by Brand Carry Type Function Holster Ride Holster Series Retention Level Security Mechanism Showing 1-20 of 127 Sort by Most Popular 7360 - 7TS ALS/SLS Mid-Ride Duty Holster $85.75 $209.00 575 IWB Holster GLS Pro-Fit Holster $72.50 Some of us decided a five-second draw wasnt efficient enough, and went back to real holsters. Cutaway design with safety strap for easy fast access. Polymer Parliament will henceforth be a permanent part of the lexicon here. Gould & Goodrich Gould and Goodrich Adjustable Tension Level 2 Leather Duty Holster. Adler, Dennis. Perhaps the only thing worse than being shot in the line of duty is being shot with your own weapon. I do wish youd cool it on EBay though, so I could win some of those bids myself. Durable, heavy-duty construction in a lightweight configuration. Bravo, Sir! All times are GMT-6. A picture is below, my revolver is not for sale. We now pick up the breakfrontsaga where we left off . Create Account; Log Out ; Log In ; Wishlist 0; Shopping Cart 0; Home; About . It is a piece of history. Rating: Bianchi Accumold Elite 7920 Defender II Level 2 Duty Holster. Thank you for writing in and adding to the story of these iconic holsters. I believe they were the finest revolver duty holsters ever made. One Lt. told me I couldnt carry like this but our manual still allowed us a Smith & Wesson, Colt, or Ruger Revolver. Yup, hadnt been updated in years! This page was generated at 06:57 AM. Copies of the Bulletin came with a letter from J Edgar Hoover. Designed by Bill Rogers, the 070 has been made by Safariland since the mid-1980s. Safariland 070 SSIII. Loved the article. North Hollywood, CA. The Model 7360 is a new holster from Safariland that is similar in configuration to the 6360. Top of a closet, I find the complete evidence box including burglars gun! If you are looking for a holster that you can pass on to children and them to their children, look no further! I sure wish they still made them. Unfortunately by the time the holster designs had benefitted from that long development process, the revolver era was just about over. The spine also incorporated a trigger guard lock, which combined with a cylinder recess and the safety strap, prevented the gun from being drawn straight upwards out of the holster. Also, as a young pup, some of my partners were laterals from Pasadena and this was where I got to see these clamshells up close. The hardest part was finding one for a 4 inch ( Im a short guy and could never carry a 6 inch). Wolfe Publishing Company. Several of us there carried in clamshell holsters. le-de-France: le drglement climatique, une situation "bouleversante" pour les agriculteurs. Gould & Goodrich | A passion for protection Burglar spent the rest of his life in prison. Countless officers owe their livesat least in partto this holster. Duty Holsters Holsters designed for use in professional law enforcement. Romans 13:4, If this is your first visit be sure to check out the frequently asked questions by clicking here. Bianchi didnt give up though, and the company was successful in meeting the demands of large agencies like the California Highway Patrol (1970) and the Los Angeles Police Department (1972), whichmade the Model 27 holster standard issuefor their officers. It uses an ALS to help secure the gun, and it also has an optional Sentry system. This rear-quarter disarm technique had become popular with savvy criminals by this time, and the BOSS muzzle lock protected against it. Original West German PP/PPK Police Swivel Holster The holster is rugged as hell. All that said, I do appreciate the research and history lesson. I used to carry my 5 Model 27 (yes Im a Skeeter fan) in a Bianchi D27 as it gave the most protection from brush with the fastest access I could find. Great holster. and manufacturers. Got days off, the unwanted kind.4 months later got called back up to see the sergeant and offered a job.as long as I promised not to shoot anything else there! Holsters vary in the degree to which they secure or protect the firearm. Even after the department finally switched to a high ride breakfront holster made by Bianchi in the mid-1970s, Los Angeles police officers were allowed to purchase their own clamshells and use them on duty, which they did with great enthusiasm into the 1980s. The release was smooth. They were truly an innovation for carrying a 6 barrel revolver, which gave officers an inherently more accurate sighting radius. Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh. 1965. The inventor of the clamshell holster was Mr. Frank C. Jewett, whose patent for the design was granted on 10 October 1933. $20.89. In order to carry it, I had to qualify with it using only one hand to put it away. $161.55 USD. Police officers have little control of the politics in the State in which they work. I was not aware these dangerous holsters were even still made. Safariland 070 SSIII. The good folks at Ted Blocker nailed it . I was in a few shootings in my career and it always worked like a charm, when we were qualifying no one could beat me on the draw. This is an N-frame (Large frame) revolver. Happy to try and answer it! In the Judge, the metal cups that surrounded the cylinder added strength and helped the holster maintain its shape. BUCHEIMER CLARK HOLSTER PATROLMAN POLICE LEATHER SWIVEL B7A- 34W BLACK COLT Bucheimer B7A-34W Patrolman gun swivel holster. One of the problems with the Berns-Martin, Bianchi Model 27, and Safety Speed designs was the closed muzzle configuration of these holsters. Super fast. I will wear it with pride as long as I am able to!! Safariland 762 Adjustable Swivel Radio Pouch - Cordovan. Your email address will not be published. In comparison, the Bianchi Model 27 was produced using tooling and methods that allowed for mass production. Did they replace the outer part of the shell, or just reshape it when you went to the 686?