The Best Road Trip from Salt Lake City To Moab. Since I couldn't get close to the rocks, I strained my eyes to view the faded petroglyphs and pictographs. As your weekend trip winds down, you may be looking for a relaxing way to ease yourself back into reality. No trip to Moab is complete without visiting Arches National Park. After being pushed out of Salt Lake City, they relocated to the desert where they managed to grow to a population of 228. Westwaters splashy Class III-IV whitewater and the chance to hike to cool sites like one of outlaw Butch Cassidys legendary hideouts will have you planning your next river trip before you even reach the takeout. The point is accessible by a precariously narrow road dont look down. Answer 1 of 13: Will be in Denver from a Sunday afternoon in July, fly home the following Saturday. The Coolest Utah Road Trip Pit Stops: Salt Lake City, Moab - Insider The downtown area is a walkable section of the city offering visitors great dining establishments, shops, and historic sites. If youre looking to explore Salt Lake and the surrounding areas along the way to Moab over an extended period of time, you might want to consider renting an RV. I tried it before heading into Arches National Park, and easily saw why the breakfast eatery attracts both locals and tourists alike. My sweetheart and I are going to SLC 3/14-3/21. While I could spot the bright-white building, I thought the far-away views weren't worth the time it took me to get there. 1. The trip can also be done in reverse, starting in Vegas and finishing in SLC. : Want to learn about the natural environment around you? How far is Salt Lake City to Moab by plane? Home of Brigham Young University, Provo is a good spot to stop and stretch your legs. It was a short drive off the highway. A drive on Main Street solidifies Moab's reputation as a major hub for outdoor recreation. Tours are available in the evening, at which time you may be able to watch the sky burst with color as the sun sets behind the red rock horizon. On this road trip, you'll trace the river and its tributaries across Utah and Colorado, seeing all the ways in which water has shaped the land. No long forms. 1 hour Malad City. If youre looking for a more scenic drive, consider taking Highway 89. Copper Ridge Dinosaur Tracks Trail, Bone Trail, Willow Springs Dinosaur Track Site, and the Bull Canyon Overlook Dinosaur Track Site are other Moab locations for more Jurassic fun! Check if you are overpaying for car insurance. The park becomes very busy by mid-morning, and parking can be difficult. This is a short drive from the airport, and if you have the extra time, it is totally worth it. In 1892, it became Moab's county courthouse,and today's kitchen wasoncethe courthouse's jail cell. Exploring Hells Revenge is at the top of everyones list when visiting Moab. Take a day in between the two and make the drive for a quintessential Utah road trip. Its a great place to watch the sunset. Its impossible to squeeze a trip to Moab into a single day (you could easily spend a week in this adventure hub), but whatever you do, dont miss a malt at Milts Stop & Eat. Day three of your weekend retreat is all about seeing some of Moabs more remote destinations. While others are audio based and allow you to explore the beauty of these parks at your own pace. Tours and equipment for these sports are available throughout the area and are a good time, especially if you are doing activities for the first time. After her husband died, she believed she was receiving messages directly from god, instructing her to build a colony to survive the imminent end of the world. Drop off your camping gear, then head into the park to hike to the Emerald Pools or, if youve left most of the day, the classic (and seriously exposed) Angels Landing, which is not for the faint of heart. The best part is it only takes four days. Having a rental car will also give you lots of flexibility once you get to Moab. Afterwards, with tired legs and an unshakeable smile its time to head back into town for a bite to eat before gazing upwards into some of the darkest night skies anywhere in the world. This local dive bar has morphed into a must-stop eatery on any road trip between Moab and Salt Lake City. Just jump on the bus in downtown Salt Lake City, and 5 hours later, youre in Moab! It's an outstanding drive, especially around sunset. Check the road conditions from Moab to Salt Lake City and plan a trip based on the weather along the way. As your road trip progresses further south through Utah, you will come upon a number of towns, including Provo, Spanish Fork, Heber, Price, Green River, and Thompson Springs. 6 Outdoorsy Weekend Road Trips from Salt Lake City, Utah - Territory Supply Check out the route. I opted to add an extra hour of driving to my road trip across Utah just so I could spend the night in Midway, which has been dubbed Utah's little Switzerland, according to Only In Your State. Sunset Grill is a well-known Moab establishment. If you have ever wanted to move to or visit either Salt Lake City or Denver to help contribute to their traffic problems, this video from Mr. Nothing quite compares to the adventurous spirit of a road trip. Sign up today for monthly giveaways, engaging stories & videos, special offers & more! Some of Utah's prettiest vistas are on display as you traverse mountains and valleys on this road trip from Salt Lake City to Moab, Utah. According to the Utah Department of Health and Human Services' website, state agencies, the general public, and USH employees can reserve the amphitheater. All Rights Reserved. As the day winds down, be sure to spend the evening popping into the galleries, gift shops and outfitters that line Main Street for a sense of Moabs charm. West, Inc. holds Transportation Charter Permits (TCP0022913 - C and TCP0022913 A) with the California Public Utilities Commission. That means purchasing the best, most affordable insuranceand signing up for, Find insurance savings it's 100% free, Compare Free Quotes (& Save Hundreds per Year! If you can, plan a layover day here and snag a permit to do a top-down hike of Zions Narrows. Road Trip from Salt Lake City to Zion National Park - LazyTrips , a healthy spot for a variety of fresh eats. With staggering sights and easy access to national parks, Moab is a great place to visit. That question followed me for the rest of my afternoon in the national park that's located outside Moab. Regardless of where youre driving, you need the, . Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. After providing you with a comprehensive cross-analysis of the best policies across providers, Jerry will handle the phone calls, paperwork, and renewals for your top pick so that you dont have to. Road conditions from Salt Lake City to Moab Utah One of the most fun and accessible hiking trails is The Living Room. Finally, turn right on UT-261 south (four miles) and keep an eye out for the Kane Gulch Ranger Station, where youll start your journey. The flight distance from Salt Lake City to Moab, Utah is approximately 196 miles (315.4 km). Stretch your legs on the Queens Garden Trail, a 1.8-mile trip to Queen Victoria Hoodoo and back. The drive from Salt Lake City to Moab is not scary. Weather conditions: Find out if there are any road closures in Utah from UDOT.Check road conditions from Moab Utah to Salt Lake City, or you can get reverse directions from Salt Lake City to Moab Utah.If you're trying to avoid mountains or steep grade roads, check the elevation profile from Moab Utah to Salt Lake City.Or if you are hungry, look for places to eat between Moab Utah and Salt Lake . With soda shops sprinkled across the state, I chose pop more often than coffee during my road trip. The landscape along the way makes you want to grab your water bottle a must-have in the hot, desert environment and hike through the red rock formations. Your kids will also be amazed by the dinosaur trackway at Mill Canyon. stay overnight and leave the next day around 10:00 am. Since the church's members are urged not to consume alcohol, tobacco, and hot caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee in the church, according to The Washington Post, some people turned to soda. A straightforward road trip from Salt Lake City to Zion National Park will take 310 miles. Two intriguing and different Utah destinations Moab and Salt Lake City are waiting for you to explore their gifts. It has breathtaking view after view around every corner. I've never seen petroglyphs before, so when I learned Sego Canyon was within driving distance from Moab, I added it to my list of pit stops. Imagine being on a movie set with John Wayne as you ride horseback through familiar movie backdrops, orfollow the path of explorer John Wesley Powellas you float down the Colorado. drive for about 1 hour. Emma Walker is the author of the book Dead Reckoning: Learning from Accidents in the Outdoors. She earned her M.S. Photos: The Narrows in Zion National Park Frances Gunn/Unsplash; Bryce Canyon National Park Photo by Edgar Chaparro/Unsplash; Camping near Moab Photo by Ben Duchac/Unsplash; Arches National Park Shutterstock; Cataract Canyon rafting trip James Kaiser. Will the Middle Fork Salmon Debris Flow Impact 2023 River Trips? Here are the places I'd go to again in a heartbeat, and where I'll skip on future travels. Salt Lake City & Wasatch Front Winter in Southern Utah Ski Resorts Dark Sky Parks Things To DoToggle Menu Close Menu Arts & Museums Backpacking Camping Cycling Dinosaurs Festivals & Events Filmed in Utah Fishing Food & Nightlife Hiking History Mountain Biking OHV & Off-Road Rafting Road Trips Rock Climbing Skiing Slot Canyons Snowboarding Moab Giants Dinosaur Park is the best place to see dinosaurs in their life-size proportions. Photo: Tom Gainor / Unsplash. You are going to love visiting Moab. However, you definitely want to stop and explore Utah's gorgeous scenery. Road Trip Conditions. find more stops. For more road trip inspiration, check out our library of itineraries from some of the Wests biggest travel hubs. Our mission is to serve the 50+ traveler who's ready to cross a few items off their bucket list. By the time I sat down, the sun had fully set and the food wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped. Few Clouds. I want to try it out on my car, but I cant seem to find the plug. Established Clear Sky. At the top of Dead Horse Point State Park, there is a large flat area the point surrounded by deep, rocky canyons with precipitous drops. drive for about 3 hours. Find pet-friendly stops. There are several rental car companies in the Salt Lake area, with many great options available at the Salt Lake Airport. Pick up a map at the entrance station, then head to Sunrise Mesa for views of the Boat Mesa and Sinking Ship formations. This route takes you through the small towns of Mount Pleasant and Fairview, and past the beautiful Sanpete Valley. Interested in a map of this Utah itinerary? As I dropped off my car and boarded a plane home to Denver, Colorado, I felt like a road trip across Utah was the best way to see the state for the first time. Every turn opens up new and unusual gravity-defying red rock formations. may appear arid and sparse, theres plenty to do in the Beehive State. 48 minutes Nebo Loop National Scenic Byway. Can You Rent A Car With An OpenSky Credit Card? If youre traveling with to Moab with kids, you more than likely have someone in the group crazy about dinosaurs. I arrived and was told there was a 60-minute wait for a table. Follow US-89 for 43 miles, hang a right onto UT-12 (13 miles), and take another right onto US-63 south, which brings you into the park. Insider paid for the soda, per our reporting standards. Moab Utah to Salt Lake City drive - plan a road trip Today, the ghost town is privately owned, so people can only view the remaining buildings from a distance. Day 1: Fly to Salt Lake City, Drive to Moab Driving time and distance: 4 hours, 240 miles Pick up your rental car at the airport (a standard vehicle is fine for this itinerary) and drive to Moab. Thanksgiving Point is a community attraction featuring kid-friendly museums and an expansive, stunning garden. I walked through the park and navigated my way to the entrance of the amphitheater where a group was practicing a play. Just 15 minutes from Temple Square, and featuring two restaurants, it features everything you could need for a one-night downtown stay. If youre looking to get from Salt Lake to Moab quickly, take the skies and arrive in a little over an hour. Salt Lake City is the ideal starting point to set out to the Yellowstone National Park and to discover the natural resources in northern Utah as well. Moab, Utah - A World Famous Slickrock Playground | Visit Utah The community didn't last long. Make sure to bring plenty of snacks and water, as it gets hot out there! Visitors can snorkel or scuba dive in the warm waters, which hover around 94 Fahrenheit degrees year round. Make sure you visit Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. In May, I went to Moab, Utah. Leg 1: Salt Lake City to Zion National Park Get an early start to leave as much time as possible to explore Utah's first national park. Salt Lake City to Moab Road Trip Itinerary - Our Beautahful World Greyhound and Salt Lake Express offer daily bus services between Salt Lake City and Moab, with prices starting at around $35 for a one-way trip. Every Thursday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., the Tabernacle choir group in Salt Lake City hosts rehearsals that are open to the public, according to the choir group's website. Today, bits of Swiss culture are sprinkled throughout Midway. Guided mountain biking tours along the Moab Courthouse Loop (introductory route, 7-10 miles) are a great option for families riding together who want to experience mountain biking at an introductory level. 6 hours of driving. The Cheapest Way to Get from Salt Lake City to Moab, Salt Lake City to Moab Drive Rent A Car In Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City to Moab Driving Stops Along The Way, Salt Lake City to Moab Best Driving Route. From Moab to Salt Lake City, I made more than a dozen pit stops on my road trip. What is a 2007 Honda Civics life expectancy? Youll then turn onto Highway 24, which will take you through Capitol Reef National Park and into the town of Hanksville. We want to be leisurely, so can you suggest an overnight stop between Santa Monica and the GC. It's hard to miss as it sits on a hill overlooking the desert town. Road Trip from Seattle to Moab - LazyTrips Our family travels throughout the United States in our RV visiting beaches, national parks and everything in between. From Salt Lake City, hop on I-15 south for a straight shot to the state's southern reaches. As you navigate the bumpy, hair-raising descents, switchback turns, and steep climbs enjoy sweeping vistas of the La Sal Mountains while leaving the navigating to someone else. The driving distance from Salt Lake to Moab is 234 miles. Welcome to an idyllic weekend road trip to Moab. Yes! 1 hour Temple Square. 33 minutes Manti. From Moab, its a little less than four hours back to Salt Lake Citythat is, if you can pry yourself away. The penne di caprino with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and artichoke hearts on a bed of penne is heavenly. Finally, end your day with stargazing at RedRock Astronomy for a sense of Southern Utahs dark skies. Try to take a midday nap and rest up for the amazing nighttime starlight dark sky extravaganza. As you visit, do your part to keep Utah Forever Mighty. If youre traveling with young children or those who might be unable to explore the parks on foot, never fear! Try the Sloppy Joe! Salt Lake City . I'm Bill Hinkson, a 37 year old writer who loves cars and traveling. Youll pass by the Provo River, which is a popular spot for fly-fishing, and through the Manti-La Sal National Forest, which is home to some of Utahs most stunning scenery. Take in the staggering views of the Salt Lake Valley and the abrupt shift as the southern route morphs the landscape into barren, red rock and desert. Each year, the temple holds one of the largest color festivals outside India, its website states. To break up the driving, I planned my road trip withstops atpopular roadside attractions and under-the-radar places. Heighten your adrenaline and explore the stark landscape on the Fins and Things 44 trail. This quintessential slot canyon hike is one of the parks most iconic. The flight time from Salt Lake City to Moab is approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong, Arches National Park is a must for any first-time trip to Moab. One thing is for certain, you can always find something to do in Moab. We went canyoneering while we were in Moab and had a great time. 42 minutes Lava Hot Springs. To get there, take US-63 north onto Johns Valley Road for 34 miles. Clear Sky. Mingling with students on the cusp of exploring their future imparts a sense of youthful exuberance, not to mention a trip down memory lane. Archaeologists estimate that the Bears Ears area contains more than 100,000 Indigenous cultural sites, and the concentration of human history here is truly awe-inspiring. Salt Lake City - Dining, Shopping & Lodging | Visit Utah Salt Lake City to Zion National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Uber vs Rental Car: is It Cheaper to Rent a Car or Uber, New York City to Niagara Falls Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, San Diego to Joshua Tree National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Dallas to Oklahoma City Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, St. Louis to Memphis Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Atlanta to Savannah Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Phoenix to Flagstaff Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Chicago to Indianapolis Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Portland to Crater Lake National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Anchorage to Valdez Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Santa Fe to Taos Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route. Some travelers drive from Salt Lake City to Arches National Park just to reconnect with nature and truly experience the sheer beauty of Moab and the surrounding areas. You can travel by train from Salt Lake City to Moab via Amtrak, for most of the way. drive for about 4 hours. Moab is located about 3 hours and 40 minutes (234mi / 377km) away from Salt Lake City and where our Utah road trip itinerary begins from. Ogden managed to gather about 100 followers, but by 1937, seven people remained after the colony received bad press, Atlas Obscura reported. Road conditions from Salt Lake City to Moab Road conditions from Moab to Salt Lake City. Do Car Rental Companies Check Your Driving License? Hike the famous. Plus, the trip gives you a backstage pass to Canyonlands National Park. Its a great place to stop for a meal or to explore the historic downtown area. Once you get to Zion, have a look around before checking into your hotel for the evening. Being able to stop wherever and whenever is my idealway to explore. ). Lying just 10 minutes from downtown, this 2.2-mile out-and-back hike leads to incredible views of Downtown and the surrounding landscape. If I'm passing through Spanish Fork again, I plan to make another pit stop for either a yoga class or lunch buffet. We are an every day family prioritizing experiences and memories. Buckle up! WATCH: The Differences Between Salt Lake City & Denver From there, its up to you. Or, if youre looking to cool down, a jet boat tour on the Colorado River promises everything from wildlife views to a ground level vantage point of the Goose Neck. If you dont have the proper vehicle to handle these types of trails, you can rent a jeep through Moab Adventure Center on the main street in Moab. If more information had been provided on the petroglyphs, I think it may have been worth the drive. Offering fine Italian cuisine in an old brownstone, you will be charmed by the hip interior. On most Thursday evenings from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., The Tabernacle Choir entertains audiences with their famed choir rehearsals. Drive from Las Vegas (168 miles) or Salt Lake City (314 miles) to Springdale, gateway to Zion National Park. In one corner of downtown is a large food truck park where you can dine on everything from gelato to paninis. We are both senior citizens and do not hike or ski. I plugged in the Dream Mine on Google Maps, which led me to a gated road. On the surface, the water was a crystal-blue color and I thought it had the relaxing temperature of a warm bath. offers an excellent roadside assistance program. Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so theyre bound to have one close by. 1 hour Wayan. Another option is to take a shuttle service, such as Moab Express or Road Runner Shuttle, which offer door-to-door service from Salt Lake City to Moab. Capitol Reef National Park is a stunning park with towering cliffs, canyons, and rock formations. It features 10 revolving exhibits, each delving into the culture, history, and geography of Utah and The Great Salt Lake. Moab to Salt Lake City via Vernal. Get up early to start your National Park tour. I rented a car for five days and traveled 700 miles across the state. An intelligent AI-based tool like Jerry is the easiest and most effective way to find a car insurance policy that is customized for you. With the Colorado and Green Rivers flowing nearby, theres no better place on the planet to start a river trip than Moab. But luckily, no matter where you are, Jerrys comprehensive roadside assistance package features up to 10 miles of towing plus jump starts, tire changes, fuel deliveries, and more. Denver to Saltlake City and back - Road Trips Message Board - Tripadvisor The Perfect One Week in Utah Road Trip Itinerary (7 Day Guide) Within two hours of departing the city, you'll enter the Colorado Plateau, which is home to the mountains, rock arches, canyons, and rivers that make the Southwest a stunning natural playground. Beat compares the two cities' economies, climates . And the easiest way to get it is to use. Enjoy the scenery on the four-hour drive before exploring the fringes of. *An earlier version of this Utah road trip post first appeared on the blog in 2013 and was last updated February 2021. Hike Canyon Overlook Trail (1 hour, 1 mi/1.6 km round trip) Monster quesadillas that will fuel you up with energy for your outdoor exploits are served up at this food truck stop. Highway 89 and Highway 24. National Parks road trip Santa Monica to Salt Lake City A visit to Moab wouldnt be complete without exploring the red rocks up close and personal. This route takes you through the heart of Utahs stunning countryside, past majestic mountains, red rock formations, and deep canyons. One of Utah's most famous ghost towns is Iosepa, which was designed to be an oasis for Hawaiian followers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after they were pushed out of Salt Lake City in the 1880s. Road conditions from Salt Lake City to Moab Utah. While the amphitheater doesn't have a website, I did find its Facebook page, where upcoming events are listed and shared. From there, its a short drive to Moab. Be sure to check out the Bean Life Science Museum and the BYU Museum of Paleontology. So I gave up and viewed the mine from a distance. Then its right on Browns Lane (2.7 miles) and, finally, a right on UT-24 east for a little over 17 miles into Capitol Reef. But realize that if we do that it will take all of our time. disembarked the luxury Rocky Mountaineer train, Utah Department of Health and Human Services' website, crowdsand had to contend with the hassle of needing a timed reservation to enter the park, mistakes park rangers often see in the national parks.