Thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations. We also love seeing wildlife. Most major cities along the coast including San Francisco, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles have the presence of most hotel chains and it is easy to find a place to stay for all budgets. I hear the beaches there are nice so we're considering Twin Lakes State Beach & Manresa. Monterey Tourism Monterey Hotels Monterey Guest House Monterey Holiday Homes Monterey Holiday Packages Monterey Flights . As a member of our team, you can too.We haveSee this and similar jobs on LinkedIn. See Bixby Creek Bridge, hike McWay Falls, spend time at San Dollar Beach before reaching San Luis Obispo for the night. Inside its quaint Victorian facade lie 69 well-appointed rooms, some of which are pet-friendly, too. Looking for exceptional deals on Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Westside Santa Cruz vacation packages? Monterey, which is further north of Big Sur, is located no more than 1-1.5 hours away from most of the attractions that we recommend seeing on a Big Sur itinerary. I have the time but worry about the length of the (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? It is especially good if this is your first time visiting. Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Monterey are adjacent to one another.Santa Cruz would be further north. Reserve now, pay when you stay. Don't stay at any with "Boardwalk" in the name.. If you like to stay at a motel and do the Boardwalk, Santa Cruz is more your liking stay there. I concur with november moon. Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. Sip drinks and enjoy cheap bars games at lively One Double Oh Seven Club. If you want to go a more scenic way along the CA Highway 1 (also known as the Pacific Coast Highway or the PCH), then plan that to take you about 2.25-2.5 hours. This property has five bedrooms with great features and stunning views. The aquarium in Monterey is a big draw, and it is very good. They are adjacent. The 1960's "hippie" students I mentioned are now retired lawyers, doctors, university professors, heads of universities, involved in the genome project, and important members of communities all over California. The Comfort Inn hotel in Watsonville, CA is near Capitola Beach, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Monterey Bay Aquarium offering free hot breakfast & more! Try to help and people have to go on a rant. Carmel has some very nice places to stay. Which is exactly why I put together this guide to the best places to stay in Santa Cruz. This shabby-chic hotel is just steps from the beach, the Boardwalk, great restaurants and lively nightlife. I would have a hard time finding stuff to . However, for stretches of Big Sur, most accommodations while beautiful are few and expensive. I do not recommend staying at a hotel right near the Boardwalk, but there are some good ones nearer the Municipal Wharf, specifically the joie d'vivre Dream Inn, the Seaview Inn, the West Cliff Inn (a Victorian Bed and Breakfast) and a couple more. Then read our comprehensive review for the inside scoop! You'll enjoy a meal of shrimp, oysters and clam chowder after your day in the town or hunting for killer whales and dolphin pods while sailing the pacific. Set in central California, Santa Cruz is the epitome of west coast cool. From a hotel on the beach, to a quaint inn or bed and breakfast, to a vacation rental for the family or a rustic campground, you can rest easy in Santa Cruz County. Also, can any give me some input on hwy1 from LA up to San Simeon. Theres also a large, fully-stocked kitchen. We also like pit stops - a couple things we were looking at to pit stop are Hearst Castle, Madonna Inn. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-63172993', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Nepenthe. The Monerey Bay Aquarium is not to miss there. 7. Feast on fresh and delicious seafood and more at Stagnaro Bros. Go for a stroll along the Santa Cruz Wharf and spot local wildlife like sea lions, whales, birds and more. One of the coolest places to stay in Santa Cruz, Capitola is packed with incredible things to see and explore. This stunning three-star property is ideally located in La Selva Beach. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-41177793', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');San Francisco the first week of August. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-77302454', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Carmel is, they roll up the sidewalks at 6pm ;-) so if you want any kind of nightlife other than a nice dinner out and perhaps drinks at a quiet bar, Monterey or Santa Cruz will be a better choice. Is your phone eSIM ready? If you are coming by Air or Train, San Jose is the best destination. It seems like there are lots of mom and pop hotels. The Monterey Hotel (from USD 112) Come and experience full-blown comfort at The Monterey Hotel. It is close to popular tourist attractions as well as dining, nightlife and shopping options. Located in the heart of Monterey Bay between Santa Cruz and Monterey, 4 miles inland of Moss Landing, 20 miles from Santa Cruz and 15-18 miles from Monterey and Carmel. Convenient private room is one of our favourites in Santa Cruz, California but theyre not taking guests right now. document.getElementById("ak_js_1").setAttribute("value",(new Date()).getTime()); Furnished with an eye for detail, this Downtown Airbnb is the right place for visiting Santa Cruz for the first time. It's myself and my husband and we are going the first week in May. Browse the buzzing Sunday Art & Music at the Beach events throughout the summer. All amenities are in great condition, the beach is right around the corner and the living area is perfect to gather the whole family for dinner after a long and exciting day. This is information only and not a recommendation to buy travel insurance. It is a really vibrant and colourful area of Santa Barbara, and it reallys really unique. What is the makeup of your party? Do you enjoy luxury or more budget-oriented accommodations? I concur with november moon. There is a good and informative visitor center and some great tide pools. Monterey is a quintessential north California ocean town in the USA and has a great population of marine wildlife and fresh seafood. Kickstart your day with a filling and delicious breakfast at Zeldas. Our top pick for where to stay in Santa Cruz for nightlife, this area is bursting with bars, restaurants and clubs where you can enjoy plenty of after-dark fun. Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf are touristy, but downtown isn't really - they are all close together though. Even at its warmest, the ocean along the California coast remains cool compared to beaches in the tropics or even Florida. Don't stay at any with "Boardwalk" in the name.. Another excellent option is the Rio Vista Inn & Suites Santa Cruz. The Monerey Bay Aquarium is not to miss there. Why is Santa Cruz warmer than Monterey? Whether or not it is worth it for your family depends on your interests and what you would otherwise be doing with the time spent at the aquarium. If not, may I suggest another helping of Wallace Baine? Carmel Beach is beautiful for romantic walks and just enjoying the view, but the water is cold and rip currents are common. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-77282033', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Monterey/Carmel area. Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California - Located deep in the Santa Cruz Mountains, it is California's oldest state park. For things to see on the Monterey Peninsula see https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g580824-Activities-Monterey_Peninsula_California.html Take State Park Drive from Hwy 1. 7.7 Good 206 reviews. We really appreciate & are super excited about our adventure! I would choose one location and spend 2 nights. Your laptop deserves a proper pack, and we know a good few! There may be homeless, but they are everywhere now. It is ideally located at the heart of the city and is a quick walk to the restaurants, Santa Cruz attractions and bars of the Downtown, the Boardwalk and Midtown neighbourhoods. This hostel has comfortable beds, modern amenities and boasts a friendly, welcoming and social atmosphere. What do you think? Monterey is more coastal - there are some beaches too, but the coastline is rocky so the focus is more on scenery and wildlife. Or spend a night or two in both to maximize your time on the coast. Monterey is more coastal - there are some beaches too, but the coastline is rocky so the focus is more on scenery and wildlife. Santa Cruz has the advantage of being about an hour. Los Angeles to Monterey via Hwy 101/1 - concerns Best places to eat in Monterey and or Carmel area, Holiday Inn Express Monterey-Cannery Row, an IHG Hotel, InterContinental the Clement Monterey, an IHG Hotel. And yes, the water is cold. Explore the streets, shops and bars of colourful Capitola Village. The coastline is rockier and generally more scenic, and although there are some beaches, Monterey isn't really a beach town - its focus is more on sailing/boating, fishing, and marine life. We have interest in outdoor eating, swimming/lounging on the beach, live music and natures beauty (but we're not huge hikers or anything). This is north of the Boardwalk area. The other difference between the areas you mention is that Carmel is higher-end real estate. netllama 7 yr. ago The driving time between Monterrey & Santa Cruz is about an hour. It offers easy access throughout the neighbourhood and is close to restaurants, the beach and bars. Mornings going north, afternoon going south. This is also the best area in Santa Cruz to stay in for nightlife. View details, map and photos of this residential lots property with 0 bedrooms and 0 total baths. Alternatively, you may use, Holiday Inn Express & Suites Santa Cruz, an IHG Hotel. 2. Since youre staying two nights in Big Sur you can easily see Monterey while there. For Sale - 7855 Monterra Oaks Rd, Monterey, CA - $1,900,000. This hotel has 49 cosy, clean and comfortable rooms. You can pretty much expect all indoor attractions to be closed until conditions improve markedly. Avila Beach is warm in that area. My plan now is to drive up from Pasadena to San Simeon via hwy 5 and then pick up hwy 1. Located at the north end of Monterey Bay, Santa Cruz is a relaxed and laid-back city known as a counterculture and artistic hub with a bohemian feel and youthful vibes. It is worth a half day plus to go to Monterey, see the acquarium, (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? To find warm water beaches in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Our decision now is what to do with the THREE DAYS we have. This excellent three-star hotel is set in central Midtown, one of the best places in Santa Cruz to stay for nightlife. Theyve been doing it since 2002 protecting, connecting, and inspiring independent travellers just like you. Thanks to yall we decided to spend the first two days in SF, then two days in Santa Cruz & visit Carmel during our stay if we need a change of scenery and then back to SF on Friday (since we fly out saturday morning we figured we might as well be closer to the airport). From Monterey to Santa Cruz expect a slow down through Moss Landing. Seattle's most famous hotel, The Edgewater, is right along the waterfront, and a perfect way to relax before a long multi-day drive. Were not sure if theyre closed for good but we hope theyll come back soon. We spend a lot of time in the (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Walking in Carmel reminded me of being in a European town with it's interesting storefronts, side streets and small nooks and crannies. Both are good choices, it really depends on the atmosphere that you want. Edited: 01 June . ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-63171502', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, an old fashioned, classy amusement park 101 years old, and a steam train, Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad, near Henry Cowell ,which makes trips up the hill through redwoods, as well as making trips into town to the Boardwalk. You can whale watch from either town. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better room in a better location than at the Wayfarer (12 E. Montecito St., 805/845-1000, dorm beds $50-90, private rooms $200-300). It also boasts plenty of shops, restaurants, bars and landmarks. Right now, It's all a bit overwhelming so if anyone could help me figure out what's best I would really really appreciate it! We do not represent World Nomads. In short, Santa Cruz is without a doubt one of Californias best-kept secrets. It will be warmer here, so if you want a beach day this is your place. So since it sounds like you are heading on your trip at the end of August, please be aware that there is the Soberanes fire burning in Big Sur and it is not expected to be fully contained until the end of the month. However, just to confuse things I believe that they have merged the two into "Twin Lakes State Beach". Yall are great! The room is spacious, with a comfy bed and has a private bathroom. Required fields are marked *. Eat incredible and fresh seafood, pasta and more at Caf Rio. I have lived through this, having moved here in 1970 and been involved in the University and I am very tired of hearing Santa Cruz described as having a "hippie vibe", C'mon, you guys. I've just now been informed that the beach isn't really safe to swim in. Both are good choices. Since you have plenty of time for the trip from SF to LA, distance isn't a factor. Highway 1 is washed out and closed. Thanks all! Take a taxi from Santa Cruz to Monterey 42.6 miles $140 - $180 Drive 46 min Drive from Santa Cruz to Monterey 42.6 miles $7 - $12 Quickest way to get there Cheapest option Distance between Santa Cruz to Monterey by bus 91 Weekly Buses 4h 10m Average Duration $6 Cheapest Price See schedules Questions & Answers Santa Cruz is more of a classic CA beach town with a surf culture and an eclectic downtown. When we vacation, we hike, bike, kayak, surf, horse-back rideyou get the idea. Santa Cruz and its neighboring towns stretch along 6 miles at the northern edge of the Monterey Bay. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. And for transparencys sake, please know that some of the links in our content are affiliate links. I would also use this term to describe the Haight Ashbury neighborhood generically. Obviously the true hippies have moved on but the areas still have a bit of that feel and try and remain colorful as opposed to going mainstream. The seaside town of Santa Cruz is one of the coolest places in California. We were in CA last June and stayed in Santa Cruz, and visited the Aquarium. Answer 1 of 15: Hi - I'm traveling to California early next August. A lot of people try to do the drive with only 1 or maybe 2 overnights, so splitting the trip more or less evenly becomes important, but with your plan, that's not an issue. Manresa isn't as good for swimming though. Part of the trip will include a trip up hwy 1. Visit the free-admission Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for a day of fun, games, rides, sweets, treats and so much more. Maybe that's why he's in love with the Andes, where you'll find him in the local cafs ordering the. 831-372 . This neighbourhood is also our best recommendation for where to stay in Santa Cruz with kids because it has a great variety of family-friendly fun, activities and adventures. It seems like there are lots of mom and pop hotels. Id say Santa Cruz is aimed at a younger audience. Your first stop should be the classic Californian beach town of Santa Cruz. I can't tell you the length of time from Cambria to Santa Cruz as we stopped along the way for pics and had lunch at (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Twin Lakes Beach is a good one. I'll also say that Monterey is nice if you're traveling with kids because of the Aquarium and the really cool Dennis the Menace playground, both of which we visited with our then 18-month-old son. Monterey is more coastal - there are some beaches too, but the coastline is rocky so the focus is more on scenery and wildlife. Monterey Properties; Santa Clara Properties; Santa Cruz Properties; Fresno Properties; Short Term Rentals; List Your Rental; Residents; Owners; Contact; Blog; FAQs; Pay Rent. I'm planning on staying 2 nights and then heading to. Note that nightlife is laregely confined to weekends in Santa Cruz. 10:00 am start in Santa Cruz drive for about 47 minutes. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-41178810', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');California you have to be south of Point Conception, which is just north of Santa Barbara. Monterey Hotel Deals; On I-5 from Pasadena, you'll have to go over the Grapevine, which is what I-5 is called where it goes through the mountains just north of the LA basin - every semi-truck in the Western US seems to go over this pass. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs nearby, and the beach is just a short walk away. The Santa Cruz area includes the towns of Santa Cruz, Aptos, Capitola, and Soquel. The earliest known filming took place in Monterey in 1897, compared to Santa Cruz's first foray into film in 1915. Situated south of Downtown, the Boardwalk spans the seaside and is home to buzzing attractions, busy restaurants, and cosy cafes. Theres also a laundry service and pool on-site. At Pitney Bowes, we do the right thing, the right way. Compare 580 hotels in Santa Cruz using 17,179 real guest reviews. From $113.05 per night. And finally, Aptos is the best area in Santa Cruz to stay in for families because it has excellent beaches and outdoor activities as well as great dining, shopping and sightseeing. Theres also complimentary wifi. This is our first trip alone in quite a few years & I want it be fun, romantic & relaxing! Flexible booking options on most hotels. Your email address will not be published. Yes, finding a room which would hold a family of 6 is definitely a problem. I don't know Santa Cruz beaches well enough to speak with authority, but Monterey Peninsula area beaches aren't especially safe for swimming. We were in CA last June and stayed in Santa Cruz, and visited the Aquarium. A big construction project is starting on the bridge over the Santa Cruz harbor in September. The wharf and cannery row are more prominent in Monterey, and the aquarium is a big draw. Right now Highway 1 isn't passable through the Big Sur area due to a road wash out. Earn free nights and get our Price Guarantee - booking has never been easier on Hotels.com! Either on your way to Big Sur, part of your day in Big Sur or on your way to 101. There are loads of places that are great for family days out, and of course, the beach. It is centrally located and within walking distance of the beach. Even better, a night stay comes with free use of one of the motel's beach bikes. Princess or sanctuary cruises (Whale watching). The downtown areass of Monterey and Carmel are nicer. 400 plus pictures, but I digress. Also, can any give me some input on hwy1 from LA up to San Simeon. Monterey has more going for it than Santa Cruz in terms of things to do as one can easily do Carmel, Pacific Grove, Carmel Valley, and Big Sur from there too. Both are great. Do you have any recommendations? You could easily spend 5-7 days in the Carmel/PG/Monterey/Big Sur area. Is the aquarium in Monterey worth going to? . Drink fresh and handcrafted beers at the Seabright Brewery. Get excited here are our best recommendations for where to stay in Santa Cruz, California, USA. Is Santa Cruz or Monterey more expensive? Santa Cruz has a more tie-dye and granola feel . It has a great central location and is within walking distance of bars, bistros and the beach. We took 101 from LA to Canbria and it was just a gorgeous drive..I wouldn't have imagined that. Edited to add that near Henry Cowell state park is Roaring Camp Railroad, which is a narrow gauge steam train that takes people on rides through the redwoods. Request additional information, schedule a showing, save to your property organizer. Best deals for Monterey Bay Aquarium tickets? Check out the Mnin-Mokre, Voivodia de Santa Cruz, Polnia WinterCast. Things to Do. Th most breathtaking of Highway 1 is when you leave the Cambria area for the next 2hours. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-63172030', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');car ride. The Midtown/Seabright neighbourhood is packed with bustling bars and buzzing breweries where you can enjoy a laidback drink or two. The beautiful interior design will make you feel comfortable and at home. Monterey (Spanish: Monterrey; Ohlone: Aacistak) is a city located in Monterey County on the southern edge of Monterey Bay on California's Central Coast. Looking for a specific place to stay? :) Report inappropriate content november_moon San Jose, California Destination Expert for California Level Contributor 24,123 posts 138 reviews 71 helpful votes 8. In this Santa Cruz neighbourhood guide, well look at the best places to stay based on what you want to do. :) Can anyone help me figure out what is the best way to plan this?? Alternatively, you may use, Holiday Inn Express Monterey-Cannery Row, an IHG Hotel, InterContinental the Clement Monterey, an IHG Hotel. It has great shopping, delicious dining, buzzing nightlife and some of the most beautiful beaches in the state. We arrive Monday afternoon and leave Saturday morning out of the San Francisco airport. One person's must-see can be another person's meh. Monterey is more coastal than beachy, if that makes sense. What is your next planned stop and how many days/nights total do you have for the coastal section of your trip? Santa Cruz is just a 45-minute drive from the historic waterfront town of Monterey and is situated alongside the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, one of the largest marine sanctuaries in the United States.This protected ocean environment extends for 276 miles along the coastline and provides habitat for 36 . It's a small, funky lil beach town with shops, casual restaurants & beach access. The best one is the Best Western Plus All Suites Inn, further down on Ocean Street. But, despite its small size, choosing the best neighbourhood to stay in Santa Cruz can be a challenge. Driving the coast from SF to LA. Downtown is quite historic - Monterey was the first capitol of CA and there are several buildings from that time in the Monterey Historic Park and through downtown. The great whites should be in their summer residence in Aptos by then, they usually show up in April, and if that interests you they can be seen from the sand or there are boat tours. I've put together a San Francisco city guide to give you some ideas. Have a fun trip! Founded on June 3, 1770, it was the capital of Alta California under both Spain and Mexico. I do not recommend staying at a hotel right near the Boardwalk, but there are some good ones nearer the Municipal Wharf, specifically the joie d'vivre Dream Inn, the Seaview Inn, the West Cliff Inn (a Victorian Bed and Breakfast) and a couple more. This article was written by travellers for travellers. My biggest problem is finding rooms that accommodate 6. These are our 3 favourite hotels in Santa Cruz: Rio Vista Inn & Suites Comfort Inn Boardwalk Hyatt Place Santa Cruz. Have a fun trip! It is only a few years old and is a very nice hotel. Listen to live music at the Kuumbwa Jazz Centre. It is the bordering town to Monterey. Just as close to everything. Hearst Castle is currently closed due to COVID. I'm wondering with four kids (11,9,7,5) should we stay in Monterey or Santa Cruz?