So good! Hi Deb, Im pretty sure its fine, but will a 9 inch round pan work just as well? (I also made it once with peanut butter frosting winner.) I had to add another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Just buy the biggest ones they have. Cake was good too, even though Im not a die hard chocolate lover. I agree with Aunt Vixen. Wonderful cake!!! I just frosted it and now half the cake has disappeared! We are not alone: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/god-of-cake.html, Oh sheesh, I know why my frosting came out grainy (see post 213)I didnt just melt the chocolate first, I melted the butter first too. The cake was delicious and the frosting was AMAZING!!! Thanks for your response! The same thing happened when I tried making the pink lady (strawberry) cake. Just finished making this and am now tucking into a generous slice. Incidentally, I did walk into every cupcake store and bakery during my first pregnancy. Deb does it again!!! Hi. Deb Question about measuring. So rich, moist and CHOCOLATEY! I want it to taste good, but the birthday girl (a 6 year old) wants a very specific design. Ive loved every single Smitten Kitchen recipe Ive tried, and these are no exception. Shouldnt matter, right? I find melting and cooling the chocolate to be the most annoying task, and have seen recipes that simply call for cocoa powder instead. ), the perfect cake to whip up the night before youve decided to take cake to celebrate 2 years at your current job (woot!) Its very forgiving as well, we are moving (hence stressed-out me really needed cake immediately!) It's chocolate-flavored and naturally red, and the texture is so dense and moist that only a little frosting is required between the layers, and that frosting is whipped mascarpone cheese - or cream cheese. If I use wine, should I replace all the buttermilk with it? I keep Guinness & cocoa powder on hand all the time just in case. Pinch of fine sea salt (optional) I noticed that you put less white sugar in this than your Everyday chocolate cake (which I adore). Thanks! I live at 5000ft, so I added an extra 2Tbs of buttermilk, cut the baking powder down by 1/8tsp (to 3/8 tsp), and baked about 10 degrees higher for more like 30 minutes. Did I need to do that? Pour the batter into a nine-inch round cake pan and bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes until the surface looks matte and a cake tester comes out clean. Recipes. I took these to a party and they received rave reviews! In another bowl, whisk together sour cream, corn syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth. with chocolate buttercream, but lets be real. I dont even like frosting but Im drooling at the sight of yours! Hosted by Pressable. Is the replacement 1:1 with buttermilk? I tried to make this cake, but the batter curdled when I added the thinned yogurt No need to sift if you cocoa isnt lumpy; I think the brand I use just fairly consistently is. Thank you! You are amazing and my go-to for any recipe! It turned out amazing, just as advertised, and I enjoyed eating it a lot :p. I am a nervous cake baker but I would like to make this for my sons bday in a few days. Several typos in my comment, whoops! Im curious, though, is there no formatting to just see the recipe for printing or just to simplify viewing while trying to make. The cake itself isnt very sweet, in hopes to provide contrast. Katie I think buttercreams with melted chocolate are better, or, at least I love this one most of all. Im the only one here! ;) Tonight get to share it with friends. What do you think? It came out and was amazingly not burnt (I suspect my oven is a bit underpowered.) I cant wait to get all the ingredients and bake this cake! Thank you for the cake recipe, the sprinkles really catch the eye! Fun at I dont have Dutch cocoa so used standard and didnt feel it was lacking all. I was just about to make a batch of chocolate fudge, but now Im torn. Its easy, moist, bakes in 25 min. I still have half of your Moms apple cake in my cake caddy so this will probably have to wait until the weekend but I am definitely making this! boyperson also always complains that our apartment is coldi hadnt noticed until i realized the butter on the counter wasnt soft. Thanks. ), Its there Add the egg, yolk and vanilla and beat until combined, then the buttermilk and mix again. :). One of Debs many charms is that her recipes are accessible, using easily-obtained ingredients. Slightly adjusted ingredients, same effect. This cake is a delight. I love the sweeping shapes in the frosting. Thank you for the recipe and inspiration. Absolutely delicious, no matter what youre celebrating. Kim Whooooops! Kate Check out overstock.com. I just searched your site for the answer! I believe its acidic as well, which youll need when using baking soda. Ive never made a red wine and chocolate cake, but it sounds super yum how does it change the flavour? One of those great Smitten Kitchen recipes that encourages me to make something I wouldnt have otherwise made, and turns out great, even though I was sure I messed it up! My name for this cake is Why Havent You Baked Me Earlier Cake. Ive made this a few times and it always seems a little on the dry side. 8-inch squares and 9-inch rounds have roughly the same bottom area, and roughly double that of a 6-inch round. Looks great. Can you explain how you choose a pan when doubling a recipe? Hi I am trying to figure out how to adapt this to fit a 10.5 inch cake pan. All in all, not a problem. Simple, rich, delicious, perfect. Yes, thats totally normal here. Thank you! Ill update accordingly, suggesting you just mix it until smooth. Often I skip the frosting and its still good. Do you have any adjustments for high altitude? I have a daughter who would love this but is gluten free. Instead, I used almond milk (since thats what was in my fridge). Obviously, I had to test a spoonful or two. You can eat a square without feeling any guilt. I riffed off your frosting to make rocky road frosting by adding mini marshmallows and chopped toasted pecans. Has anyone made the fudgy sheet cake and if so, how do you think it compares? Bake for 18 to 22 minutes (updated, based on feedback) 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Its not too sweet and the texture is incredible! I am having trouble printing the recipe. Scrape down bowl then process for another 1 to 2 minutes (updated based on feedback) just until smooth and somewhat fluffed. Thank you. see? I made if for my daughters third birthday and it was a hit among kids and adults alike. Thank you SO much for this recipe! I could swap out the butter for margarine, but wasnt sure what would work to replace the buttermilk. If round, 8. I didnt originally have dutch cocoa powder and thought about using natural, but ended up re-stocking my dutch cocoa and im glad I did. Really, I tried to come up with a less cumbersome title, but chocolate cake with chocolate frosting doesnt connote the central urgency here. Yes. Made it last weekend. I dont often write but I want to express my gratitude for Smitten Kitchen, Deb, and this cake. How would you adapt this frosting for other flavors? 2. Great little cake, so nice to have something smaller and delicious! Saving this recipe for when my next chocolate craving hits.and hoping I can eat real food again in the near future! My boys and I made this tonight. ), as written, with great success every time! chocolate peanut butter cup cookies. Its cooling but Im so nervous its going to be dry, *swoon* How hard was it to take those gorgeous pictures of the finished and then sliced cake without pouncing on them first?? Fabulous. thank you, deb, for the small chocolate cake! TMI? I`ll use a 6 inch pan and wondering how to adjust the baking time. I love your recipes! Completely organic and perfect. So you cream the butter & sugar, then add egg and the buttermilk. Hope thats an ok combo. It looks incredible. I did not overbake though and it came out moist and perfect. Ive been halving bundt cakes for years (very easy to do as all ingredients are easy to cut in half and bake in my junior bundt pan), and Id like this smaller chocolate cake (I halve to halve it :) ) but am at a loss. Im also pregnant and wanted chocolate cake so badly last week that I was practically begging anyone who would listen to bring some to me! I usually make it in an 88 square. Thanks Deb!!! Turns out baby now had taste buds! Today my work email was hacked and my computer was down for several hours so I baked this cake, because obviously it was a day that NEEDED CAKE. I have 2 teenage boys. I look forward to giving this one a try too. Im not sure which area I am suppose to add the 1/2 tea of vanilla too. Oh, and funny how I only noticed the s shapes after I read your notes on how to swirl the frosting ;), I made this last night and it is amazing. Thanks for such a beautiful site Deb. Thanks DEB!!!! Even the kiddies liked it! Make the frosting: Place frosting ingredients in a food processor and run machine to to mix. I mean, just look at this cake!! This will definitely be in my regular rotation of dessert recipes. Do let it clabber for 10 to 15 minutes for a thicker texture. My daughters licked the frosting bowl clean! My three year old and I are going to make this cake for him. This ultra-moist chocolate cake is deep and rich in flavor and best served with whipped cream and toasted hazelnuts. Its not the same but it probably wont destroy the cake or anything. Ive been dreaming of my late mothers chocolate cake lately (yes, dreaming!) But seriously, that post about the carvel ice cream cake weeks ago is still haunting me. It is good to note that dried butter milk plus water works in this recipe. I noticed Mels comment, but was wondering if you have any ideas about making this frosting without a hand/ stand mixer. I doubled this recipe using the weights instead of volume measurements and it turned out great. Thanks. Its one of the only ingredients I splurge on; I ruined myself by trying it in the first place. Aarthi I havent, but it sounds really good. Better to make triple the batter and divide it between 4 pans. I need enough frosting for a three layer cake 8 inch rounds. Made this twice! I froze it and it thawed out great. 1 / 4 teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt. Thanks for this! Make these for someone you love today! I added a heaping teaspoon of expresso powderDELICIOUS AND EASY. Im not much of a baker. I think you could go as far as to triple this but as quadrupled, it would be crazy tall. I actually made the frosting last night with 70% Green & Blacks dark chocolate, and it actually came out almost savory! Also can you recommend a baking pan for this cake? Melissa Yes, double the ingredients, including the frosting if youre looking to cover the sides as well. This post could not have been more timely! happy days all the way from Ireland. Deb, you so perfectly describe what I experienced with food when I was pregnant!! This is something that a chocolate lover should try! 1 tablespoon / 13 g granulated sugar I am making your fudgy chocolate cake and golden vanilla cakes from your 2nd cookbook this week and I am so curious as to why, in your book recipes, you sprinkle the leavening agents on the batter instead of putting them in with the flour/cocoa or flour cornstarch mixture as you do in this recipe? Your site is consistently the best food site on the entire internet. (!!!) Update: went ahead and tried it anyways it was definitely enough for the naked cake look, ie just inside and on top! As it should be.). At 38 weeks, Ive decided I really should eat whatever I want, especially things that might cause problems when I start breast feeding in a couple weeks. This is what makes you, YOU!! One year ago: Morning Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel (you should totally make it this weekend) Can I do part yogurt and part coffee? Im not normally a chocolate cake person, but Ive been crazy for it this week. Followed the recipe exactly and made 14 cupcakes (baked for 19 minutes). I agree that it can make a passable thickness for a 913, but clearly, I was going for excess here. I make my vanilla one in the food processor too. Its as 8 spring form pan by the way. Time will confirm. This is one of my favourite recipes from my mom! Not sure what else I could do if I sifted the sugar and it was still chunky! And so, my absolutely wonderful husband made it for me! #allhailpi! Deb, how is it that you can take the most simple chocolate cake and make it look so amazing that I think that I will just die if I dont go make it right now, even though its nearly 11 p.m.? Any insight? Hi Deb! Made with my daughter while snowed in yesterday. Held up great and was perfect. For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two 9-inch round cake pans with oil and dust with flour. I wasnt sure. Put the chocolate, butter, and salt in a large microwave safe bowl. Cant wait to give my kids a treat!!! Batter was quite runny; no worries. It came together simply and easily. Thank you, for this recipe! I was brought to tears. Ive had so much trouble finding good ones. I bet you could put in the same amount of cinnamon, for a Mexican chocolate vibe.). They baked for about 20 minutes. Thanks for your wonderful blog and mazes tov on your pregnancy! Also melted chocolate for a chocolate buttercream frosting?! Yummy! How I like to swirl frosting: I always use a small offset spatula (have I convinced you to buy one yet? I used labneh in place of the buttermilk since we didnt have any, plus two Tbsp coffee. I just made this with gluten free 1:1 replacement flour for a friend for her birthday and it was so good and so moist. Wow theses foods look so amazing!! My husband usually dislikes cake because its too sweet, but he had two pieces last night (as did I). 3/4 cup banana + 1/4 cup buttermilk. Baby is now 3 months. (Also a ridiculous amount of red dye and a little fondant because we used a 9 circular pan and made Elmo.). And congratulations! I am off to the store to get the ingredients I need right now. Cake Deb, seriously why do ever try another cake recipe that isnt from your site? They are DELICIOUS! I never found it, and was too lazy to try to make it (im never satisfied with my own baked goods anyway). I do so love other grown women who know that the necessity of rainbow sprinkles is a real thing. This cake would feed one of them, maybe 2 if they were forced to share. I even went digging in our cabinets last night to see if we had any unsweetened chocolate around (alas, no) because I was feeling it so strongly! chocolatey without being overwhelmingly rich (and thus, every excuse for a second slice ;-)). salted butter chocolate chunk shortbread . This morning, however, it has settled down some and is more balanced and its firmer. Did you see the Tasting Table chocolate cake recipe from a few days ago? I made this a few weeks ago, and made the frosting as written whereas normally I use powdered cocoa. only asked about the choc sub to see if i could use what i already had on hand. I weighed & added the ingredients for the frosting. I cant see the notes regarding the buttermilk options. but because when I found my perfect one-bowl chocolate cake (which weve made as an everyday loaf, then riffed as a fudgy layered sheet cake and red wine chocolate wonder, I promise, I can stop anytime) and ridiculously easy fudgy chocolate buttercream, there was no need to keep looking. My friends, family and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very very much :) Thanks for a perfect chocolate cake recipe! 1 egg 14 cupcakes. Could I sub cake flour for ap flour? Hi! Stephanie i usually just stick the butter in the microwave for 10 seconds (not more), Deb, I recently bought your cookbook here in Dublin (Ireland, not Ohio), and it looks so, so great. Youll want to make 4x this recipe; it makes 1 dozen. Well, this looks just perfect. Hi Deb, love your blog and it is my go to for everything cooking-related. At grocery stores, I find Droste to be very solid for a dutch-process. And eat it too.!! Many people had seconds. And so easy to make. But why did I have little bits of chocolate in the frosting? You never disappoint. Sneha If the knife isnt batter-free (i.e. Give It To Me Right Now Cake. And the cardio/working out/yoga that followed. However, it can lead to structural issues with a frosting like this (mostly just softer) and because sugar provides moisture in cakes, removing too much will make it seem dry. It evokes something so real and essential. Every recipe I have made has turned out delicious and has brought a smile to his face. Its a very busy page, even with my ad blocker, so itd be nice if you could put up a Print Recipe link or some other manner to make it more legible. I cant believe I forgot about it ever, and I gave a lot of catching up to do! Thank you for posting the time you cooked the cupcakes! This recipe is a keeper! Perfect you can have two slices and one for breakfast the next day. I have to say, however, that the part about cutting it into 16 pieces made us laugh and laugh and laugh! Or the book! The first two attempts were as the recipe said, the third with replacing 1/2C of buttermilk with coffee. I MUST HAVE CHOCOLATE CAKE. My son is 7 months old and the craving still pops up now and then. I was hoping someone had made it in 6 rounds and had figured out the number of pans!