Oakland, CA (February 28, 2023) - One vehicle has fled the scene following a motor vehicle accident in the Longfellow section of Oakland that left at least one person injured on Monday morning, February 27. 18,000 local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. Violent Crime Comparison (per 1,000 residents), Property Crime Comparison (per 1,000 residents). The areas between Seminary and Brookfield Village were dubbed The Killing Zone or The Killing Fields, Theres a saying in Oakland, "Anywhere by the lake, and youre fine. Oaklands crime rate is nearly 4 times greater than the national average. The 1,250 sq. I ended up getting a 1br apt on Broadway a few blocks north of 51st. And then compare to the hostel at Fort Mason, on a knoll near the Golden Gate Bridge in a beautiful park. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the . (2022 Crime Rate And Crime Stats), Is Key West Safe? No, I don't think so," Britton said. Few other communities of this size have a crime rate as high as Oakland. MacArthur Commons 540 39th St, Oakland , CA 94609 Mosswood 4.6 (28 reviews) Verified Listing Today 510-288-5190 Monthly Rent $2,243 - $3,853 Bedrooms Studio - 2 bd Bathrooms 1 - 2 ba Square Feet 379 - 1,251 sq ft MacArthur Commons Transportation Points of Interest Move-in Special Up to 10 Weeks Free! This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. I'm going to reserve what I'll find both affordable and accaptable, on condition it can be cancelled without penalty, and then look for something even better. MacArthur Station 555 40th Street, Oakland, CA 94609 MacArthur Station is a major BART transfer point near the commercial heart of Temescal, one of north Oakland's oldest neighborhoods. In 2021 Oakland reported 25,393 property crimes and had a property crime rate of 5,853.31 per 100,000 people. The top traffic calming solutions would also include improving crosswalks with flashing lights or better timed signals, building parklets, adding bike lanes, and widening traffic lanes. One of the things that helps though is it's a lot of commuters from up in Pinole and stuff will drive there and take BART in. Just don't stay in Oakland. One specific place to watch out for that local highlight is the Coliseum area: if you go to attend a game, dont hang around the area much longer at night. The area houses less than 2,000 residents, yet over 16,300 drivers and 11,350 AC Transit riders pass through daily. Cyclist killed by AC Transit bus in 2010 due to insufficient space between parking and traffic lane. I just moved into MacArthur Commons a month ago and I had the pleasure of working with Jessica. in 27 reviews, The staff has been very courteous and nice especially Tashayla who set us with a great apartment. in 11 reviews, This a great place for commuters due to the fact that MacArthur Bart station is 5 steps away. in 3 reviews. Was contemplating SF but was told the weather is better in Oakland whilst still being close to SF to commute to work. You can also take a look at the Golden Gate hotel http://www.goldengatehotel.com/ Rooms which share a bath (with only 2 other rooms) start at $95. I wouldn't worry about any particular station as long as valuables are not visible, with the possible exception of the Coliseum station because it is located adjacent to one of the worst neighborhoods in the entire Bay Area. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/eby/apa?query=Oakland+north&availabilityMode=0&sale_date=all+dates. And if neither of those works for you, come back for more help. EXISTING CONDITIONS The project will remediate old industrial infrastructure outlined below and close the gap in OakDOTs Master Bike Plan. "Trust me.". Also, Covid has thrown a bunch of stuff off too. Updated annually. Date(s) & Update Frequency: A portable charger ensures youve got enough battery to find your way home or back to your friends if you get split up. 12th and 19th are a little misleading because the foot traffic there is so much greater so per person it looks inflated. Therefore, if youre visiting the city for a short period of time, or want to book a place there when visiting San Francisco, you shouldnt hesitate. In 2021, Oakland had a violent crime rate of 1,505.91 per 100,000 people. The Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) is repaved MacArthur Boulevard between 73rd Avenue and 83rd Avenue in Spring 2021. Your email address will not be published. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. $1,400,000. 10850 MacArthur Oakland,CA 94605 T. 510.875.2300 F. 510.875.2310 E. info@haartoakland.org 2,589 sqft. Damage to storefronts forcing temporary or prolonged closure of businesses on at least four occasions in 2020. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Oakland is one in 80. (Crime Rates and Crime Stats), Is Atlanta Safe To Visit? Also where in Dimond is parking plentiful? Although there are exceptions to this rule and if you are unfamiliar with the area, stay North of 580 and East of Telegraph will simplify life. I am familiar with both areas. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-15861341', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');San Francisco, not Oakland. If you want to stay out after the event, move on to other areas for post-game celebrations (or commiserations). San Francisco holds the glory as the Bay Area city, but its actually only one metropolis in the area. One behind peets on fritvale as well as on the other side of the street behind tmobile and another behind Wells Fargo. This area has undergone an impressive transformation and improvement in the last 15 years. . 6 dirtymack 2 yr. ago Depends on your age and threshold for noise and general activity/traffic. THe dangerous parts of Oakland are far east and far west around projects, everywhere else is just normal dangerousness of a big city. Physical separation is needed to help to avoid this. However, louder than the crowds at the Oakland Coliseum are the jarring crime stats. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-15842624', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');San Francisco. (510) 771-0351. Would I want to leave my kid here? It's not bad though. Whatever you do, stay away from West Oakland. Much like any other big city, there are areas that are relatively safe and there areas that you should avoid at all cost. You may have noticed that Downtown Oakland is not on our list of most dangerous neighborhoods in Oakland a reassuring thought. Many of the incidents happen during business hours when pedestrian traffic is highest and have caused incidents such as: Closing Gaps in City of Oakland Master Bike Plan: Our planS.L.O.W. "Match Any Neighborhood" calculates the Match Level of one neighborhood to another using more than 200 characteristics of each neighborhood. Year after year, it ranks high on the most dangerous cities in the United States list. MacArthur Blvd Oakland CA 94602. There is a lot of crime and not enough police around. Dimond has LOtS of parking! A driver being killed after colliding with a street tree at an excessive speed in 2018. Montclair is a quiet, sleepy area with a mountain town vibe. Every BART station has had its issues. Year over year crime in Oakland has decreased by 16%. Simply dont carry your phone in your back pocket and youre already more likely to hold on to all your belongings. Mostly property crime and some muggings. When visiting a new city that youre unfamiliar with, its easier to get home quickly and safely even if it means spending a fiver. Vehicles are forced to crowd the parking lane causing unsafe conditions. What time does the parking garage usually fill up on weekdays? I only know the neighborhood from what I see out the window of BART, but the area seems pretty bleak. In order to designate parts of Oakland as dangerous you must first define "danger" for yourself. . have their pros and cons. In case of my offer being accepted I am charged full amount. This is possible by associating the 9.4 million reported crimes in the U.S, including over 2 million geocoded point locations. Most of Oakland is totally safe and the dangerous parts of Oakland is noticeable and easy to avoid. Even if it were in a great part of town we'd suggest you look around and try to find something in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? There's some good food around there. Bart stop: Fruitvale Station is the closest stop, however, you'll have to take another bus to reach the neighborhood (see actransit.org) Bus lines: 54, 14, 805, NL, NX, NX2, NXC, 57. (Crime Rates And Crime Stats), Is Tampa, Florida Safe? I would stay away from West Oakland and Im male and well versed in bad neighborhoods. Laurel [Safe Livable Open Welcoming Laurel]will connect a vital City of Oakland transportation project LAAMPS (Laurel Access to Mills, Maxwell Park and Seminary) at High Street and the The City of Oaklands Master Bicycle Plan (Lets Bike Oakland) with dedicated bike lanes west of 35th and east of High St, creating linkage to Downtown Oakland, West Oakland, and East Oakland, and procuring a safe and inviting commercial corridor in The Laurel District by reducing 4 traffic lanes to 2 on a section of MacArthur Blvd. If you are coming so far to visit, you want to be right there so you can enjoy it, not be zooming around on BART the whole time. The community is recognized as the 8th most diverse zip code in the nation, where a majority of residents are Black and Asian, together making up more than 66 percent of the total population. That being said, many do recommend ordering a taxi or ride share to get home at night. View more property details, sales history and Zestimate data on Zillow. Welcome to The MAC! Closer to the lake is best and anything else I'd just avoid. Noise & CO2 pollution would decline as well. If you know certain event spaces, restaurants, or friends houses youre going to, look up more info on the neighborhood. Its better to take a longer way around if its well lit and more people are walking it. My child went here from kindergarten through 3rd grade and when Sis. Walking alone at night is always a risky activity in an urban area. Connections between the lines are timed for southbound passengers, while 19th Street Oakland is the transfer point for northbound service. Options to Oakland Airport from Union Square. This is a significant safety impediment for vehicles, busses, and cyclists for reasons including: Less than 2,000 residents live in the area, yet over 16,300 drivers and 11,350 AC Transit riders pass through the Laurel District daily. Art classes are fantastic and my kid is literarily drawing for a good 10 min before doing her math or English practice- just lovely to see. Jebus, you Redditors of Oakland are a scared and confused bunch. MacArthur Commons Apartments, located in the historic Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, offers pet-friendly studio, one, and two-bedroom apartment homes with all the amenities you need to call The MAC your new home. Have had some conversations with staff. Heres a graph showing you how Oaklands crime rate compares the most dangerous cities in the U.S. With many colleges and universities in the area, as well as young professionals starting out, there are many men and women who live alone in the city without fearing for their everyday existence. OK to stay in Oakland for visit to San Francisco? Seems like a nice quiet place to live. Separately, it is always interesting and important to compare a city's crime rate with those of similarly sized communities - a fair comparison as larger cities tend to have more crime. Traffic Lane Width is Too Narrow and Not to Code: The four traffic lanes are especially narrow, originating from MacArthur Blvd. He also spent five years reporting at KRON 4. , so there is usually plenty of open spots to sit. Communitys input was considered via community surveys and a road diet evaluation was conducted with Mills College in 2018. Piedmont is probably the safest, but good luck finishing anything to rent there. [4] The station included several pieces of public art: an abstract mural by Mark Adams over a staircase (which Adams later replaced with two murals after the stairs were removed for an elevator in 2000), and tile mosaics by Adams and Alfonso Pardias in the fare lobby. Chinatown has a lot of good restaurants but I don't know anyone who actually lives there. We lived in Temescal for two years (3 blocks from MacArthur Bart). The City is taking advantage of this planned paving project to also install safety and traffic-calming improvements at locations along MacArthur Boulevard. Do your research. It feels like the crack days of the 80s. You want to stay IN (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? I really hope to see this plan implemented fully, and soon. Even those, if your primary destination is S.F., are not that convenient. ft. condo is a 3 bed, 4.0 bath unit. Civic Center, Coliseum, Bay Fair and Pittsburg . All the trademarks displayed on this page are the property of Location, Inc. From 1-580 W, exit at MacArthur Blvd/High Street, and continue on Macarthur Blvd. Many of the incidents happen during business hours when pedestrian traffic is highest and have caused tragedies such as: The four traffic lanes are especially narrow, originating from when MacArthur Blvd. El Cerrito del Norte is the first stop on the. It also had a property crime rate of 5,853.31 per 100,00 people, which is nearly 3 times greater than the national average. Copyright 2000-2023 Location Inc. Watch out, those poor people will getcha! Violent Not only was Harold delightful, he took an abundant amount of time to show me various units, prospectus . In Oakland, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 17, which is a rate of 57 per one thousand population. I was ready to pay $62.40 per night (before tax). Get answers to your questions about Oakland. We are aware of the fact that WYGIWYPF (What You Get Is What You Pay For) but WYTIWYCA (What You Take Is What You Can Afford). By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. on BART. MacArthur station has two island platforms and four tracks, allowing cross-platform interchanges between lines. West Oakland seems to be an improvement though it's a grocery desert. (within four blocks, going straight down on 40th Street). For Sale: 2 beds, 1 bath 1153 sq. Everything You Wanted To Know About Los Angeles Skid Row. These include Early Bird Express route 705, Emery-Go-Round buses serving Emeryville, the Caltrans Bay Bridge Bike Shuttle, three Kaiser Shuttle routes, and four Alta Bates shuttle routes.[16][17]. I lived in the Longfellow neighborhood across the freeway and really enjoyed it. There is no established best practice or evidence of effective engineering treatments to prevent this type of dangerous driving behavior, and any of the hundreds of intersections in Oakland are theoretically a potential location for sideshows, "donuts" or stunt driving. Some are walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach, while others are closer to the Presidio. This corridor poses real safety issues that are not too complicated to address. Additionally, OakDOT received a Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) Grant to widen the sidewalks at key intersections with a record of collisions and safety issues (shown in blue on map at left). Maybe you can suggest some hidden gem no dearer than that? Bay Fair, El Cerrito del Norte, Hayward and Civic Center joined Powell to round out the list of five stations with the most violent crimes in total. Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. The City of Oaklands Master Bicycle Plan (Lets Bike Oakland) would also be accessible. The goal is to address the outlined critical traffic hazards in order to provide a safe environment, with access for all mobilities including motorists, pedestrians, cyclists, and public transit. P.P.S. Alameda not Oakland, but there's a Harbor Bay Ferry Terminal you can walk to that goes into the city so the commute is safe & easy, and crime is way, way . This project will also install a Flashing Pedestrian Beacon at the intersection of Parker and MacArthur to improve safety at this school crosswalk. Our child's learning was suppressed here but is now thriving and thriving without paying tuition!! These studies have resulted in a plan for the "MacArthur Transit Village," a mixed-use development on the eastern side of Route 24 bounded by 40th Street, Telegraph Avenue, and West MacArthur Boulevard. (510) 771-0351. Thank you, this is great! Some stop consolidation or relocation could help. LDA has been working with OakDOT on project readiness and has designated initial funds by working with Mills College to assess the benefit of a lane reduction. Coliseum . We're arriving at SFO at 5:16 PM. If youre visiting Oakland its unlikely youll be out too late. Mariska is a recovering attorney who gave up her professional job to discover new perspectives of life while traveling in a 2009 Ford Transit. They have private rooms for $85 a night available during your stay: http://www.sfhostels.com/fishermans-wharf/. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. West Oakland it also known as a tough area until you pass 40th and then youre in Emeryville, home of Pixar, Leep Frog etc. Select your ideal criteria and let Scout do the rest. I was born and raised in Oakland and it has always been rough, however the homeless problem is really out of control. Website. When looking at a crime map such as the one on Neighborhood Scout, the safest neighborhoods appear to be ENE of Oakland. As with most cities, the general consensus is that the more people that are out at night in certain areas, the more likely you are to be safe. What is the quality of the Verizon Wireless LTE service at the street level?
Ceo Mohawk Valley Health System, How Long Should A Dental Office Keep Eobs, Eclife Gaming Chair Parts, Mary Berry Chicken Curry With Coconut Milk, How Was Penicillin Discovered Oranges, Articles I