More than two million Model 37s have been produced over its 80-year history. More than 300,000 of the .45-caliber guns were made by Ithaca during the war. The gun is in almost new condit, Smith & Wesson Model 37 Airweight, chambered in .38 Special. Sometimes this inertial force is sufficient to set off the primer, thereby firing the round without the operator pulling the trigger. A forum community dedicated to Shotgun owners and enthusiasts including the Remington, Beretta, and Mossberg shotguns brands. It will not slam fire. *Interchangeable barrels began with serial number 855000. That may make a difference to a buyer who wants differing choke selections for these fine pump guns. ITHACA MODEL 8700 12GA DEERSLAYER RIFLED BORE 3 " MAG 12GA, ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA 26" BARREL SMOOTH BORE, Ithaca 37 Ultra Featherlight Slide Shotgun 20ga, Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 20ga 26 Pump Shotgun Recent Production Exc. So, I never sent mine back. There is so much wrong with that guy's gun handling, I don't even know where to begin. In 1937, it was released as the Ithaca 37. Scared the hell out of me, but then I realized it was a cool feature. What year or serial # range did the mod 37 stop being able to slam fire? Serial numbers ranged between 50,000 and 71,999. More than 2 million Model 37s have been produced over the guns 80-year history. S/N: 39375 Mfg. The Model 37 pictured is a late-production 30 " -barreled, 12-ga. example that is unmodified and appears to be unfired. But not to abuse it in anyway either. This shotgun, re-introduced in 1987, will fire upon closing the action. NOTE: Ithaca introduced interchangeable barrels commencing with serial number 850,000 607.273.4510 211 Dey Street, Ithaca, NY 14850 Saturday: 10 AM - 2 PM 1. Suggested retail prices start at $784 for the Home Defense models, $895 for the standard hunting models, $1,020 for the trap guns, $1,145 for 28 gauges, and $1,150 to $1,350 for the Deerslayer models, depending on features. Fawcett, Bill. . The New York City Police Department used 2 versions of the Model 37: one with a 13" barrel with forend hand-strap for its Emergency Service Unit and one with an 18" barrel for its Highway Patrol and solo patrol officers of designated low-crime precincts through a short-lived program spanning from the late 1970s to early 1980s. . Recently picked up a 16 ga 37 w/poly choke the shoots and handles better than expected. Ithaca M37 Defense in 12-gauge. I have two that will not fire with the trigger held back --- 37147xxxx and 37153xxxxx both guns have a "disconnector". For example, did the 1897 have it? Save my name and email to use for future comments. For those of you who arent familiar with the term slamfire, let me enlighten you before you watch the video. The Ithaca 37 is the only preWorld War II shotgun still in production. Winchester decided to go ahead and do their own, but soon found out that the little toggle that opens the bolt to load the first shell was a Browning patent. Features include: J-frame, similar to Model 36 Chiefs Special, except alloy frame and 1 7/8 in. Total length: 38.5". 3% Credit Card Processing Fee will apply. I also have a Remington Model 17, which we know to be the precursor of the Model 37. An LGS has a 37 for $250. the "stub" was removed and iirc the slide stop was altered to pevent the hammer from locking. Gold bead front sight. 2nd Attempt here, first was wiped out during submission? Even without a shell holder, the gun offers 7+1 rounds of awesome power. In 1937, it was released as the Ithaca 37. Has ven, ITHACA MODEL 37 ULTRA FEATHERLIGHT 20 GAUGE 20GA. The original Ithaca Gun Co. of Ithaca, New York, was. Factory Vent Rib. It has a 28-inch ventilated rib barrel. The Model 37 was a big success and went on to have the longest production run of any pump-action shotgun, surpassing that of the Winchester Model 12 which had inspired the 37s very existence. The pump, or slide-action, can do any job well. ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL LENGTH 20 INCH OVER ALL METAL AND WOOD RATES 97% MECHANICS PERFECT. More than one million were produced over its 60-year life-span between 1897 and 1957. Made in many different models, the Ithaca 37 has the longest production run for a pump-action shotgun in history, surpassing that of the Winchester Model 12, the original inspiration for Ithaca's entry into the market. Buyers beware : My son bought a brand new, in the box, model 37 Featherlight 16 ga. pump from an Ithaca dealer in or around 2012-13. Out of stock. As a final note (perhaps!) Seems that there's a lot of Ithaca 37 fans on here so I thought I'd make a post with the serial numbers. Pulling the trigger fires the gun and releases the slide for reloading. The Inland M 37 is based on the original Ithaca Model 37 Trench Gun which was a variation of the Browning Model 17 and features the following: Gauge: .12 gauge / 3" Chamber. Ithaca Acquisition took over the company and moved all the manufacturing to King Ferry, New York. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time Well, the slam fire feature goes all the way back to the Winchester 97. barrel is modi, Excellent condition, light wear and handling marks. Do not know if it would hunt the shotgun or not.My guess would be most likely no, unless it were done alot. I own both and they have plenty of moving parts and safety features to keep the gun from having accidents with misfiring shells while the gun bolt was unlocked, I still have to wonder if it was intentional. Once again, hope. It was designed to be used only with black powder, and after it was on the market for a short time, Winchester had John Browning beef up the receiver and make several internal changes to enable the gun to handle the smokeless propellants higher pressures. They will pump-fire just like the Ithaca Model 37. Free Shipping, No Credit Card Fees. However, law enforcement agencies could order new guns with the slam fire if desired.The Ithaca 37 (or Model 37) is a pump-action shotgun made in large numbers for the civilian, military, and police markets. This, a "slamfire" is an inadvertent discharge due to (usually) a stuck firing pin or inertial pin. About 48,000 Model 1917s were manufactured by the time it was discontinued in 1933 and replaced by the side-ejecting Model 31, which later evolved into the Model 870. Classic Guns: The Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun, Ballistics Basics: Bullet Efficiency And Ballistic Coefficients, New Rifle: Smith & Wessons Economical M&P10 Sport, Colt Single Action Army Clones And Replicas Vs. Originals, 8 On-Target Concealed Carry Insurance Options (2022), 10 Affordable Double-Barrel Shotgun Options (2022), Best AR-15 Options For Any Budget And Buyers Guide (2022), Best Concealed Carry Handguns For Women (2022). However, plans changed when Ithaca became aware of a patent obtained by designer John Pedersen for an improved version of the Remington Model 17, which was due to expire in 1936. The other thing is simply there are stronger systems out there. Out of stock. Weights are listed at 7.6 pounds for the 12 gauge, 7.4 pounds for the 16, 6.8 pounds for the 20, and 6.1 pounds for the 28 gauge. He did not consider it of any fundamental importance and thus it was not included in his detailed publications. I do know the 1975 will slam fire not sure about the 1977 yr or model. I'll strongly reccomend against ,"slam firing" the 40 year old used shotgun of uncertain history. The Ithaca 37 (or Model 37) is a pump-action shotgun made in large numbers for the civilian, law enforcement and military markets. Ithaca triggers. However, due to interruptions of civilian gun production during the First World War, it was 1921 before Remington could begin manufacture of the new gun. Year of Manufacture: 1975 (Per the Ithaca Serial Number Lookup and the book included with this example, Walter Claude Snyder's Ithaca Featherlight Repeaters. Here's what it's like to shoot this classic scattergun. On most models up to 1975, a second sear was installed that would drop the hammer as soon the gun went into battery if the trigger was in a depressed condition. My Ithacas will slam fire as well. WANT TO PURCHASE CALL SHOP 71`6-941-3946, SALE PENDING SALE PENDING Like new condition 26 in. . Used. The Model 37 was based on a patented John Browning design. During World War II, the government contracted with Ithaca to produced 1911A1 pistols, and at one time the company was making more than 2,000 pistols per day. The Ithaca Model 37 has had the longest production run of any pump-action shotgun. Production paused in 2005 when Ithaca once again changed hands. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Any of these that came to the factory for service were converted back to the original shell stops at no charge. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. SKU: N/A Categories: Firearms, Shotguns. He was Ithaca's head gunsmith for years before he retired. The original Ithaca Gun Co. of Ithaca, New York, was founded in 1883 and went out of business in 2005 (though a new company operates under the same name in Ohio). This allows the shoot. Get 12 Issues a year of the country's best firearms writing. By signing up you agree to Guns.com's La, Very good, some finish wear, small nicks and scratches. The Model 37 is a manually operated, slide- or pump-action shotgun fed from a tubular magazine located beneath the barrel. When the face of the bolt hits the head of the chamber, unless there is a spring around the pin to retard its movement, inertia causes the firing pin to continue forward until it is stopped on the primer of the round. The Ithaca 37 is a pump-action shotgun made in large numbers for the civilian, military, and police markets. The largest single users outside the US Military were the New York City Police Department and the Los Angeles Police Department. 12 gauge. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked modified, and 13 3/4" LOP. The 16 was made in 1965 and the 12 1974, and the 20 1975. sells for $500 plus the ride thanks for looking. They may not truly trust a semi-auto and are comforted by the simplicity of a pump. Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about. The Ithaca 37 (or Model 37 ) is a pump-action shotgun made in large numbers for the civilian, military, and police markets. . When I dress Western, nothing beats the classic good looks of my Smith & Wesson (S&W) 586 .357 revolver. Firing the gun by pulling the trigger releases the fore-end slide so it can be pulled to the rear to eject the spent shell and then pushed forward to quickly load another round into the chamber. md yx pa qb vq ig ay . still not convinced slam fire was military driven. The slam fire dates from the beginning 1937 up to circa 1975 and so may be also called the Original. Area Code: 402. Slam fire is a debated practice. WANT TO PURCHASE CALL SHHOP 716-941-3946, ITHACA DEERSLAYER 12 GAUGE 26 INCH RIFLE SIGHTS SMOOTH BORE 2 3/4in CHAMBER NEAR MINT.CHECKERED STOCK AND FOREARM, CORRECT ITHACA PAD. I have one made in 1975 that is a 20ga and another made in 1977 coming in 12 ga. . Ithaca's Model 37 has served alongside soldiers and police officers for decades, and the current Defense Gun variant brings classic looks with modern manufacturing technology. Epic 22 Pocket Pistol: The Beretta 71 Jaguar. A similar model, known as the Trench Gun, was made for the military during WWI. A Cold War era classic with smooth lines, a legendary back story, and an exotic-sounding name, Beretta's Model 71 was definitely a mouse that roared. John Browning used to work for Winchester and they designed the first auto rifles. Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com. There are several different types of semi-auto actions, but all have a more complicated operating system that can be more troublesome than a pump. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked improved cylinder, 14" LOP. Ads were bought in outdoor magazines asking owners of 1893s to send their shotguns to Winchester and be replaced by a new one, the Model 1897. Nice factory ithacagun pad.14in lop. Solid gun. 8shot 20" New in bx, Ithaca 37 Featherweight Slide Shotgun 16ga, ITHACA 37, DELUXE DEERSLAYER, SMOOTH BORE, 12 GA. WITH BSA SCOPE, ITHACA MODEL 37 16GA PLAIN BARREL 28" CHOKE FULL BRASS BEAD, Ithica Model 37 Trap ventilated Rib 12 Gauge, Smith & Wesson ~ Model 37 Airweight ~ .38 Special, ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL 20 iNCH SMOOTH BORE, Ithaca Model 37 Classic Featherlight 28 Gauge. on this subject, I have corresponded with the renowned author and US firearms expert Bruce Canfield. A pump action shotgun made for civilian, law enforcement and military use. Choke. Ithaca Model 37 Slam fire * 12 Ga * 2 3/4 chamber * Barrel length 26" * Front bead sight * No interstate sales tax This Ithaca is in used condition, The finish is worn is a few places. Used. Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. Up for sale is an Ithaca model 37. Very nice Quality. Modern CNC technology means that the machined parts are made more precisely than ever. After gearing for production of their new shotgun as the Ithaca Model 33 in 1933, Ithaca discovered a Pedersen patent that would not expire until 1937, and production had to be delayed. Ithaca Model 37 Slam fire * 12 Ga * 2 3/4 chamber * Barrel length 26" * Front bead sight * No interstate sales tax This Ithaca is in used condition, The finish is worn is a few places. In the early 70s the company went public and within a few years ran into financial troubles, sold off everything except Ithaca, and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1978, closing the plant for several months. 12 Gauge pump action shotgun with 20" barrel, full length mag tube, pistol grip, sling swivels and folding stock. Every cowboy needs a revolver. It's a featherlight model with the dog and such engravings. According to an article by the Ithaca Times dated June 11, 2003, the one-millionth Model 37 was produced in 1968; and as of 2003, more than 2,000,000 Model 37s have been produced. Thanks again! Do think it could cause any damage to the gun though if I do that fast enough? Double check on this, but suggest you add a note for 1962 that Ithaca started with truly replace/switch barrels at # 855,000. 2 3/4 inch with a fixed modified choke. Many sporting arms ceased production entirely during the same period. This means the gun would fire as fast as the. More than two million Model 37s have been produced over its 80-year history. Lay-, Metal surfaces rate near excellent, light handling marks to wood. I wanted one so bad for a while. The demand of new ITHACA GUN COMPANY 37 DS POLICE . Manufactured in 1962. The Winchester Model 12 had become very popular and was setting the standard for pump-action shotguns. $1,299.99. It later became General Recreation Inc., which added general sporting goods, outdoor clothing and catamarans to its line. Serial Number: 371659823. A total of 22,000 of these Model 37 shotguns was delivered to the Saigon government between Nov. 14, 1962 and Jan. 31, 1963. He also hangs out in the I love my Ithaca section of shotgunworld as lecky56 Its the go-to gun for those shooters who prefer its simple design over the more complicated autoloaders and the pricey doubles and over/unders. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked full, and 14" LOP. A spring then forces the bolt forward again, and in the process a fresh round is stripped out of the magazine. Learn how your comment data is processed. Editor's Note: This Collector's Corner column is an excerpt from the November 2017 issue of Gun Digest the Magazine. With a 2 3/4 in chamber it has a fixed Cyl. That obviously hasnt happened, and today, some 120 years after the first successful slide-action went on the market, the good old pump still plays a big role in the shotgun sports. An LGS has a 37 for $250. Model 12s also are drawing premium prices. What to know about the classic Ithaca Model 37 pump-action shotgun: The pump-action shotgun has been the favorite choice of many American hunters for well more than a century. Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests. The 28-gauge guns are built on a smaller receiver, which gives the model the easy handling and trim appearance one would expect for the gauge. The M&P Model served our troops well in World War II, the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War. Many shooters prefer the sighting plane of a single-barrel shotgun. An M37 will not "slamfire" unless it's broken. This page also has other serial numbers for guns made by Ithaca, LeFever, and some others. I have 3 Model 37s. And its a safety concern with some shooters. vent rib barrel with 4 choke tubes and wr, ITHACA MODEL 8700 12GA 3 INCH MAG DEERSLAYER RIFLED BORE. barrel, J-frame, blue finish, barrels a. Ithaca 37 Featherlight Slide Shotgun 12ga, Ithaca 37 Featherlight 16ga 2 3/4" Shells 28"bbl Shotgun W/ Scope MFG 1970, Ithaca 37 Featherweight Slide Shotgun 12ga, Ithaca 37 Featherlight Deerslayer Slide Shotgun 20ga, Ithaca Model 37 Defense 12ga. Each stock has a black Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. It's a featherlight model with the dog and such engravings. Gas-operated actions are dirtier due to the burnt powder that accumulates and they generally require more maintenance and cleaning. The new value of an ITHACA 37 shotgun has risen $138.11 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,117.44 . Seller: Cabelas La Vista. 12 Ga, ITHACA MODEL 37 FEATHERLIGHT PUMP 12 GAUGE 3 MAGNUM CAMO SHOTGUN. The shotgun ejects out the bottom of the receiver. He sent it back a second time and got it back again without any explanation and very little improvement. With all of the moving parts needed to make a 97 work properly, I can't imagine it was an accident. With the depression dragging on and another war looming on the horizon, it was possibly the worst time to introduce a sporting arm. Free Shipping, No Credit Card Fees. I just found the serial number page when I was attempting to establish the year of manufacture for my own 37. Wood is in very good condition. WESTERN ARMS MODEL LONG RANGE DOUBLE GUNS. CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE.CK OU, Excellent plus overall condition. 25 Improved Cylinder vent rib barrel. In the action of a typical semi-automatic firearm, the energy of a fired round forces the bolt and bolt carrier rearward, ejecting the empty case.
Jeffrey Goldberg Msnbc, Robinson Funeral Home Obituaries Little Rock, Mk11 Hardest Characters, Laura Jean Kucera Brian Anderson, Articles I