You can safely assume that any university that requests one is very committed to inclusivity and supporting their diverse population so they are looking for someone who would be supportive of that mission. In fact, we wrote a blog a few years ago on when you should write a diversity statement. We have a global, multicultural followingwe want to reflect that inside our walls. I was born in the Philippines and immigrated to the United States when I was six years old. In order to write an effective diversity statement for academic applications, it is helpful to be familiar with the types of diversity goals and initiatives that different academic institutions have. We see direct parallels between how we ignite opportunity through our company and how we ignite it within our company. Sub-Headline: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Statement of Principle. Read Bright.mds statement aboutBlack Lives Matter. Some schools that request diversity statements also provide clear instructions on how these should be written, and it makes sense to follow these directions carefully. The diversity statement is a relatively new addition to the job application portfolio. This strategy asks you to prioritize your commitments and expand upon them based on your past and current experiences, as well as your future goals. If you have not had experiences with diverse groups of students or you are not a member of an underrepresented group, then you can talk about how you would approach working with students from diverse groups and backgrounds. american.edu. You have many options for crafting your statement to emphasize the aspects of diversity most important to you. As a highly motivated and experienced professional with a proven track record in diversity and inclusion initiatives, I am confident that I would be a valuable asset to your team. Using personal life stories helps the reader connect to the writer and their story about the pursuit of diversity in law firms. Our employee lifecycle processes are designed to prevent discrimination against our people regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, citizenship, or any other aspect which makes them unique. If you're looking for a diversity statement sample PDF, here are 3 examples of companies using PDFs to get their message across about diversity: AT&T's "Everyone is Part of the Story" Diversity Report includes a diversity statement sample. Make your goals concrete in a diversity and inclusion plan. So were building a culture where difference is valued. While job ads might provide a variety of prompts for the diversity statement, the overall purpose of this text is to show that you are committed to contributing to the institution's goals surrounding diversity, equity, and inclusion. Sub-headline = Together, we can reach Equality for all. Try to find examples from successful job candidates. The mention of a chief inclusion officer and the 6-behavior approach shows that Deloitte is putting a lot into inclusivity. We are committed to an inclusive workforce that fully represents many different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints. On that same Inclusion web page, Deloitte talks about the six research-based inclusive behaviors to advance inclusion including Chief Inclusion Officer: Deloitte also has a lengthier statement of Inclusivity here:Six signature traits of inclusive leadership(includes infographic). Chapel Hill, NC 27599 As a membership body, our strength is in our promise to be inclusive, with intentional strategies to welcome and uplift historically marginalized identities and people within our field.. Your diversity statements should be chock full of positive words like: This can be useful as long as you tie it in well to your diversity statement (like Google does). Now it's time for the hard part. Although some view having a child at that age as a barrier to success, I envisioned it as motivation. In order to ensure success in today's globally competitive society, a statement of diversity and inclusion can strengthens one's job application. You also might want to reflect on how diversity is discussed on your current or most recent campus, and compare it to how diversity is discussed at the potential new campus. The Diversity Statement runs about 15% for your thoughts and 85% for your actions. Ask people who have recently served on hiring committees. Before you begin writing, you might want to review your own understanding of . Diversity and Inclusion Statement Headline:Diversity and Inclusion. Headline/Sub-Headline Uniqueness is powerful and Be yourself. And we are working to increase diversity in all our management teams. How does your course material reflect contributions from diverse perspectives? Download our "Composing Your Diversity Statement" worksheet. Ask yourself: This list of questions is not meant to be comprehensive but to help you think about how you consider diversity as a future instructor at a university. Options Community Services (OCS) provides services in one of the most diverse cities in the world. As part of the application process, applicants seeking faculty positions at UC Davis are required to submit a statement about their past, present, and future contributions to promoting equity, inclusion, and diversity in their professional careers. Specific strategies you have used to include all students in the classroom. Netflix Diversity Statement Sample Diversity Inclusion Statement Headline: Inclusion on-screen starts with inclusion in the office. Also known as an "affirmative action statement," it is typically included at the bottom of job descriptions . We hire the best, give them first-class training and set them loose. Because diversity statements continue to evolve, there is no set form. Have you worked with first-generation students? Diversity Statement Sample 8: Apple. The diversity statement signals belief that all students belong, have value, and bring unique perspectives worthy of consideration. Why I Write my Job Postings at the 8th Grade Level (or Lower!). They gave me a list of 30 diversity statements they found. There are strategies, which will be addressed below. Heres a list to check out: For a long time, the experiences and characteristics that set me apart were the things I felt compelled to suppress. hbbd``b`Z In doing so, we want every Mars Associate to feel our commitment to showing respect for all and encouraging open collaboration and communication. This handout will help you write a diversity statement in preparation for an academic job. At UC San Diego, I will work with students and faculty regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or country of origin. CarolinaGo for iOS, The Writing Center What Is a Diversity Statement, Anyway? In The Professor Is In: The Essential Guide To Turning Your Ph.D. If you like this article, you might enjoy some of Ongigs other blogs with tips on how to create diversity statements,diversity commitments, and diversity goals examples. How have you approached controversial topics, such as religion or politics, in the classroom? Apples Inclusion Statement is the key paragraph. For general guidance on constructing inclusive teaching statements for your syllabi, see this resource from Brown University. BC Housings Diversity & Inclusion Program is part of our People Strategy and reflects our vision of building an organization that attracts and leverages diversity in our staff, and strives for respect and inclusion throughout our workplace and in the communities we serve. Neglecting to consider the short term and long term goals of the university or the needs of the student population at the institution makes you appear at best unprepared or ill-informed and at worst obtuse. The Texas A&M University System Chancellor has directed leaders of its universities and agencies to stop asking job candidates for statements about their commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. How might you make your classroom inclusive? This environment of psychological safety should begin at home, within the walls of our offices, and should extend to our entire community of Curology members. It should guide your hiring, employee benefits, customer . Alliteration in the headline Adobe for All makes it memorable. Moreover, they can help you understand your audience and anticipate what information might be most pertinent or interesting to them. There is more work to be done, but with the help of our entire Ohana our employees, customers, partners, and community we can achieve #EqualityForAll. Diversity and Inclusion Statement Headline: Diversity & Inclusion. We know that diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, interests, and skills are essential to build a great product that serves ALL people. For guidance on formatting citations, please see the UNC Libraries citation tutorial. Diversity is a defining feature of California's past, present, and future. DEI statements serve two critical purposes at your company. New York: Three Rivers Press. I whittled that down to 10 that I believe are either excellent overall or at least have an idea or two for you to consider. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto. Whether it is a mistake you realize you have made before, or you are a victim of discriminations. HPEs commitment to global Inclusion & Diversity is a stand-out on its website. UCI Faculty Job Candidates' Diversity Statement Evaluation Overall purpose is to identify job skills, experience, and/or willingness to engage in diversity-type activities that could enhance campus diversity efforts. 4. Value inclusion, belonging, and equity for all. As I learned to embrace my upbringing, my sexuality, and my role as a father, I saw the value of each. Terminology - Here are some words to consider learning about before you start writing: diversity, equality, equity, inclusion, social justice. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because its the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Length = 181 words (longer but meaningful). Here, I mentored children living in underserved communities that have experienced abuse and violence at home as I have. How has the university defined diversity in the past? Diversity and Inclusion Statement Headline: Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity, WID is committed to maintaining a culture of diversity and equity in fundraising and related professions. High-level examples of DEI efforts . Googles philanthropic arm Google.org takes an ever deeper dive (check out their Inclusion statement page. Content. Thats why weve embraced a refreshed and accelerated approach to diversity and inclusion. The diversity statement is a relatively new addition to the job application portfolio. Whether related to accessibility, gender, ethnicity, age or sexual orientation, its important to find intentional ways to grow in our understanding and support of others. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Were aiming sky-high because we know from experience that reducing and eliminating inequity is hard to do if all you shoot for is incrementalchange. Your understanding of, and engagement in, diversity and . Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) statement requirements for job applicants seeking univer - sity faculty posts seem increasingly common. 3. Our work has to be internal first, so it can impact what we do externally. The best companies use 20 to 75 words for their main diversity statement (e.g. Our commitment to these values is unwavering across all of our work around the world. DEI Statement Examples. Diversity Statement Sample 7: Mars. You might consider these questions: This approach can characterize what is distinctive about your teaching and how it serves students, as well as how it expands their view of diversity. Awareness of inequities and challenges in education faced by historically Overall, this is an example of PepsiCo being different (in a great way) than many in the industry. Talk about your own experiences as a member of an underrepresented group. Increasing diversity to better reflect the population of California is fundamental to UC San Francisco's mission as a public institution and imperative to achieving its full potential. To know what needs to be kept or tossed, first brush up on diversity statement etiquette and revise accordingly. In these circumstances, the employer could select the candidates who best meet the essential criteria for the job, as they would do for non-disabled applicants. It helps remind them why theyre reading. lowest) we found! Experiencing the benefits of mentorship encouraged me to pay it forward. My role thus far has been to assist in a faculty search by providing feedback on the diversity of the applicant pool, including advocating for applicants that augment the diversity of the applicants. Let's look at a handful of best-in-class approaches: 1. And, here are some ideas for a diversity personal statement if you need one for a masters degree or resume: If you like this article, you might enjoy some of Ongigs other blogs with tips on how to create inclusion statements, diversity commitments, and diversity goals. Crafting a Diversity StatementMany graduate students preparing for career entry understand the importance of a well-crafted teaching philosophy or research statement. After all, the best talent values inclusivity. Sub-Headline = Be yourself. Diversity extends far beyond visible differences. We will work for real change and progress in diverse recruitment, hiring and advancement.. Editors Note of December 7, 2022: Since we first published this we found another 15+ awesome diversity statements so our list is now more than 25! Strong power verbs in the opening sentence (valued, appreciated, free to be who they are), They mention neurodiversity (a rare term in diversity statements it is meant to be inclusive of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other neurological differences), 8.47 grade level readability (Excellent!). We are committed to putting resources and attention toward improving the engagement, retention and promotion of the incredible talent we havewhether everyone is sharing an office or working together remotely, as we are now. You may not have substantial past activities. This lack of definition can be frustrating. As you are thinking about your statement, keep the following questions in mind, as these can help you to structure what you are writing about: Your experiences working with diverse populations will themselves be diverse, and there is no one type of experience that will be sought by search committees. Have you worked with students from rural or urban environments? Does the university have a diversity and inclusion office? At Indeed, our mission is to help all people get jobs. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. Because my mother did not receive higher education, I relied on the guidance of mentors to navigate academia. Below are some strategies for demystifying the expectations for diversity statements. To avoid falling into this trap of listing, you need to think about your specific experiences as evidence. In other words, how diversity is interpreted depends largely on the institution, its location, and its current student population. In a nutshell, the candidate should use their brains, rather than brawn, to do the job well. "A . Does your engagement with diversity help students prepare for careers in a global society? You can mention that you have researched or studied pedagogy working with diverse groups of students. If so, how? Note: If you like this article, you might also check out these 4 diversity toolsto help you write more inclusive content. We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are. First, it is important to create goals in a diversity and inclusion plan. We take the broadest possible view of diversity. Because the diversity statement is a new addition to the application portfolio, you may find that your usual mentors are unable to give you more direct guidance in its composition. Diversity statements typically do one or more of the following: Give examples of a candidate's past contributions to diversity Being aware of challenges faced by historically underrepresented populations, Community involvement beyond the university, Research activities that specifically contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion. I currently serve as a resource and mentor to incoming minority students to help them succeed through the rigors of law school. Diverse student populations have been shown to connect . If so, what are they? Highlight their headline in company colors: 9.37 grade level readability (above average). Statement, or as a separate statement. We need genius. The diversity statement is not simply a list of all the work you have done working with diverse student populations or a restatement of your CV, but it should highlight the most important aspects of how you have approached diversity in the past and include a reflection on those actions. Writing a Diversity Statement. (919) 962-7710 WID President Yolanda Johnson gives this advice to organizations re: DEI statements: Making DEI a core value helps to ensure that change will come from within the organization and will help protect these efforts from claims that it is not a priority. (source: Using words like embracing and building show their support for inclusion and diversity. Because, for our company to thrive for the next 100+ years, smart isnt enough. Creating a culture of Equality isnt just the right thing to do, its also the smart thing. In both Inclusivity statements, Google emphasizes that diversity transcends its products (they want Google the product to be inclusive) as well as their workforce. Creating a culture of Equality isnt just the right thing to do, its also the smart thing. We commit ourselves to promoting better understanding and appreciation of our human diversity; a commitment which is best realized through our individual and collective effort. These values are: put jobseekers first, pay for performance, innovation, data-driven, and inclusion & belonging which translates to creating an environment where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work and make it easy for others to do the same. Just like a company vision statement, the more straightforward, the better. Strong power nouns in the opening sentence (ideas, discoveries) tied to a diverse mix of minds, They mention neurodiversity, the term inclusive of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other neurological differences). Netflix says: It Takes Diversity Of Thought, Culture, Background, And Perspective To Create A Truly Global Storytelling Platform. Use Concrete Examples in Diversity Statements. Overall, this handout offers insights into the form and construction of an effective diversity statement. Ok, here are 25+ diversity statements that were either effective overall or have individual great nuggets to borrow from (which we highlight). September 27, 2019 by Rob Kelly in Diversity and Inclusion, How to Write a Job Description Best Practices & Examples, 4 New Tools to Help You Write More Diverse Job Descriptions, 10 Examples of Awesome Diversity Statements, 10 Examples of Great Inclusion Statements, 6 Key Steps for Job Description Management Software, Top 7 Augmented Writing Tools for Job Descriptions, 100+ Creative & Funny Job Titles [by Department & Position], Special Report: Diversity and Inclusion with Gusto, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy Statement, Inclusion Global Office of Diversity & Inclusion Infographic, Six signature traits of inclusive leadership, a 28-page annual report on Diversity & Inclusion, 7 Examples of a Great Commitment to Diversity Statement.