The Institute serves as the department of ophthalmology for Jackson Memorial Hospital and the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Casey offers experiences in almost all sub-specialties in Ophthalmology, while also giving us a solid foundation in comprehensive care., Reid Wilson, M.D., Ph.D.(he/him) Innovation in Eye Care, Research & Education, Learn how we are healing patients through science & compassion, Stanford team stimulates neurons to induce particular perceptions in mice's minds, Students from far and near begin medical studies at Stanford. Bachelor's Degree:University of Houston Support Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford and child and maternal health. The University of Pittsburgh. Residents talk about why they chose OHSU Casey Eye Institute for their training. As a resident, you get to be at the center of this amazing machine, making it a truly exceptional place to learn to be an ophthalmologist. The Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences is committed to excellence in patient care, residency training and scientific research, with emphasis on humanistic values. Outside of medicine, I have interests in creative writing, singing and theater as well as hiking and enjoying the California outdoors. Jason W. Much, MD Palo Alto, California Leslie Olsakovsky, MD Charlottesville, Virginia Contact Indiana University School of Medicine. The residency program was established in 1967 and has a strong history of producing excellent ophthalmologists and highly skilled surgeons. Ophthalmology research arm, including current innovation and internship opportunities. I spent my childhood years growing up in Sweden and Boston, MA, before moving to Philadelphia to attend undergrad at the University of Pennsylvania. Claire Frase With the tremendous support of multiple faculty, I have continued to pursue my passion for OCT research, and I dedicated my SOAR year to working in Dr. Dubra's retinal imaging lab and obtained an MS in clinical informatics management from Stanford. ", Radwa Elsharawi, M.D. By graduation, the well-liked, motivated undergraduate's primary role within the department had expanded to assisting a wide range of faculty-led clinical studies serving as a Clinical Research Assistant. Thomas Chris McCurry, MD Orlando, Florida Dr. Lu believes knowledge, passion, and compassion are the most important qualities of a great mentor. Eric W. Fitz, MD Mount Kisco, New York, Neal E. Ginsberg, MD Pittsfield, MA I believe this combination of world-renowned training within all aspects of ophthalmology and within all subspecialties coupled with the supportive culture makes Casey unique and the perfect place to train. I grew up in Minnesota aka the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Residents Backup 2018-2019; EyeMBA Program. I was fortunate enough to experience this first-hand as a medical student at OHSU and developed meaningful relationships with faculty mentors and residents. Bachelor's Degree:Augustana University I was born and raised just outside Philadelphia and attended undergrad at Smith in Massachusetts as an English major before heading back to Philly for my MD/PhD at Thomas Jefferson University, where I studied lens development and immunology. MGUH/MWHC Ophthalmology Residency Program, 110 Irving Street, NW., I recommend Casey to any resident who values the combination of outstanding research opportunities, strong resident education and having their voice be heard. Dr. Lu has been on the residency and retina fellowship selection committee at UCI's Gavin Herbert Eye Institute since 2010, helping to select numerous bright residents and fellows. Furthermore, there are ample research opportunities for residents. I then moved to Philly to begin my clinical training as a medical student at Penn Med. Long, MD Charlottesville, Virginia Current Ophthalmology Residents. After high school, I moved to France and Italy for a year and then returned to Colombia to obtain my medical degree at the Universidad de los Andes. James Kreter, MD Riverside, California Medical School: Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, "I picked Casey because of the people. ", "What stands out about Wilmer is that each team member - from the physicians and researchers, to the engineers, social workers, nurses, photographers, administrators and technicians - is so wholeheartedly dedicated to helping patients. Learn more about our current residents. Cuong D. Vu, MD Rockville, Maryland, Anita L. Breckenridge, MD Los Gatos, California University of Virginia Ophthalmology Chief Residents, Current Residents, and Previous Ophthalmology Residents However, after discussing with several mentors and those at the program, I realized how much resident input is valued here. Having a unique opportunity to do clinical research at Stanford, I found the Byers Eye Institute to be a place with a perfect blend of rigorous clinical training and innovative research which is augmented by its location in the Silicon Valley. Christopher T. Shah, MD Greensboro, North Carolina Casey had everything I was looking for. Additionally, the strong clinical training, diverse patient population, collaboration with industry, accessibility of Stanford faculty in other departments, and year-round beautiful weather made Byers Eye the perfect fit for me. As a home student, I am fortunate to experience first-hand what makes Casey Eye Institute such a reputable institution and residency program. The welcoming and nurturing attitudes of staff, residents, fellows, and faculties create a positive and exciting learning environment. "In addition to this program offering a really high quality education and a lot of focus on resident education, wellness and surgical volume, the very important reason that I chose Casey Eye Institute is that residents are being supported by their faculty. Bachelor's Degree:University of Houston I am from Pakistan and completed my medical education at the Aga Khan University in Pakistan. I am thrilled to be back at Stanford for my ophthalmology training, as I appreciate the warm and welcoming culture, the brilliant faculty who are enthusiastic about teaching and being supportive mentors, and the unique opportunities to continue pursuing my interests within ophthalmology in global health and medical education. Despite all of the not knowing that comes with this season, the feeling of being home was the reason that I chose Casey Eye Institute. Hometown: Beaverton, OR Justin N. Karlin, MD, MS Los Angeles, California Im excited to see what the next three years holds! Joshua S. Newton, MD Thomasville, Georgia, Christopher S. Ketcherside, MD Overland Park, Kansas Andrew Gross. Bachelor's Degree:University of California, DavisMedical School: Oregon Health & Science University. I am from Chapel Hill, NC. Communications Services Department of Ophthalmology. Meet Our Residents. John Forrest, MD Unknown, George Sanborn, MD Richmond, Virginia I spent my SOAR year in Dr. Stanley Qi's lab in Bioengineering/ChEM-H at Stanford, in collaboration with labs of Dr. Yang Hu and Dr. Sui Wang in ophthalmology, where I began projects in developing genome engineering technologies for ocular gene therapy. I chose Stanford because it stood out to me as a program with not only excellent clinical and surgical training, but also an amazing culture of education, mentorship, and innovation. Casey's commitment to serving the local community (and my home state) was important to me - and a big reason I chose to do my residency here. The Wilmer Eye Institute joinsthe Hopkins community to stand in solidarity with the Black community against systemic inequity and police brutality. The current retina resident, retina fellows and faculty meet to review current cases, as well as electroretinograms from clinic patients. I moved to the East Coast for my undergrad at Yale and continued on at Yale for medical school. ", Carlos Torres Quinones, M.D. Evan C. Pike, MD Peoria, Illinois Undergraduate Education The family at Casey not only looks out for their patients with the highest standards of care but also looks after each other and createsan environment of learning that, to me, has been unparalleled. ", Sarah Dugan, M.D. Eric A. Liss, MD Port Charlotte, Florida Samuel S. Masters, MD Santa Cruz, California, Bruce T. Carter, MD Charlottesville, Virginia The residents have a reputation for being very happy during their training and look back fondly on their experience here, so I thought that was a great sign that this would be an excellent overall experience. Hometown: Atlanta, GA 1305 York Ave. In medical school at Jefferson Medical College, I found myself drawn again to ophthalmology because of the cool gadgets and unique gratification that comes with preserving and restoring vision. Rodgers L. Eckhart, MD Denton, Texas Bachelor's Degree: Emory University . of Cincinnati, Glaucoma New England Eye Center/Tufts U. SOM. As a UNC freshman, Nicholas Ilgandi was a familiar face around UNC Kittner Eye Center. Ophthalmology Education & Training Research Make a Gift Home Education and Training Residency Current Residents Current Residents The purpose of our residency program is to train future leaders who will improve lives through curing, treating and preventing eye diseases. Current Residents Residency Program Director Dr. Lu has been on the residency and retina fellowship selection committee at UCI's Gavin Herbert Eye Institute since 2010, helping to select numerous bright residents and fellows. Map and directions. Lillian Wang Kim, Brian VanderBeek Medical School DO: Nova Southeastern University Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine. James Ruch, MD Unknown, Edward S. Branigan, III, MD Vero Beach, Florida I then moved to Boston, eventually getting my MD/MBA at Harvard. Sophia (Mirza) Saleem, MD New York, New York, Yun Ja Park, MD Rockville, Maryland I completed medical school at University of Michigan, where I served on the medical student council leadership and led development of a new course in healthcare disparities. I grew up serving soul food at my familys fried chicken restaurant in Michigan, where I was born and raised. Paul Phillips, MD Sewickley, Pennsylvania, Gintanjali B. Bavaja, MD Ashburn, Virginia (he/him) Hometown: San Juan, PR Bachelor's Degree: Massachusetts Institute of Technology Medical School: Harvard Medical School "I chose Casey for residency because I was immediately amazed by the quality of residents who are in this program. Paul B. Smith, Jr., MD (1931 2013), Junius E. Crowgey, MD Roanoke, Virginia, Lee A. Clark, MD Wilson, North Carolina Third-Year Residents Kyle Bolo, MD Xuan Cao, MD Rahul Iyengar, MD Eric Jung, MD Paul Lang, MD Jennifer Lopez, MD Sona Shah, MD Second-Year Residents Shaunak Bakshi, MD Austin Bohner, MD Ian Christensen, MD Christopher Chung, MS, MD Christopher Long, MD, MS Alomi Parikh, MD, MBA Abinaya Thenappan, MD First-Year Residents Yicheng Bao, MD Ryan T. Scruggs, MD Orlando, Florida, Erin E. Lichtenstein, MD Fairfield, Maine I think that really sets us apart from other programs because it really does feel like a family. I was born and raised in Bogota, Colombia, but my professional and personal pursuits have given me the opportunity to live in different places around the world. (he/him) I am excited to join the department as a SOAR resident! Bachelor's Degree:University of California, Davis I felt that at Casey, I would have the privilege of working with faculty invested in resident education and the support and resources neededto accomplish my professional goals. I am thrilled to be staying here! Ryan Ridges, MD Edmond, Oklahoma, Jason Chiappetta, MD, FACS Richmond, Virginia Grace Sun My intern year was a TY year at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. Hometown:Fremont, NE My journey in clinical ophthalmology research under supervision of Drs. And I feel like its all true. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to complete part of my PhD training at Stanford and enjoyed the collaborative atmosphere of the department as well as its many excellent research facilities. Find more COVID-19 testing locations on Maryland.gov. Address: 310 E. 14th Street South Building, 6th Floor New York, NY 10003. I'm very excited to now start clinical training alongside such wonderful co-residents and mentors. Executive Director The clinical experience is robust with a great depth ranging from weekly resident continuity clinics to unique subspecialty clinics like ophthalmic genetics and ocular oncology. Residency Education. Christopher Seekings, MD (1942 2009), Nicholas G. Cole, MD Carbondale, Colorado I worked in Dr. Vinit Mahajans lab, where my PhD research focused on using x-ray crystallography and proteomics to study the structure, function, and expression of proteins related to retinal disease. (she/her) Medical School: Wayne State University, "In addition to this program offering a really high quality education and a lot of focus on resident education, wellness and surgical volume, the very important reason that I chose Casey Eye Institute is that residents are being supported by their faculty. Mark E. Gillespie, MD Paducah, Kentucky Robert Vogel, MD Lynchburg, Virginia, Harsha A. Sen, MD Dothan, Alabama I feel Incredibly supported by the faculty here, not only in my education but that everyone is really invested in our well-being as fellow humans. As the first eye specialty hospital in America established in 1820, our founding mission remains unchanged. Please contact Andrea Davis, Residency Program Coordinator, for more information: 214-648-0464. Robert McCormick, MD Unknown There, I fell in love with the operating room and found my most meaningful time to be in several community clinics. Tom Berenberg My foray into ophthalmology unknowingly began my senior year, when I built a text-to-braille device for senior design. ", Momoko Ponsetto, M.D. Greetings and welcome to the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Cincinnati. (he/him) OHSU is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution. We have a thoughtful clinical and surgical curriculum with numerous research and volunteering opportunities. George Parlitsis, Kristine Yin During my residency search, I was drawn to Stanford because of its exceptional clinical training, abundant research opportunities, and close proximity to Silicon Valley. Taking call with the senior residents is so nice because you never feel scared of asking for help. Current Residents | Ophthalmology | Stanford Medicine Current Residents Education Residency Program Class of 2023 Alejandro Arboleda, MD I'm from Miami, FL. As a Wilmer resident, you will be mentored by a dedicated faculty of over 100 experts. ", Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Bachelor's Degree: University of Virginia, Medical School: University of Michigan Medical School, Medical School: Oregon Health & Science University, Bachelor's degree: Abilene Christian University, Medical School: University of Texas Houston Medical School, During the interview process, you hear the phrase, 'when you find your home you will know it!' Join us on Instagram to get a first hand look at life as a Wilmer resident. I got hooked on ophthalmology during my M2 year, after I scrubbed for surgery and sat at the operating microscope with retina-surgeon/scientist Dr. Amani Fawzi. (Timothy) Brooks Owens, Jr., MD Lancaster, South Carolina Its like a dream., Dr. Geoff Tabin selected for New York Times 2020 Holiday Impact Prize, Dr. Jeffrey Goldberg elected to National Academy of Medicine, Byers Eye Institute at Stanford hosts Collaborative Community on Ophthalmic Imaging conference, Shining the light on concussion related vision disorders in adolescents, Three Stanford trainees place in top 10 for ASRS awards, Introducing: the new Center for Optic Disc Drusen at Stanford, Updates on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), Rare eye disease is focus of new Stanford Medicine center, DIYs at risk for increase in eye injuries during Coronavirus (COVID-19) sheltering-in-place, Stanford Ophthalmology Flash Mob June 2020, Investigating disparities in eye cancer treatment, Cataract surgery in infancy increases glaucoma risk, Two ophthalmology residents receive NANOS award nominations, Dr. Shue recipient of American Glaucoma Society research award, Dr. Tawna Roberts selected as co-vice chair for pediatric vision research group, Register for Stanford Retina Innovation Summit 2021, Telelgenetics for COVID19 Manuscript published, Dr. Do ranks in Top 100 Women in Ophthalmology Power List for 2021, Targeting a Human Protein Prevents SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Mice, Molecular clues could signal eye cancer survival odds, Korot recipient of Ronald G Michels Fellowship Foundation award, Register for the Cole Eye Institute and Byers Eye Institute Retina Fellow Surgical Rounds, Dr. Mruthyunjaya to join talented group of uveitis panelists, The Byers Eye Institute ranks top 5 in national research funding rankings, Call for Proposals: 2022 Stanford Global Health Seed Grants, YOU'RE INVITED: 2022 Optic Disc Drusen Hybrid Conference, Why Giving Matters: Gaining Insight Into Vision Loss, How Vision Loss Helped Me See the World in a New Light, Multidisciplinary team develops new CRISPR platform for gene therapy, The Risk of Ignoring Signs of Retinal Damage, Kicking off Stanfords SIGHT Glaucoma Registry, Women in Ophthalmology Summer Symposium Registration Open, Medical Student Awarded RPB Research Fellowship, An eye-brain connection: Groundbreaking advancements for neurorehabilitation patients, Biorepository: A new key to precision health, Eyecare at all ages: Bringing vision restoration to pediatric patients, New center tackles rapidly growing myopia prevalence, My second chance at sight: A patients hopeful journey after optic nerve stroke, Global impact: Generous donors support global health efforts for cataract blindness, A hopeful view on eyesight: Grateful patient celebrates Dr. Kuldev Singhs 30th anniversary in 2022, Stanford Belize Vision Clinic: Training the next generation of eye care providers, Training for global care: Ophthalmology resident sets up two eye care programs in the Middle East, Mentorship leads to new gene therapy discoveries, 3D bioprinting to eliminate corneal blindness, Inventing a new outlook: Restoring sight with electronic photoreceptors and augmented reality glasses, Tele-Ophthalmology: Digital care in a digital world, The joy of giving sight: Generous donors fund innovative breakthroughs for retinal diseases, Advancing optic disc drusen research: Stanford scientists provide hope, From mother to patient: A patients rare diagnosis plays a pivotal role in a multi-center study, Young patients receive sight restoring lenses, Cross-department team effort conquers rare inflammatory eye disease, Vision restoration in glaucoma: A donors gift accelerates translation from lab to clinic, A global career path: Health equity and female empowerment, Pursuing excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion, Advancing clinical research in the age of COVID-19, Improving ophthalmologic care through artificial intelligence, Solving corneal blindness with implantable video technology, SOAR Residency Program lays foundation for independent research careers, Creating a field of molecular surgery to guide new therapies, Developing cures with stem cells and regenerative medicine. Stephanie Hsu. First Year Resident in Ophthalmology. 412-647-2200. Phone: (646) 962-2020. PGY4. Mira Lim And the people here are one of a kind I only connected with my resident class this year, and were already so close. ", Amy Pohodich, M.D., Ph.D.(she/her) Michael S. Tanner, MD Lexington, Kentucky After college, I joined Google[x] Life Sciences (Verily) as a Software Engineer and worked on a variety of projects, ranging from Multiple Sclerosis genomics to cloud security. (she/her) As a SOAR resident, I plan to combine my interest in cellular and molecular neuroscience with vision science to study neurodegenerative diseases of the retina and optic nerve. Med School:Meharry Medical College , Nashville, TN, College:Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, Med School:UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical SchoolPiscataway, NJ, College:Sophie Davis Biomedical Education Program, NY, Med School:City University of New York School of Medicine (CUNY), NY, College:University of California, Berkeley, CA, Med School:Touro College of Osteopathic - New York (TouroCOM-NY), College: University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, Med School: University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, College: University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, Med School: U Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY, College: University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, Med School: David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, Med School: Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, Internship: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, Internship: Mount Sinai Beth Israel, New York, NY, College: New York University, NY, NYMed School: George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, DCInternship: St. Johns Riverside Hospital, Yonkers, NY, College: London School of Economics, London, United Kingdom, Med School: University of Glasgow Medical School, Glasgow, UK, Internship: Metrowest Medical Center, Framingham, MA, College: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, Med School: Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ, Michael Klufas Stephen A. Daughtery, MD Charlotte, North Carolina She started her position as the ophthalmology residency program director in 2020, and prior to that, she was the associate program director for 5 years. Tania Paul, Benjamin Levine I joined the lab of Dr. Jeffrey Goldberg studying the role of protein synthesis and transport in neurodegenerative diseases like glaucoma and developing methods to preserve vision in patients with such conditions. I feel like everyone is approachable not only with learning but with research, so if I was interested in pursuing a certain research project I dont have to hesitate or worry. Oregon Health & Science University is dedicated to improving the health and quality of life for all Oregonians through excellence, innovation and leadership in health care, education and research. John W. Prenshaw, MD Greenville, North Carolina, Andrew J. Mincey, MHS, MD Greensboro, North Carolina
Willys Jeep Engine Block Casting Numbers, Florida Disaster Relief For Teachers 2022, Carol Hughes Comedian, Articles O